• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Picked up a 3" S&W 66-4 stainless with box from a local guy(I believe he is a member here too, so if you read this thanks again buddy!!!). I'm super stoked about the gun but it's my first trip into the prelock era. The quality is awesome and I can't wait to shoot it.

Anyways, My friend who is an avid collector, offered me a Lew Horton 24-3 44special without box as a straight up trade. I'm a sucker for large caliber wheel guns and he knows this. Is this a fair trade? I will admit I'm a novice and I don't know much about collector type pieces and would be completely happy holding onto this really cool smith. Any help would be great!! Thank you.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depending on what you're into the 66 for, value wise, very fair trade (currently), depending on condition of the 24. Might boil down to which one you want more.

Resell wise the .357 probably would appeal to more people though

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It sounds as if the .44 Special is particularly appealing to you, but (as already noted above) the .357 will almost certainly have a wider market to other people, so you'll want to keep that in mind should you ever decide to part with either, whatever choice you make.
    Also, .44 Special is a bit more expensive than .357 Magnum and quite a lot more than .38 Special ammo, so you'll want to keep that in mind.
    Naturally, if you can roll your own, the ammo price disparity can be mitigated greatly.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I have both of these 66-4 and Lew Horton 24-3, can safely say the LH is the best DA revolver trigger I have ever shot. Price wise they are fairly even but I have seen more LH 24 than 66 3" for sale lately, guy had 2 at the Lafayette gun show this last weekend.
    If the LH had a box it would greatly increase the value over a regular 66 "3. whats the barrel length on the LH? Should be able to do research and find out how many they made.
    44 special is my favorite revolver round, The 24 is a sweetheart to shoot, the 66 with .357 is not as pleasant but gives you the option of .38.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    .44 special is not as rare or expensive as it use to be, plenty of cowboy action shooters have made .44 special plentiful on line. I bought 500 rounds of 200 gr lead .44 sp last year for $225 shipped

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you are happy with your deal and are good with it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. So enjoy your new wheelgun. They are all good!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I know I'm late to the thread, but I personally wouldn't be too eager to make this trade, even though the value between them sounds like it's very even. Subjectively, I'm already vested in 357/38, and moreso, the 3" 66 is sort of a "grail gun" for me to own one of these days. Their value keeps going up, and finding one gently used, especially with the original box, makes these even more desirable to collectors. Ported 66 3" models (which I believe are Performance Center special runs) are the holiest of these 66 snubs, very very desirable, and incredibly salty to purchase.

To me, the 66 especially, and to a large degree the Model 19, are sort of the epitomy of everything cool about S&W revolvers, even given the flat spot on the bottom of the forcing cone. I'm not knocking 44, it's a fantastic round, but 357 is so versatile... and 44 isn't tempting enough for me to want to get into yet another caliber to stock.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    If you are looking for a shooter, all things being equal between the two (condition) and don't mind taking on .44 special Cartridge, the Lew Horton is far and away the better gun over a stock 66. Not knocking the 66 by any means but there is really no comparison between any bone stock smith and a LH, they command a premium for a reason.

Another thing is that while any 66 pre lock is desirable and the 3" above all, the 66-4 3" is the least of these. The holy grail would be the 66-2 3" with its all stainless internals.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My OPIONION, is skewed, so take it for what it is worth .....

I know nothing about Lew Horton, or the guns .....

But for me, the S&W, is KING .....

But as stated above, if you are happy, then you did good .....

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    My OPIONION, is skewed, so take it for what it is worth .....

I know nothing about Lew Horton, or the guns .....

But for me, the S&W, is KING .....

But as stated above, if you are happy, then you did good .....

Lew Horton guns are S&W. he would make special orders up to 5000 and then distribute them.

Honestly, I'm contemplating just buying the Lew Horton bc my friend has two. That way I don't have to make a decision of which is best and own both.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If the 24-3 Lew Horton has the factory grips on they by themselves are worth $350 to someone needing them...I picked up a Lew Horton 24-3 and I would give up one or two fingers before I would it....

Elmer2.jpg

"What ya did there??? Yeah...I approve..." E.K.

elmer-keith-movie-hat.jpg

I need this hat...Bad...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If the 24-3 Lew Horton has the factory grips on they by themselves are worth $350 to someone needing them...I picked up a Lew Horton 24-3 and I would give up one or two fingers before I would it....

[...]
    "What ya did there??? Yeah...I approve..." E.K.

[...]

I need this hat...Bad...

I just wish I could live the life that Elmer was able to live!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Lew Horton guns are S&W. he would make special orders up to 5000 and then distribute them.

Honestly, I'm contemplating just buying the Lew Horton bc my friend has two. That way I don't have to make a decision of which is best and own both.

This is the best idea, if you can afford it, and he is willing to sell it......I would buy it and keep them both.
    They will only keep going up in value.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The 3" S&W Model 66-4 was a very limited production revolver. They are going for around $1,200-$1,400 depending upon condition and box, etc. I don't know what the 24-3 is going for, so if you get a current price check, this might help you decide.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The 3" S&W Model 66-4 was a very limited production revolver. They are going for around $1,200-$1,400 depending upon condition and box, etc. I don't know what the 24-3 is going for, so if you get a current price check, this might help you decide.

About the same if the 24-3 has the box, etc....This truly is the rare, "Six of one, half dozen of another" decisions and a really good one to have.....I have changed my mind three times since the thread started....:)

(I am back at the 24-3 however.....Sixguns by Keith literally ruined me....)

Top Bottom