• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Been wanting to do this for a while. Why? I don't like the RMR's on my pistols. I've owned the best and I don't like them. Also I believe this could assist in shots at 50 plus yards. I'm thinking the Aimpoint will offer a better sight picture with the dot and be quicker with pinpoint accuracy if I do my part. The extra weight is a tradeoff I'm ok with. I'm not an inexperienced shooter nor trying to fix an accuracy issue.
    Im looking to mount it at the rear of the slide.

Has anyone ran something like this? Or have personal knowledge of someone who has? Let me know your experiences and thoughts. Not really looking for opinions of those who haven't tried this or just want to give opinions about red dots on pistols because you like the old school ways better, although it's ingo so I know I'll probably get them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Why don't you like the RMR's on your pistols?
    Not for me. I don't like feeling like I have to look through something. I never could feel like inwas superimposing the dot onto something I felt like I was searching for it. I've heard people who use them say it's a matter of training repetition but I couldn't get it to where I was comfortable. The aimpoint micro's aren't even my favorite red dot on a rifle but I figure this will be my last try for a pistol dot sight. If I don't like it I'll only be out a little because I can sell the mount and sell or use the sight.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jason at Elmore's does have one and it's a pretty slick setup. I think he also has a Raven mount to install the micro on a Glock. I have been using a Vortex Venom on a 19 for almost a year. I wasn't sure how well it might work for me until I shot in a couple of USPSA newbie shoots and it pointed very naturally for me and I "saw" it much better than I anticipated. I have played with Jason's setup and I see if very well. I suggest going by and taking a look at it and then go for it if you like what you see.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've shot a few, including Steve Fishers at a Red Dot class. For me they would be a no go for carry. Mostly because of the size, but also because of the non automatic adjusting of the dot intensity. As a game gun it would be just fine although I really like my Delta point pro.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I actually tend to believe A t1 is better for an pistol than an RMR... though I just use an rmr on my carry.... I don't like the exposed laser. Getting lint, or some other obstruction in front of the rmr laser means you will spend a bit of time chasing around trying to find the dot.... plus the rmr has an issue with the battery contacts... but I like the size of the rmr more....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not for me. I don't like feeling like I have to look through something. I never could feel like inwas superimposing the dot onto something I felt like I was searching for it. I've heard people who use them say it's a matter of training repetition but I couldn't get it to where I was comfortable.

Draw to the sights and the dot appears. Basically, forget there's a dot on the gun and then the dot works. The better your press out and indexing, the easier you'll find the dot. Even top shelf shooters (with good vision, more on that later) report being slower to the first shot on targets closer than 15-25y. You've also got to become more comfortable with sight wobble and shooting a "good enough" sight picture instead of waiting for the "perfect" one or you'll slow down. Splits and longer range precision are easier, but that's, IMO, a poor trade for speed to first shot in a carry pistol. If your vision isn't what it used to be, then the dot starts becoming more appealing. I'm paying attention to the state of the matter as we all get there eventually. I'm hoping the tech is more mature when I can benefit from it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I took a learning curve for me to get used to the RMR, but once I did, the dot just appears when I present the pistol. My only problem is having a slight astigmatism, "blooms" the dot and makes it a bit fuzzy, not crisp. A T-1 or 2 on a pistol for EDCseems like a nogo to me, but everyone is different. I'm currently using an RMR-06 3.25MOA dot, but am looking toward an 09 with 1MOA, for the longer precision shots. The RMR makes eyeball shots easy at 25, heads at 50, and COM at 100.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I got rid of my RMR for the very reasoning that dust/lint got into the emitter. Blast of canned air fixed it, but what if I'd needed the gun for defensive use? Not reliable enough.

Sticking with 3 dot setup for now. Next sight purchase and I may pickup something different, but it works.

I will say, that I was able to shoot on target faster, but the first shot took a bit longer, and my grouping was the same.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I got rid of my RMR for the very reasoning that dust/lint got into the emitter. Blast of canned air fixed it, but what if I'd needed the gun for defensive use? Not reliable enough.

Sticking with 3 dot setup for now. Next sight purchase and I may pickup something different, but it works.

I will say, that I was able to shoot on target faster, but the first shot took a bit longer, and my grouping was the same.

Mine has been my EDC for IIRC 6 or 7 years now. It is not the answer for everyone and I think there is still some development needed, but I have not had the dust/lint problem you mention.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Mine has been my EDC for IIRC 6 or 7 years now. It is not the answer for everyone and I think there is still some development needed, but I have not had the dust/lint problem you mention.

I carried it IWB in jeans mostly. Had I carried OWB it probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue, it was an issue for me though.

Top Bottom