• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    :rockwoot: Went to the range with my dad today. I decided to rent a 1911 just for the heck of it. Neither my dad nor I had shot one before, nor had either of us shot a .45 before. Wow! It was such a great shooter. Felt great in the hand. The recoil was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Just fantastic! And, sadly, now I want one. I blame INGO for this. Had I never found this site, I would never have thought about what I was missing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welcome to the club.
    1 is to many and 6 is not close to enough.

There are a lot of nice platforms out there that fit many different needs/wants.
    A good 1911 is just, well, special.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    :rockwoot: Went to the range with my dad today. I decided to rent a 1911 just for the heck of it. Neither my dad nor I had shot one before, nor had either of us shot a .45 before. Wow! It was such a great shooter. Felt great in the hand. The recoil was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Just fantastic! And, sadly, now I want one. I blame INGO for this. Had I never found this site, I would never have thought about what I was missing.

As is said on INGO... "Take responsibility for your own actions" The 1911 will spoil you. They reproduce at a wallet reduction rate, and the old .45acp is a pure beast.
    Welcome to 1911s anonymous.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As is said on INGO... "Take responsibility for your own actions" The 1911 will spoil you. They reproduce at a wallet reduction rate, and the old .45acp is a pure beast.

Hey Harry....they moved the meetings down to the basement over past the boilers..........

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Welcome to the club.
    1 is to many and 6 is not close to enough.

There are a lot of nice platforms out there that fit many different needs/wants.
    A good 1911 is just, well, special.

I think I need to try out a 9mm version. I know the physical appearance/fit should be similar (right??), but is the shooting experience similar? Just less recoil? The only thing that's making me hesitate, besides my current budget, is the cost of .45 vs 9.

I think I need a pre1911 Anonymous. Is there an invention group to stop would be 1911 owners from jumping in??? If/When I take the plunge, at least I know where to the find the meetings!!

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Exactly. I have owned 2 9mm 1911'a and the shooting experience was Meh.
    Accurate, yes.....Recoil, less.....reacquire of target....sure.
    Fun......I will keep the .45ACP's

Now the 2 10 mm pieces.....:cool:

Having old and sore hands I'm glad for all these things. I still get a 1911 and I can actually enjoy it.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Liked the 1911 but are keen on 9mm you say? Grab a CZ75b and try it before you settle o your next purchase.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    You are shooting a gun designed to shoot that bullet. If you want to shoot 9mm shoot it from the gun the same guy invented to shoot 9mm.
    but really were all just guys who like shootin guns. So if a 9mm 1911 is what makes you want to go out and play then do that thing.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    9mm 1911? Who would do such a terrible thing?
    I just bought a double stack 9mm 1911! ;)
    That being said my .45 Springfield is the gun I feel is most special in my collection and I shoot it regularly.

If if you really want to get in too deep get the .45 and you and your dad start reloading to be able to justify regular range trips. In addition to the cost savings you can soften the load a bit.

I read somewhere that the 1911 is a lot like a Harley Davison, it may not be the bestest, fastest, or newest but definitely has a classic and timeless appeal.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Is that because the Hi-Power is better than a 1911 in 9 or because a 9mm 1911 is blasphemy?

We poke a lot of fun here on INGO so determine what is goofing around, what is sincere and what is pure BS.

CM is not a fan of 9mm 1911's. That's sincere. He just likes the feel of the .45 when he touches off a round or seven.

Other's are power junkies and they want as much fire, recoil and noise that they can get.

After all the posts you will read, you decide what you want. I went through 3 1911's in .45 based on internet chatter. I then bought a 9mm 1911 based on what I was looking for. And you know what? It is hands down my favorite pistol! Most times it's the only gun I take to the range(with the exception of my carry gun). Heck, recently I bought a $1300 CZ Custom and I can't seem to warm up to it. I still prefer the 1911.

Do the research, try some out and buy what you want. Trust me. You will be happier in the long run and will not make purchases you regret later.

BTW, I have sold at least three 1911 9mm that I know of and possibly 1-2 more just by having someone shoot mine at the range.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    You sir have found a real nice pistol the 1911 it's iconic I can't add to what has been said. Some will say you have to be old and grumpy to own a outdated 1911 they will tell you all about the ballistics the weight, how there is so much better out there for less. But here is the kicker you are buying it you have to feed it clean up after it. So get what you want. Yes I do have 2 1911's in 45 acp and 1 in 9 mm. I shoot the 9 mm more because I have a lot of 9 ammo. But I enjoy the 45 it just feels great but the cost for ammo is high just a thought buy 1000 rounds on line once the pain is over faster. Just enjoy life get what you want and have fun.

Top Bottom