• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I'm starting to get an interest in revolvers and getting frustrated. The other day, I found myself looking at the revolvers at a LGS and came to realize I'm basically an idiot with them. I'm learning, but slowly. For example, I saw a S&W 642-1. What in the blazes does the "-1" mean? Not the first time I've seen it either. When I looked at the S&W site, they have a 642, airweight 642, lady smith 642, but no 642-1. Now to make things even more confusing to me, I look at the 642, and it says "Airweight" on it. So what is the difference between a 642 and 642 airweight?!?!? are they trying to be as confusing to new shooters as possible?

Thanks for letting me vent and ask questions. I appreciate it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The -1 indicates some (usually slight) design change from the original 642. S&W does that with most, if not all their revolvers (ie., Model 66, Model 66-1, Model 66-2, etc.). If you browse online sites like Gunbroker, you will often see a revolver advertised as "no dash", meaning that it's an original model.

The Airweight has a frame that is made from a lighter weight material than the standard 642. Just a descriptive term meaning it's a light weight revolver.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    The -1 indicates some (usually slight) design change from the original 642. S&W does that with most, if not all their revolvers (ie., Model 66, Model 66-1, Model 66-2, etc.). If you browse online sites like Gunbroker, you will often see a revolver advertised as "no dash", meaning that it's an original model.

The Airweight has a frame that is made from a lighter weight material than the standard 642. Just a descriptive term meaning it's a light weight revolver.

all 642 models are "airweights" to my knowledge. 642 models are always aluminum frames with steel barrels, yokes, etc. I don't think you'll find any other construction or materials used in the 642.

the model 640 is full stainless steel and heavier.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not a Wikipedia fan, but this link has good info on the changes with the dash-numbers.

• 19 (1957): Stamping of model number.
    • 19-1 (1959): Change extractor rod, right to left-hand thread.
    • 19-2 (1961): Cylinder stop changed, deleted triggerguard screw.
      • (1963): Introduce 6" barrel.
      • (1963): 50 manufactured with 2.5" barrel, serial range K544672–K544721.
      • (1966): Introduce 2.5" barrel as standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_19

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    A 642-1 would be more desirable in the marketplace compared to the 642-2 due to the fact that it does NOT contain the internal lock.

S&W has been making a few different models without the internal lock over the past few years. 642 and 442 are being made with and without the Hillary hole.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I personally avoid Airweight revolvers, too light for me to shoot on a regular basis, they have more felt recoil.

I bought a seriously light weight revolver, but not for the weight factor.
    I bought a total titanium Taurus revolver because everything else I had carried prior was subject to rusting due to sweat.
    No worries with the titanium.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville

Thanks. Is there somewhere that indicates what the changes are?

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    A 642-1 would be more desirable in the marketplace compared to the 642-2 due to the fact that it does NOT contain the internal lock.

S&W has been making a few different models without the internal lock over the past few years. 642 and 442 are being made with and without the Hillary hole.

Assuming a Hillary hole is the same as an internal lock? Is an internal lock some sort of safety?

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Assuming a Hillary hole is the same as an internal lock? Is an internal lock some sort of safety?

The internal lock, aka "Hillary hole" is an unnecessary locking mechanism that uses a key to essentially lock the internals of the revolver rendering it useless.

There have been some reports of the internal lock engaging during firing. I believe this is mostly with lightweight frame magnum revolvers.

I have a 442-1 (same as a 642, except blued steel cylinder/barrel) which is no lock.

Most prefer the look of the frame without the hole in the side for the key and no risk of the gun locking up at the most inopportune time.

I wish S&W would move away from the lock entirely, but it probably won't happen.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks. Is there somewhere that indicates what the changes are?

I'd imagine someone might know on the S&W forum, but you might even try Google and see where it leads (assuming someone here doesn't chime in). Sounds like some of the other guys earlier in the thread are more knowledgeable about the 642s than I am. I've only had K frames.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

And for your graduate work and thesis...

DSC05458.JPG

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom