• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So, I came across a good (maybe great) deal on a S&W 342 Airlite Ti (Titanium). The thing is stupid light. I remember when they were selling these new back in the day and they would hang them from helium balloons and let them float over the tables. It's an early no-lock model with the laminated wood grips. It came in the original case with the normal stuff, and it looks awesome! I always wanted one back in the day, and this just fell in my lap so I picked it up.

BUT......... I don't know if I want to keep it now. I took it to the range and holy hell it is the most uncomfortable and painful thing I've ever shot, and that's just with regular old 38 spl loads!!! I couldn't even imagine running +P loads through it! I actually bought a box of the Hornady Critical Defense Lite to give a try and see if that's any better. Granted, I know if it was actually needed I probably wouldn't be worrying to much about it.

So all that said do any of you have any experience with this particular model? or even some of the current light weight offerings from other manufacturers. Do hogue rubber grips make it any more comfortable to practice with? any other thoughts?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Hi Clay, that's one of the issues with really light guns. The physics do not bode well concerning the recoil impulse. Before you give up on it, try some different grips. A better fit in your hand can make worlds of difference. Or put your big boy pants on and shoot it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No, it is not a range toy. When I shoot mine, I always concentrate on a convulsive grip on the gun, which is advised for defensive shooting.
    If you decide you don't want it, I might be interested in buying it.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I shoot wadcutters in all of my "airweight" and "airlite" j-frames for both practice and self-defense. A wadcutter will excede the FBI minimum penetration requirement for defensive ammunition, but they will not expand; however the flat face and sharper shoulder of the bullet should cause more damage than a standard round nose bullet. Also, with wadcutters I find that I'm faster and more accurate and they are much more pleasant to shoot.

This is an excellent article about using wadcutters for defense in small, lightweight revolvers:
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wadcutter-ammo-self-defense/

And here is a link that shows how they perform in ballistics gel tests:
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    so what grips did you guys have on yours? I don't know that I have many options.

We don't have a Ti version, just normal 642's. My wife has some problems with her wrist from work. Her 642LS came with those reddish wood grips and she hated them. I tried it and they really sucked, very harsh. She tried my 642 with the factory rubber grips and said it was better but still hurt. Next was the Hogue small grip, she said it felt about the same as far as recoil goes. Finally she went with the Hogue monogrip and that took most of the sting out of it. The monogrip is a little longer and covers the back of the grip, all the others were flush with the rear so your hand was against the metal. While not huge, the monogrip does add a little size to it

SD ammo still hurts her wrist. Wadcutters, either factory or home loaded, are better and she uses those to practice with.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I carry mine with a desantis clip grip but if I even think about going to the range I'll swap that for a rubber grip. That being said, I was shooting mine quite a bit so as to be a respectable shooter with such a diminutive piece.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, I came across a good (maybe great) deal on a S&W 342 Airlite Ti (Titanium). The thing is stupid light. I remember when they were selling these new back in the day and they would hang them from helium balloons and let them float over the tables. It's an early no-lock model with the laminated wood grips. It came in the original case with the normal stuff, and it looks awesome! I always wanted one back in the day, and this just fell in my lap so I picked it up.

BUT......... I don't know if I want to keep it now. I took it to the range and holy hell it is the most uncomfortable and painful thing I've ever shot, and that's just with regular old 38 spl loads!!! I couldn't even imagine running +P loads through it! I actually bought a box of the Hornady Critical Defense Lite to give a try and see if that's any better. Granted, I know if it was actually needed I probably wouldn't be worrying to much about it.

So all that said do any of you have any experience with this particular model? or even some of the current light weight offerings from other manufacturers. Do hogue rubber grips make it any more comfortable to practice with? any other thoughts?

I owned a Smith M&P 340 for a while, so I know your pain. Two things really helped me: a new grip and apex trigger springs/firing pin.

The trigger system helped me to better stage my shots. The grip I used was actually a Taurus model 85/605 grip. You have to drill out part of the rubber for a bottom pin to fit, but otherwise it was great. I liked that it also covered the trigger guard, but didn't extend much lower than the stock grips. The difference was night and day for .357s. I am not a fan of longer grips, like the Hogue Monogrip. Another grip option that is compact and has good reviews is the Pachmayr compac.

I don't have much to say on the ammo choices, as you'll want a hot 38 +P for defense (IMO). But, if you are unsure about performance, feel free to reference this great website: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

Edit: found picture for reference

w1wl6b.jpg
    For what it is worth, I now carry a LCR in 357 and love it much more than my M&P. It is a tiny bit larger, but a much better gun for me. Best of luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom