• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    I have a user grade S&W M1917. (My classification.) Mechanically, good condition. The bore is pretty nice. BUT, the exterior, not so much. Part of the military stamping on the buttframe is gone. Filed off. There is some speckling of rust here and there. The remaining finish is roughly 75-80% or so. It was in this condition at the time it was acquired through an estate auction. I've been toying with the idea of using Evapo Rust to remove all of the finish and corrosion, and then to go ahead and use Oxpho Blue to put a decent, serviceable finish on this, and to remove any existing corrosion permanently.

This isn't a collector's item, so my thoughts are there really won't be any downside to doing this. I'm interested in what the thoughts might be on the part of other forum members.

Thanks,

JGalt

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It's your gun. Do what makes you happy.

The collectors value of a reblued gun doesn't go down provided it is given the same finish as original, and the job is done well. (for intents and purposes the gun is still original, so what harm was done? You wouldn't loose value if you replaced a worn or chipped grip with a pair of new old stock factory grips - why would another application of the original finish, properly done, harm the value?)

People just don't like to see reblued guns that were OBVIOUSLY reblued - like a Colt that doesn't have that signature deep luster blue, or a gun that has obvious pitting spots under a perfect finish, or a cold blue job where the person obviously didn't disassemble the gun (different finish under the grips, cylinder catch, ect.) A finish job that looks professional won't hurt the value of anything.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Get a good professional reblue, gun will look better and you will probably improve resale value based on your description of it now.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You will never recoup the cost of the re bluing. But it is your gun to do what you want . I would do some checking to find out it's collectors value as it sits before you decide . would have it hot blued as the cold blue does not last

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you're planning on getting some use out of it, and why not, I'd do something to keep it from deteriorating any more. I've used Oxpho Blue and had good results. Here's a write up of it a couple of years ago:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/330645-legend-argentine-pistols-6.html

This was three years ago and I've carried and shot them quite a bit. I would say the patina is more grayish than when first done but is uniform and seems to do a good job of protecting the weapon from further rust or decay. YMMV of course. Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom