• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I think my wife has finally decided that she wants her own gun, which is awesome, but I am in a bit of a dilemma on what to get her.

I searched the forum pretty well because I know this question comes up periodically, but did not really find much that helped.

I was originally thinking .380 for her (her friend has a .380), but honestly, she can handle a 9mm just fine, and that means we can share ammo and I don't have to worry about handloading another caliber.

Her friend has the "rainbow" Sig P238, which is almost impossible to photograph well since it changes colors as you move it:

60796.jpg

She likes it because "it is cute", but honestly it is too small to shoot very accurately, is surprisingly snappy for a .380, and as mentioned, I think 9mm is a better choice for her. I have the big brother of that gun, the 9mm P938, but just think it is too small to be much more than a self-defense gun (which it does very well).

I don't want to get a really large pistol because it might be nice for to get her LTCH someday, and maybe she will want to carry it in her purse, but if it is too small, and she will lose interest and not have any fun with it due to it not being very accurate at the range (too snappy, not accurate enough, etc.).

She said that she would like something "cute" but she does not want anything pink. Wow, I told her that was a helpful comment! :n00b:

I thought maybe a shield, which is compact, but not as small as the P938 or P238, but honestly, I am not really sure to begin here. We can always make it "cute" with some aftermarket grips or something...???

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Buy her what she wants...Even if you think it's not the right choice.....

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

But take her somewhere, where she can handle and shoot several,

then let her choose ..... S&W Shield, is very nice .....

Sig, makes a 2022, 9mm, nobody talks about it much .....

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Parabellum (I think) has the 9mm smorgasbord every so often. I would take her there and let her shoot a bunch of different pistols of all sizes. Then she can decide which one she shoots best and likes the most.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have no problems with a Sig P238. My mom and sister both carry them. I used to own one and could shoot it quite accurately out to about 20 yards. She isn't going to shoot or carry something she doesn't like. Give her your 2 cents and let her decide. How many of us chose the perfect gun our first time?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Got a gun for the wife?

Good trade.psyko

Haha! Pretty funny. The other quote that I love is "I have spent most of my money on guns and booze. The rest, I just wasted!"

The advice is great to let her shoot some and see what she likes, but I was hoping to narrow down the choices some before we get started.

I know there is no perfect gun that is the compromise between a concealed carry gun and a range gun, but I don't want her to become discouraged with a gun that easily fits in her purse, but that she has trouble hitting the target.

Her and I went to the range today, and she is much more enthusiastic when she is hitting the target!!! :)

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    It sounds like you are looking for a compact 9mm and not a subcompact so I would recommend a Glock 19 Gen 4, nice weight, not too big, interchangeable back straps, and if you shop around you can get them in factory colors like the picture I attached here.

Robins Egg 19.jpg PG1950203CKBWRD.jpg Forest1.jpg UG1950204CKMNBZ.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought we had to force them to use a j frame S&W...

I let my wife pick what she wanted. She go a Beretta PX4 compact. She thought it looked pretty.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It sounds like you are looking for a compact 9mm and not a subcompact so I would recommend a Glock 19 Gen 4, nice weight, not too big, interchangeable back straps, and if you shop around you can get them in factory colors like the picture I attached here.

Not a bad idea to let her shoot one as a matter of fact. Thanks for that.

It is easy for me because I have many guns, I can dedicate my carry guns and dedicate my range guns, I don't have to compromise.

Indyjones65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I know for a fact that her "friend" will let her try the P238 Rainbow, we just all need to go to the range together. Buying the "cute but not pink" is how the wife ended up with it. I know you are not a Glock fanboy but have you considered the Glock 43? Stick with your 9mm ammo that way. I've never shot one so I can't say if it is good or bad, but maybe try one out. Does Tim's have any of them for rent?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Buy her what she wants, then buy her what you think she needs, then buy her anything you think she might like...then buy a few outliers just to be sure. I know one girl who shot a .357 SAA so well that she said 'we've got to get one of these!' There's your excuse, go forth and buy.

My wife? She ended up liking the Walther PP.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My wife wants to get a carry gun. She wants something smaller than my Glock 42, which disappointed me, because I`d thought for sure we`d be a 2-Glock 42 household...I told her the only real small pistol I can think of is a Ruger LCP. We`re going to look at the LCPII here soon.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the best thing that you can do, is to take her to the shop, and let her pick it out, and for you to sit in the ladies chair (most shops have one, we do!) as soon as the words "for my wife" come out of a mans mouth, I stop talking to him, and focus on her!, and if a gentleman stops in and says im looking for a gun for my wife, I usually say "bring her in", you don't buy her shoes?, you don't buy her purses, and you don't buy her a car without her test driving it do you?....why would you buy her something that she'll use to defend herself with out her input?

true story! my dad came in every Saturday looking at a ruger lcp, saying I want to buy this for your mom, 3 Saturdays in a row! on the 4th he brought my mom in, and guess what?...she hated it! couldn't pull the slide back, didn't fit her hand.....guess what I talked he into?....s&w 642, she carried it till she died! (and she shot it well too)

imho you cant go wrong with

shield (hurry the 75.00 rebate expires on the 30th!) and I would recommend the shield pro!
    glock 43 (as much as I hate the ergonomics of glocks they are a good gun)
    Taurus 709
    springfield xds

in revolver's
    s&w 642 (hammerless!)
    ruger lcp
    Taurus 85 ch
    yes small revolvers kick, as I tell the ladies, on the range you'll notice the recoil, but when the adrenaline is flowing you wont notice the recoil!, and since most ladies carry a lot more than they shoot, the trade off is worth it!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My wife wants to get a carry gun. She wants something smaller than my Glock 42, which disappointed me, because I`d thought for sure we`d be a 2-Glock 42 household...I told her the only real small pistol I can think of is a Ruger LCP. We`re going to look at the LCPII here soon.

The 42 with the finger extension on the mags is as small as I'd go.
    I'd let her shoot some of the little ones and some of the medium sized ones, then have her count the number of bulls eyes with each. Then factor in the magazine capacity and ask her how early and often she wants to shoot her rapist.

I never have enough rounds to suit me.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The 42 with the finger extension on the mags is as small as I'd go.
    I'd let her shoot some of the little ones and some of the medium sized ones, then have her count the number of bulls eyes with each. Then factor in the magazine capacity and ask her how early and often she wants to shoot her rapist.

I never have enough rounds to suit me.

She`s a little woman, and likely can`t take too much recoil. I know the smaller .380`s can be pretty snappy by virtue of being so small, but she`s made it clear she wants something smaller than my Glock 42. I was thinking maybe a small revolver, but she insist`s on looking into the Ruger LCP, so I`ve been told the trigger is much better on the LCPII. We`re not going to jump on the LCPII, too quickly, because I want her to hold as many pistols and revolvers as possible so she can see what fits her hand well and points naturally for her. I have even half seriously thought about a small 2-shot derringer maybe, but I want her to see a lot of guns before she makes up her mind.

Top Bottom