• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There is a package through Groupon.com that I bought that lets me go to Tim's Shooting Range for an hour, and I get to choose a handgun of my choice, and I get 50 rounds of ammo for it.
    I can even choose another gun of the same caliber if I choose (don't think I can go back and switch out again, though).
    Since I just bought a Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm, and I thought I'd ask for recommendations on what other gun to rent to shoot to try it out.
    I could just pick a more expensive small 9mm that I might buy in the future as I move up, but it has to be a small size.
    Or, I could go a different direction and choose a different "genre."
    From the list here, I don't know guns well enough to know which are smallish and which are bigger.

Handguns
    9 MM's
    FNX 9
    Glock 17 Suppressed
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Glock 43
    HK VP9
    Ruger LC9S
    Ruger SP101
    Sig Sauer P229
    Sig Sauer P250
    Sig Sauer P320
    Sig Sauer P938
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9C
    Smith & Wesson Shield 9
    Springfield 1911 9MM
    Springfield XD MOD 2
    Springfield XDM 9
    Springfield XDS 9
    Walther PPS

380ACP, 40SW, 45ACP, 38SPL, .22MAG
    Desert Eagle 50 AE
    FNX 45 Suppressed
    Glock 23
    Glock 30
    Glock 42
    Kel-tec PMR-30
    Rossi 38spl
    Remington 1911 45ACP
    Ruger 22/45 Red Dot
    Ruger LCR .22 mag
    Ruger SR22
    Sig Sauer P238
    Smith & Wesson 22A-1
    Smith & Wesson M&P 40
    Smith & Wesson Mod 10 38spl
    Smith & Wesson Shield 40
    Smith & Wesson Mod 60 38spl
    Smith & Wesson Victory
    Springfield XDM 40
    Springfield XDM 45
    Taurus 22 Revolver
    Taurus Judge
    Taurus TXP 380
    Walther PK380

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    The Glock 19, 43, 23, 42, LC9S, M&P 9C, Shields, P938, and XDS are all easily concealed. The Glocks, 9C, and Shields are pretty popular CC guns.

This is just a suggestion, but you might strongly consider a different caliber just to broaden your horizons and experience.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Since ammo is included in the price, I would choose the Deagle in 50 AE for S and G's. The suppressed FNX would be a close second. Neither choice would be overly practical but I've shot a lot of the 9mms and would be in it more for the experience with guns I would likely never own.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    As stated in your other thread. I'd go with the Shield.

I carry a Shield so that is always my recommendation. I'm also an M&P fan, so I'll go one step further and suggest the 9c and/or full size as well. (I find it hard to believe they don't have a full size M&P 9 on the list).

The Glock fans will come and tell you to shoot those. You really need to shoot multiple and see which you like best.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Walther PPS, S&W Shield, Glock 43. Pretty much the Bread and Butter of the small 9mm offerings right now. Springfield is dead to me let them rot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've read every word!
    I'm not going to able to go the range this week b/c of responsibilities apparently: bummer.
    I'm supposed to go out of town again this week, and I'm trying to get the windows painted on my son's new house while he's on his honeymoon before I leave, so my "vacation" time is being eaten away.
    Can't wait to get my Slim to the range and take advantage of the gun rental and ammo at Tim's Shooting.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Sig p229. I know you want small but it's their compact and Sig makes great firearms. I have the full size 226 and it makes me look 10years younger and 20lbs lighter...:lol

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    There is a package through Groupon.com that I bought that lets me go to Tim's Shooting Range for an hour, and I get to choose a handgun of my choice, and I get 50 rounds of ammo for it.
    I can even choose another gun of the same caliber if I choose (don't think I can go back and switch out again, though).
    Since I just bought a Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm, and I thought I'd ask for recommendations on what other gun to rent to shoot to try it out.
    I could just pick a more expensive small 9mm that I might buy in the future as I move up, but it has to be a small size.
    Or, I could go a different direction and choose a different "genre."
    From the list here, I don't know guns well enough to know which are smallish and which are bigger.

Handguns
    9 MM's
    FNX 9
    Glock 17 Suppressed
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Glock 43
    HK VP9
    Ruger LC9S
    Ruger SP101
    Sig Sauer P229
    Sig Sauer P250
    Sig Sauer P320
    Sig Sauer P938
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9C
    Smith & Wesson Shield 9
    Springfield 1911 9MM
    Springfield XD MOD 2
    Springfield XDM 9
    Springfield XDS 9
    Walther PPS

380ACP, 40SW, 45ACP, 38SPL, .22MAG
    Desert Eagle 50 AE
    FNX 45 Suppressed
    Glock 23
    Glock 30
    Glock 42
    Kel-tec PMR-30
    Rossi 38spl
    Remington 1911 45ACP
    Ruger 22/45 Red Dot
    Ruger LCR .22 mag
    Ruger SR22
    Sig Sauer P238
    Smith & Wesson 22A-1
    Smith & Wesson M&P 40
    Smith & Wesson Mod 10 38spl
    Smith & Wesson Shield 40
    Smith & Wesson Mod 60 38spl
    Smith & Wesson Victory
    Springfield XDM 40
    Springfield XDM 45
    Taurus 22 Revolver
    Taurus Judge
    Taurus TXP 380
    Walther PK380

If I had to pick ONE out of that list ... the Remington 1911. I've never fired a 1911, and I've never fired a .45 acp. Bring it on!

Out of th guns I have fired .... the XDS and the Sig P938 are both great.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

p938 and then something with a little more size to it. Pick the one that feels right in your hand. 1911 in 9mm - if you never shoot a 1911. If your shooting experience is limited to your Mustang and Taurus. Try something different like the Model 60. Heck, a 22 can be a lot of fun.

Maybe the question should be what should you not shoot and I don't think I've ever turned down an opportunity to shoot something new. The 50 AE would be my last choice for you. Not sure 50 rounds is going to be a lot of fun at an indoor range - now if you had a series of watermelon and cinder blocks to destroy...jumping from 9 mm to 50 AE is a huge increase in recoil and weight.

Over the years, I been surprised at the weapons I've shot well as compared with ones I've "liked" but for whatever reason I don't shoot as well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If the Springfield 1911 in 9mm is the range officer model I would do that with whatever switch out you like. That is a sweet range gun for sure. After all we are talking about a range rental and not a purchase.

Top Bottom