• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    OK so I could no longer resist and pulled the trigger, on the purchase of a Wiley Clapp Commander after speaking with Dave at Sverns customs. I have to say I like it a lot. It has a small safety which I am a huge fan. The thumb safety is super stiff. No way the retention strap is going to nudge it off. Are all Colt saftey's like this?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is hard for us to know what super stiff means. Mine does have a positive click to go down. It will loosen up a little bit with use. Congrats.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Glad to hear that the thumb safety is stiff on new factory Colts. Only complaint I've had is that thumb safety on production Colts were too mushy. I stiffened up the thumb safety on mine.

A stiff safety is good. It will be more difficult to engage, but the power in your thumb is in the downward motion. So, disengaging shouldnt be a problem.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Clearly, you should have bought a S&W...just kidding...

I only have one Colt 1911 with just a handful of rounds through it. I would call the thumb safety stiff but not to the point of requiring effort and focus to release. The mag release is "super stiff" on mine but the gun has only a few mags of use - if that.

The mechanics of the travel should feel smooth (even if "stiff") with a positive release.

If it is of concern to you, I would take it back and just ask your dealer. Its going to be really hard to give you a complete answer online.

Colt makes a fine weapon but quality control with any manufacture isn't stellar today.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have a colt defender, I bought it new about 12 years ago. Now I have to inform you, that I am left-handed, so the safety is always exposed when I carry it. On my Defender oftentimes I would find that my arm had brushed the safety and knocked it off, so now I have a habit every time I get in or out of the vehicle of checking it. I also have a Colt Delta Elite with a very soft and mushy safety, but someone has monkeyed with it in the past.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a colt defender, I bought it new about 12 years ago. Now I have to inform you, that I am left-handed, so the safety is always exposed when I carry it. On my Defender oftentimes I would find in my arm had brushed the safety and knocked it off, so now I have a habit every time I get in or out of the vehicle of checking it. I also have a Colt Defender with a very soft and mushy safety, but someone has monkeyed with it in the past.
    I had to do the same thing on a little Kimber that I used to carry many years ago.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Clearly, you should have bought a S&W...just kidding...

I only have one Colt 1911 with just a handful of rounds through it. I would call the thumb safety stiff but not to the point of requiring effort and focus to release. The mag release is "super stiff" on mine but the gun has only a few mags of use - if that.

The mechanics of the travel should feel smooth (even if "stiff") with a positive release.

If it is of concern to you, I would take it back and just ask your dealer. Its going to be really hard to give you a complete answer online.

Colt makes a fine weapon but quality control with any manufacture isn't stellar today.
    Honestly I wish my others were just like the Colt.

South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    I was looking at a Colt Competition 1911 a while back and I remember the safety was so light, almost no effort to engage it. I don't know if it depends on the model or not, but I'd rather have too stiff than loose.

Top Bottom