• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is this a suitable heavy revolver for target shooting?
    I've not had any luck looking for any used .22 revolvers that either are not the cheaper Heritage western kind or they cost nearly what I can get them for new at Hoosier Armory.
    I'm wanting the S/W 617 or Ruger GP100 or Taurus 992.
    I want that type b/c of the heavier weight and they are SS.
    Is this gun an older Taurus or what?
    B/C of price, if this is a gun like those (except not SS), or should it be avoided?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found this on it:
    The Comanche l (maybe the "1"is a SS) .22 LR cal. 9 shot double action revolver made in Argentina, a 6” full lug barrel, adjustable rear sight; finger groove rubber grips and weighs ~39 oz. This revolver is not finished like a Colt or a Smith (but it also isn't priced like one). It is a good functional revolver, a good shooter.

I am going tomorrow after church and lunch to buy it, so I can have the style that I want.
    If I can't find
    a SS, I'll have to live with this one for now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I decided to take a chance; I mean, how wrong can a used .22 be.
    I used to own a dozen cheap .22s in my 20s and part of my 30s w/o issue.
    I picked up the Comanche 1 (not a 2) and it looked fine and was heavy like I wanted.
    I don't know guns that much anymore after being away from it since about 1990, but it looked like a Taurus imitation.
    A fine $175 gun for me to play with until I can find a used Stainless Steel S/W 617, Ruger GP100 or Taurus 992.
    I drove 45 minutes to pick it up (on vacation now, so travel time not matter) after church and eating out with friends.
    Drove 40 minutes directly to the range.
    I could not get the spent shells out.
    Sometimes I could muscle them out, but sometimes not.
    The range master (not know the correct name) got an allen wrench and let me use it to push the shells out individually, which took herculean strength of my youth, ha!
    After running 10 rounds of Federal Automatch, which were the worst to get out, I used some Remingtons that were hard, but not as impossible.
    The owner said he didn't have much trouble when he used CCIs with the gun, when we talked about it.
    The range master told me he had a gun that did this and it didn't matter what he ran through it.
    He discussed the machining was such that it wasn't as "to specs" and it allowed the spent shell to expand in the cylinder (if I understood him correctly).
    After running about 7 sets of 10 rounds through it: I was done.
    I'd been better off to have bought a single action western style (that I didn't want to do).
    So, I thought I'd try to trade it in on a good gun, but after confessing the problem I had, I wasn't hopeful I'd get my $175 back toward a trade.
    I texted the man I bought it from and told him the gun was of no use to me, and the issue I was having.
    He told me to bring it back: I was thrilled. It is what I would have done, but of course, I would have spelled out the problem and sold it as a $50 gun.
    I drove back to the city where I bought it: 45 minutes, got my $$, then drove 45 minutes home.
    I had a wonderful drive in the convertible today, but not what I had planned.
    I bought 5 targets for use with the .22, planning to run about 700 rounds through it, but I only used 1 target (it had 5 silhouettes on each).
    The gun shot well, I could do head shots w/o issue, except for my pulling to the left and low, ha!
    Gun wasn't at fault, I had the same problem with my other 3 guns of higher caliber, or even the .22 Victory.
    I was warned; I didn't take the hint.
    I would love to have a "cheaper" gun that was functional while waiting for a used one to come along.
    I thought this was the answer.
    I was so mad that I might have gone to Hoosier Armory today and bought the Ruger GP100 on sale for $600 if they had been open, but they weren't. I called and was going to go by and hold the Ruger GP100 in my hand (again).
    I am still tempted, but I'd like to find it used and save the taxes.
    Yes, I'm "thrifty."
    If I go that route, should I just wait for a 992 Taurus to be available ($500) but none are in stock for that price anymore, that I can find.
    At Buds, I saw an online ad for $369 to the 992, and even with shipping that would still make it $100 cheaper than my "benchmark" place Hoosier Armory.
    But, not in stock (old ad I guess).
    And, if I was going to get the Ruger GP100 this week, should I spend the extra $$ and just get the S/W 617 for $690? (I cringe even putting it into print)
    Or, go cheaper and look at the Charter Arms Pathfinder, 4.2 barrel 6 rounds, only 18-24 oz?
    Then there is the Rossi 98 (non-SS, though) for $270.
    Give advice. Of course I'm looking for justification to save money on something besides the best at $700ish.
    I know I can be happy with less, as long as it is functional, and I do want the SS as a splurge.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Save your cash and bur a S&W or a RUGER you will only cry once because of the cost ,not because of the gun

This!!

There comes a point when being thrifty is being cheap and just doesn't pay. Without knowing the guns and doing the research this would be my advice. Of course I would still do the research.Find the forum where users of these guns talk about them and check them out.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Save your cash and bur a S&W or a RUGER you will only cry once because of the cost ,not because of the gun
    1. That's what I was thinking as I was leaving the range!

Buy once, Cry once
    1. Since I'm in a weakened condition after my experience today, I hear you!

This!!

There comes a point when being thirty is being cheap and just doesn't pay. Without knowing the guns and doing the research this would be my advice. Of course I would still do the research.Find the forum where users of these guns talk about them and check them out.
    1. Do you think I'm 30? If so, you are my new best friend. :laugh:
    2. If what you are saying is: since I am not 30, quit acting like I have to watch every penny now that I'm an old man, and enjoy spending for quality, I have
    told myself the same thing.

Note to all: From what you said you are dismissing the "lesser" guns.
    Are you putting the Taurus in the same boat and not competitive with the 617 and the GP100?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    1. That's what I was thinking as I was leaving the range!

1. Since I'm in a weakened condition after my experience today, I hear you!

1. Do you think I'm 30? If so, you are my new best friend. :laugh:
    2. If what you are saying is: since I am not 30, quit acting like I have to watch every penny now that I'm an old man, and enjoy spending for quality, I have
    told myself the same thing.

Note to all: From what you said you are dismissing the "lesser" guns.
    Are you putting the Taurus in the same boat and not competitive with the 617 and the GP100?

Sorry thrifty and not thirty.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry thrifty and not thirty.

Then point taken.
    An analogy: I have driven Toyota Corollas for 30 years.
    Not b/c I couldn't afford to buy anything else, but I thought they were the best value.
    I didn't need a Camry, or an Accord.
    I view the S/W as the Lexus: desirable, but not worth double the price for its function.
    Which gun brand is the Corolla equivalent?
    I thought it was the Taurus, based on my limited insight.
    For example, I have a Charter Arms .38 SS even though it is not a top tier brand, but it will serve as a home protection tool that will be fired rarely.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Then point taken.
    An analogy: I have driven Toyota Corollas for 30 years.
    Not b/c I couldn't afford to buy anything else, but I thought they were the best value.
    I didn't need a Camry, or an Accord.
    I view the S/W as the Lexus: desirable, but not worth double the price for its function.
    Which gun brand is the Corolla equivalent?
    I thought it was the Taurus, based on my limited insight.
    For example, I have a Charter Arms .38 SS even though it is not a top tier brand, but it will serve as a home protection tool that will be fired rarely.

Sounds like you know what you want and what works best for you. Typically that's not the direction I take as I'm generally willing to pay a bit more to get something I desire. This approach works best for me.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I have a Taurus tracker. It's got a timing issue that Taurus warranties. It'd shoot better than I can, though, and all my kids love it. It's a preferred handgun when we go to the range. I've still got a Taurus 85 ultra light. Not a bad piece. My brother had a 6" 454 casull that we would run speed drills with. Silly, yes. But fun. I have nothing bad to say about Taurus at all. I was at a gun shop near Tipton many years ago and a customer came in with a box of parts that used to be a Taurus big bore revolver until a reload didn't work out. The shop called Taurus customer service and was told to ship the handgun to them and they appreciated the business. No, sir. I have nothing but good things to say about Taurus. You are not paying for the refinement of a Smith and Wesson, but you know that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you know what you want and what works best for you. Typically that's not the direction I take as I'm generally willing to pay a bit more to get something I desire. This approach works best for me.[/QUOTE

=hog slayer;7125828]I have a Taurus tracker. It's got a timing issue that Taurus warranties. It'd shoot better than I can, though, and all my kids love it. It's a preferred handgun when we go to the range. I've still got a Taurus 85 ultra light. Not a bad piece. My brother had a 6" 454 casull that we would run speed drills with. Silly, yes. But fun. I have nothing bad to say about Taurus at all. I was at a gun shop near Tipton many years ago and a customer came in with a box of parts that used to be a Taurus big bore revolver until a reload didn't work out. The shop called Taurus customer service and was told to ship the handgun to them and they appreciated the business. No, sir. I have nothing but good things to say about Taurus. You are not paying for the refinement of a Smith and Wesson, but you know that.

1. I want the Taurus, but it's not available.
    2. But, the advice I'm getting is to spend more for the Ruger or even the S/W

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much made up my mind to get the S/W 617, or the GP100 if I want to save a few bucks, since the Taurus 992 not available.
    Was going to go to Hoosier Armory today after the Honda shop, but I might be stranded b/c of a small issue that wasn't the problem (self-diagnosis), and it is an axle issue: NO!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This!!

There comes a point when being thrifty is being cheap and just doesn't pay. Without knowing the guns and doing the research this would be my advice. Of course I would still do the research.Find the forum where users of these guns talk about them and check them out.

I just popped in because I agree with what Dddrees said.....And that doesn't happen very often....:)

He's right.....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Pretty much made up my mind to get the S/W 617, or the GP100 if I want to save a few bucks, since the Taurus 992 not available.
    Was going to go to Hoosier Armory today after the Honda shop, but I might be stranded b/c of a small issue that wasn't the problem (self-diagnosis), and it is an axle issue: NO!

If you are willing to go used a Smith model 17 or 18 can be a joy....I got this one at a local gun shop for $400...She's ugly as sin but shoots straight and guilt free.....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you are willing to go used a Smith model 17 or 18 can be a joy....I got this one at a local gun shop for $400...She's ugly as sin but shoots straight and guilt free.....

Not having any luck at all finding any used .22s, and when I do they are wanting close to new price. :dunno:
    So, I'm headed up now to get the Ruger GP100 new for $600 at Hoosier Armory.

Top Bottom