• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I put this in earlier today but I don't see it; I must have done something wrong.
    2. I looking at used semi-automatics used; I'm not sure which to avoid for personal carry.
    3. I getting my LTCH (in the mail), and I haven't carried since 1990ish.
    4. I have a Colt Mustang .380, and perhaps I should just be content with that since I'm not concerned about alot of stopping power.
    5. I have a .22 magnum NAA, also.
    6. I have seen some good prices on used items:
    a. Taurus PT-111 G2, 9mm: $230
    b. Taurus PT 709 slim 9mm: $180
    c. Taurus 740 .40: $180
    d. Taurus 24/7 .40 Bi-Tone: $200
    e. Springfield XDS 9mm 3.3 blk: $320
    f. S/W Shield 9mm: $280
    g. S/W 40VE .40: $180
    h. Sig P250 9mm: $300
    i. Kahr CW9 9mm: $270
    j. Keltic P-11 9mm: $190
    7. I don't know what brands to stay away from.
    8. I don't want to spend alot, I don't know why I wouldn't go for a sub $200 gun like S/W or Taurus.
    9. It won't get shot much except for a test run at the range.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Buy the shield before the end of the month for the $75 rebate.

can't beat the shield for the price and it's top notch equipment.. Get some training, you don't know what you don't know until you do.

1. I wonder if the price for $280 for the shield up in Westfield at marksman shooting including des rebate or it comes off that price?
    2. Good point about the training. My best friend who is an avid hunter and owns many rifles and handguns had to go through a training course in Arizona to get his carry permit and he noted that he learned much and it was very beneficial and he was early 60s.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you don't want to spend a lot; stick with the Colt. It's a solid little performer. You can spend the few hundred on ammo and training. If you can shoot that .380 proficiently; you'll be able to shoot anything.

If you must buy - the Shield is the buy right now. Springfield is a good choice. Sig isn't my preference but its a good little gun.

My preferred CCW is a Sig P938 but its higher than your stated price range.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Get your hands on as many as you can and find what's comfortable for you. There's no way any of us can tell you what you will be comfortable with. Then practice. A lot. So much that you don't have to think about what you are doing. And buy a good holster. The best gun to have in a gun fight is the one you have.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    1. I wonder if the price for $280 for the shield up in Westfield at marksman shooting including des rebate or it comes off that price?
    2. Good point about the training. My best friend who is an avid hunter and owns many rifles and handguns had to go through a training course in Arizona to get his carry permit and he noted that he learned much and it was very beneficial and he was early 60s.

Usually the rebate is a mail-in deal through S&W directly. Whatever the store has it listed at is before rebate.

It's been said already, but if you must buy, get the Shield. Now. If not, keep your .380 and learn to shoot it effectively.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you don't want to spend a lot; stick with the Colt. It's a solid little performer. You can spend the few hundred on ammo and training. If you can shoot that .380 proficiently; you'll be able to shoot anything.

If you must buy - the Shield is the buy right now. Springfield is a good choice. Sig isn't my preference but its a good little gun.

My preferred CCW is a Sig P938 but its higher than your stated price range.

You can get the Taurus 111 and 709 new for the prices you have listed. Have a few hundred problem-free rounds through each.

Usually the rebate is a mail-in deal through S&W directly. Whatever the store has it listed at is before rebate.

It's been said already, but if you must buy, get the Shield. Now. If not, keep your .380 and learn to shoot it effectively.

1. I knew there would be alot of support for the Shield.
    2. Appreciate the support for my Colt, it was a tremendous by back in 1990 standing in line for the Indy Gun show and I bought it off the original owner in the box with 4 mags total for $275.
    3. I did want some feedback about the Taurus, thanks!
    4. The Taurus 709 Slim sprice I listed was $180, and new ws $250 at Hoosier Armory (my benchmark for pricing).
    5. Any feedback on the Taurus PT 740 .40c for $180?
    6. I understand that if there is a $75 rebate on the $280 Shield at Marksman Shooting, that would be the best buy.
    7. I have a call in to them, waiting them to open.
    8. And, what about the S/W40VE .40c for $190?
    9. I'm thinking anything S/W is got to be good?

10. I there a big price difference in ammo for the .40c vs. the 9mm?
    11. I had read where the 9mm had better pricing b/c of it being "dated" which I don't mind at all.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    9mm is not dated at all, with a lot of developments in bullet technology by the manufacturers the 9mm is an effective round. Fortunately there are more than one choices than you can pick but for short barrels I pick the Federal HST as it has a proven track record and in my opinion is one of the best rounds in 9mm, when it comes to invest in a tool that potentially can help save my life I choose that best I can afford and from your list I would go with the Shield. For a novice shooter 9mm is easier to learn and be proficient than the 40 due to less felt recoil some people described it as snappy, for small carry guns 9mm is plenty effective and easier overall to control. At the end of the day is rounds on target what counts not the caliber of the firearm.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    1. I knew there would be alot of support for the Shield.
    8. And, what about the S/W40VE .40c for $190?
    9. I'm thinking anything S/W is got to be good?

10. I there a big price difference in ammo for the .40c vs. the 9mm?
    11. I had read where the 9mm had better pricing b/c of it being "dated" which I don't mind at all.

8/9: friend of mine has the SW40 and likes it. no frills but no problems. Nothing wrong with S&W more than many other companies. that whole line is a cheaper knockoff of Glocks and my understanding is initially they had a blade-type trigger-safety which led to a copyright infringement which led to the top-bottom hinge trigger-safeties S&W is known for now.

10: look for yourself: ammoseek.com. Buy in bulk and don't worry about it.
    11: no, more because there's more supply and more demand (more goods transferring) and because there's less material. 9mm may be dated but modern HPs do wonders. Most of the criticism of .40 is that the additional damage to the target doesn't match the additional recoil or or justify the additional cost.

+1 for a new Shield right now with the rebate. really can't beat the deal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Shield is worth it. The 9mm is a significant step up from the .380 in terms of bullet performance. The .380 is very inconsistent compared to something like the HST or Gold Dot 9mm offerings. Plus ammo is cheaper. There's a ton of support with holsters, sights, etc. You're also less likely to get a lemon. For the price difference, there's no way I'd buy a Taurus when the Shield is so cheap at the moment. I've owned Taurus products, when I was on a rookie salary a Taurus revolver was my backup, but they simply aren't as good as S&W.

Which gun is best for you depends on you. If you have monster hands, a single stack of any kind may not be for you. I'd take a hard look at the Shield, though.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    The Shield is worth it. The 9mm is a significant step up from the .380 in terms of bullet performance. The .380 is very inconsistent compared to something like the HST or Gold Dot 9mm offerings. Plus ammo is cheaper. There's a ton of support with holsters, sights, etc. You're also less likely to get a lemon. For the price difference, there's no way I'd buy a Taurus when the Shield is so cheap at the moment. I've owned Taurus products, when I was on a rookie salary a Taurus revolver was my backup, but they simply aren't as good as S&W.

Which gun is best for you depends on you. If you have monster hands, a single stack of any kind may not be for you. I'd take a hard look at the Shield, though.

Agree

My knowledge maybe limited but from what I've read on multiple forums Taurus is cheap for a reason and it's not a good one. You may very well get one that works but many have had problems with a Taurus. The Shield is less expensive but that tends to be more for fit and finish not actual operational capabilities. It seems to get a good rep for doing what it's intended to do.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    If you like the ergonomics of the Sig P250, I'd recommend the Sig P320 unless you're very comfortable with a DA trigger (or are willing to put in the time with it to get comfortable). There have been a few popping up for sale as people move on to newer models, but they can also be had new around or below $500.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Out of the choices you list, I would also go with the Shield. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy. The Shield 9mm has been out awhile and they have made improvements on the trigger since first coming out.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Shield, I love mine and shoot it the best of any I have.

I had a 709 slim, didn't like the trigger at all.

My brother just bought a new 111 G2, its a nice gun, but I like the shield much better. He likes my shield better too...

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'll recommend something different

-stay away from anything taurus
    -The Colt Mustang is quality. I personally do not like the sights and would spend the money getting it milled+dovetailed for something better
    -If you feel the need to carry something else, the shield is the way to go at the moment.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    With the price you can get the shield for it's a no brainer,get it and you can always get something else later this seem to be the case with most of us

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Nothing at all against the Shield, but why no love for the Springfield deal until 6/30 - 4 extra mags? That's a heck of a deal.

I also like the Taurus PT-111 G2 - mine went back immediately (like every other Taurus), but since then it's been fine. It feels comfortable, and it's hard to beat the 12+1 for around $200.

Bottom line is to get something that feels good in your hand and will fit your method of carry. Whether you like the choice or not, the price difference will be quickly forgotten - if you hate the gun, you won't care how cheap it was initially, and if you like it, it's worth the extra money.

Also suggest the 9mm over the 40. Not a huge difference in effectiveness, more capacity, and the lower price of ammo means that you're more likely to practice with it.

Top Bottom