Takeaways from a basic pistol training course...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I spent all day yesterday at MCF&G with Revere's Riders helping out at their ladies only pistol 100 course. Students ranged from zero experience to quite experienced and everything in between. The course was essentially equivalent to NRA basic pistol. Everyone brought semi-automatics except one revolver, which didn't come out until late in the day. A few of the guns were small, concealable single stack models. Watching these ladies work their way from the initial safety briefing all the way to pretty advanced concepts, shooting qualifying targets at the beginning and end of the day, really opened my eyes to a few things. This is all obvious and none of it is new, but it can really make an impression to actually see things you've heard happen right before your eyes.

If you know anyone who is planning to get a gun for personal protection, especially if they intend to carry it, the very first thing they should do is come to a course like this. Borrow and bring something that is basic, at least compact in size or larger, and known to be simple to operate and easy and pleasant to shoot. If the hosting organization has loaner guns (more on that later), all the better. If the environment provides the chance to try different guns during the day, that is a huge bonus. For those lower in experience, taking a course like this should absolutely be done before even going to a range and trying different rental guns. A course like this is the place to start. Just bring what you can and make sure it isn't some kind of micro pistol or snubbie. If you've been shooting for years, haven't had training for quite a while, but fancy yourself a pretty experienced shot, you'll learn something, probably a lot, during even a basic course like this. Challenge yourself to improve!

The only thing good about small guns is that they're easy to carry and conceal. Literally everything else about them is a negative. They are harder to manipulate, and much harder to shoot well. It doesn't matter what gun you you have with you when you really need it if you can't shoot it well. It makes much more sense to find one that you shoot well, form a relationship with it--get to know it like the back of your hand--and then work out a way to carry it. Deciding to buy a gun because it's cute, or small, or light, or easy to carry, or a good price, and then sticking it in a holster and going about your business isn't the right thing to do. I bet a lot of guns are bought this way, loaded once, then stuck in a holster (hopefully...), and that's it. This is a big mistake. I wish I had all the money back from small guns I've bought and sold after shooting them very little. I haven't kept any of them.

For a new shooter, you can't beat a good .22 target pistol. I watched a pretty experienced friend, who I know is a great shot (she scored 47/50 during her basic rifle course using iron sights) struggle with a small single stack pistol. She was having a hard time keeping shots even on paper at 7 yards. When the instructors pulled out one of the organization's loaner .22 target pistols, everything changed instantly. She immediately began shooting such tight groupings they asked her if she wanted to teach the class next time! Confidence is such an important thing. When they started passing around these target pistols, you could see the confidence level of the shooters just skyrocket. Everyone should have a .22 target target pistol to maintain and refine their skills.

There is probably nothing more fun you can do at a shooting range then shoot steel targets with a suppressed .22 target pistol. Hearing the action cycling and the impact on the steel both be much louder than the report is pretty awesome the first time you experience it. It's almost sensual. So many cool things to absorb versus mainly the big bang, which is fun but not really generally enjoyable. Suppressors should be cheaper, easier to obtain, and we all should be using them at the range.

Finally, and this is especially true for ladies, turtlenecks are your friend (even during the summer!) when taking training courses ;)

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I went through a basic handgun class recently and may add few thoughts, the majority of people attending the class were new to firearms. About 50% of the class had a very cheap holster and it was hard to see them struggle with it, there were a lot of serpa holsters in the class and in my opinion was kind of bad for a new handgun owner as the trigger finger would stay very close to the trigger while coming out of the holster.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Good thoughts... To clarify, all guns remained on the bench throughout the day. Of course, the line was cleared after every cease-fire. They were safely cased when moved from and to students' vehicles. Holster use wasn't part of this training.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had the chance to take the RR basic pistol course last fall.

Here were my thoughts after that event. I learned a lot more than I expected to.

Don't let the fact that this is a basic pistol course keep you away. We had a pretty diverse range of skill levels there, and everyone showed some type of improvement over the course of the day.

Here are a couple of things I learned about myself and my technique.

- I am more accurate and more consistent with my groups when shooting from an isosceles stance as opposed to a Weaver stance.

- I can manage tighter groups with my Big Dot sights than I was expecting. Because we shot lots of shorter strings of fire, I was able to make adjustments and try new things frequently. This provided immediate feedback and helped me to finally hone in on the right sight picture when using them.

- I've gotten much better and smoother with my trigger pull and only allowing it to travel forward to reset. This has tightened up my groups a lot but I am still consistently a little bit low and left. Most likely due to me holding the gun too tightly. I am comfortable with my grip, but I need to loosen it a little.

- Ball and dummy drills showed how much I am still flinching while anticipating recoil. I need to dry fire more.

- The HK VP9 feels like it was made specifically to fit my hand and I am more naturally accurate with it than I am with my G19. Thanks Hop, for letting me try it out. I may have to add it to my wish list.

All and all a fun and educational day.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    After having a huge number of new shooters in class at Parabellum I can only agree with everything the OP said. Take a class before purchasing, avoid the snubbies and really small semi-autos. General rule of thumb, easier it is to conceal the harder it will be to shoot accurately. Trying to learn with a snubbie or mini 380 generally discourages new shooters to the point that they give up, thinking they just aren't capable. Same shooter with a 22 pistol can, almost always be trained to shoot very accurately. I would also echo the sentiment that everyone will learn something in a basic pistol class.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I usually get criticized for recommending a .22 for new shooters.
    I fully understand that for most us the 9mm/.38 spec is normally considered the minimum for self defense.
    A person that has no interest in weapons a .22 makes a lot of sense cheap to shoot, lacks recoil, and muzzle blast.
    Taurus makes a nice revolver in .22 or .22 mag or even .17

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    My wife wanted some professional instruction last year, so we went together. The instructor (Steve @ Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke) was very good, and after 40 years of handing firearms, I still picked up a few tips from him.

The thing that had me laughing my butt off was when I pulled out a secondary weapon (one that I don't carry because of its size & weight) and fired a few rounds. And he said "Now THAT'S the gun you ought to carry!"

No, sorry. I carry what I carry, and it's damn good up to 15-20 feet. Easily concealed, and great for up close self defense.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I usually get criticized for recommending a .22 for new shooters.
    I fully understand that for most us the 9mm/.38 spec is normally considered the minimum for self defense.
    A person that has no interest in weapons a .22 makes a lot of sense cheap to shoot, lacks recoil, and muzzle blast.
    Taurus makes a nice revolver in .22 or .22 mag or even .17

I don't believe that the OP was pitching a target .22 as a self-defense firearm. She simply stated, "Everyone should have a .22 target target pistol to maintain and refine their skills." , and nothing more was implied.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I spent all day yesterday at MCF&G with Revere's Riders helping out at their ladies only pistol 100 course. Students ranged from zero experience to quite experienced and everything in between. The course was essentially equivalent to NRA basic pistol. Everyone brought semi-automatics except one revolver, which didn't come out until late in the day. A few of the guns were small, concealable single stack models. Watching these ladies work their way from the initial safety briefing all the way to pretty advanced concepts, shooting qualifying targets at the beginning and end of the day, really opened my eyes to a few things. This is all obvious and none of it is new, but it can really make an impression to actually see things you've heard happen right before your eyes.

If you know anyone who is planning to get a gun for personal protection, especially if they intend to carry it, the very first thing they should do is come to a course like this. Borrow and bring something that is basic, at least compact in size or larger, and known to be simple to operate and easy and pleasant to shoot. If the hosting organization has loaner guns (more on that later), all the better. If the environment provides the chance to try different guns during the day, that is a huge bonus. For those lower in experience, taking a course like this should absolutely be done before even going to a range and trying different rental guns. A course like this is the place to start. Just bring what you can and make sure it isn't some kind of micro pistol or snubbie. If you've been shooting for years, haven't had training for quite a while, but fancy yourself a pretty experienced shot, you'll learn something, probably a lot, during even a basic course like this. Challenge yourself to improve!

The only thing good about small guns is that they're easy to carry and conceal. Literally everything else about them is a negative. They are harder to manipulate, and much harder to shoot well. It doesn't matter what gun you you have with you when you really need it if you can't shoot it well. It makes much more sense to find one that you shoot well, form a relationship with it--get to know it like the back of your hand--and then work out a way to carry it. Deciding to buy a gun because it's cute, or small, or light, or easy to carry, or a good price, and then sticking it in a holster and going about your business isn't the right thing to do. I bet a lot of guns are bought this way, loaded once, then stuck in a holster (hopefully...), and that's it. This is a big mistake. I wish I had all the money back from small guns I've bought and sold after shooting them very little. I haven't kept any of them.

For a new shooter, you can't beat a good .22 target pistol. I watched a pretty experienced friend, who I know is a great shot (she scored 47/50 during her basic rifle course using iron sights) struggle with a small single stack pistol. She was having a hard time keeping shots even on paper at 7 yards. When the instructors pulled out one of the organization's loaner .22 target pistols, everything changed instantly. She immediately began shooting such tight groupings they asked her if she wanted to teach the class next time! Confidence is such an important thing. When they started passing around these target pistols, you could see the confidence level of the shooters just skyrocket. Everyone should have a .22 target target pistol to maintain and refine their skills.

There is probably nothing more fun you can do at a shooting range then shoot steel targets with a suppressed .22 target pistol. Hearing the action cycling and the impact on the steel both be much louder than the report is pretty awesome the first time you experience it. It's almost sensual. So many cool things to absorb versus mainly the big bang, which is fun but not really generally enjoyable. Suppressors should be cheaper, easier to obtain, and we all should be using them at the range.

Finally, and this is especially true for ladies, turtlenecks are your friend (even during the summer!) when taking training courses ;)

All very good advice... except the turtle neck part. :):

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I just find it strange that they shoot a .22 and can hit with it then carry something that they cannot hit with at 7 yards ?

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just find it strange that they shoot a .22 and can hit with it then carry something that they cannot hit with at 7 yards ?

You have to step back and realize that many of these were very new shooters. You build confidence with guns that are easier to shoot well, then learn to shoot your carry gun well, then carry your carry gun, continuing to practice and become more and more proficient with it.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    The only thing good about small guns is that they're easy to carry and conceal.
    For many ladies, it is the only thing that matters :): Have you ever seen so called ring-guns like these? https://minifirearms.com/miniature-guns-that-fire/ They can't shoot well, but they were extremely popular among ladies in the 19th century because a woman wearing such a ring looked very impressive )) There was even a serie with a trade mark "Femme fatale". Sometimes I think that women attend training classes just for fun, and, probably, to meet new men. But I encourage their initiatives anyway!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The biggest issue is that most people do like was stated in the OP. Purchase a pistol shoot it once or never and carry it.
    I am still amazed how many people not just ladies carry something they cannot shoot.
    The local gun store down here can't keep the "judge" revolvers in stock because guys are buying them for there wifes.
    So in a retrospective view do you think the first half day of a basic course be shot with .22 to build confidence? Them move up to the carry gun?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Something else to consider a .22 for in training: One of the best range-trips my tiny, timid wife had (accuracy wise) involved her mid-size .380, a .22, and a .45 on rotation. she doesn't shoot enough to get over her flinch for long so I had her shoot a few strings from her .380 (flinching), then switch to the .22 to make it glaringly obvious, back to the .380, then a few shots from the .45, then back to the .380. After a few rotations, no (well, very little) flinch and "wow that's not bad at all" about the boom/recoil from the .380.

Top Bottom