• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Handguns, tough call. I think possibly the ammo might have a bigger advance than the gun itself. I think the newer fluid hydraulic stuff, like the Polycase/Ruger ARX, show some potential. Of course having them become a "street proven" round is years away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Yeah like metal storm. I also stumbled acroos an article about the bond arms bullpup. The current design looks like way to many moving parts but the idea of a bullpup pistol for concealed carry seems excellent, small package long barrel better ballistics.

Rugers ARX looks nuts, it will be hard for people to change over to polymer.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This is simply amazing. I could see it going bad though if it was used by a sicko to video a murder.

hornady video camera on bullet

[video=youtube;Uoz_g1R3Asw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoz_g1R3Asw[/video]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is simply amazing. I could see it going bad though if it was used by a sicko to video a murder.

hornady video camera on bullet

[video=youtube;Uoz_g1R3Asw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoz_g1R3Asw[/video]

They did such a professional job with that video I am sure some people bought into it. Politicians maybe.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Percussion caps....I won't give up my flintlocks until percussion caps prove themselves but I think percussion may be here to stay...

30266-01.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gauss guns.

This. And laser/energy weapons, albeit, I would imagine a piece of steel/tungsten/uranium hybrid rampaging at many thousands of FPS would be harder to stop than a packet of dense energy that can be ablated with today's tech easily.

The big advancement would have to be battery and energy storage technology. With that, a myriad of changes will come to our world and VERY rapidly (automotive, weaponry, personal computing, entertainment, etc...).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think its a little ironic to talk about several kinds of tech that involve computers, electronics, etc. presumably for guns to be used for self-defense...and yet we refuse to acknowledge that the technology to keep a gun from being used by an unauthorized person may be perfected to the point where it is at least as reliable as a standard, modern gun.

I think this is coming and I think it is a good thing.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    More and more, people are looking to buy smaller, more comfortable/concealable handguns. Every manufacturer has some level of compact or subcompact handgun on the market, most of which are fairly popular. The issues with small guns like accuracy, control, round count are where IMO the future lies. How can I create ammunition that will give me the ballistic equivalent of a 9mm in a 380 body yet allow a relative novice to put good groups at 25 yards. Is there a way to vent the gas release in such a way that allows for a more stable shooting platform in a small package. Most people who buy guns don't do the level of training necessary so those same buyers will eventually look for a one package fits all solution.

Just my thoughts

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This. And laser/energy weapons, albeit, I would imagine a piece of steel/tungsten/uranium hybrid rampaging at many thousands of FPS would be harder to stop than a packet of dense energy that can be ablated with today's tech easily.

The big advancement would have to be battery and energy storage technology. With that, a myriad of changes will come to our world and VERY rapidly (automotive, weaponry, personal computing, entertainment, etc...).

Do you have a newsletter as I am interested in subscribing . . . plus, um, I got a little excited just thinking of such a combo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think its a little ironic to talk about several kinds of tech that involve computers, electronics, etc. presumably for guns to be used for self-defense...and yet we refuse to acknowledge that the technology to keep a gun from being used by an unauthorized person may be perfected to the point where it is at least as reliable as a standard, modern gun.

As long as not mandated by .gov, no problem here.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

^this. Energy storage (and rapid but controlled release) is the Achilles heel of all these fields.

I think the issue most have is the level of control, who is in control, and what the failure mode is. Smart guns limiting users to pre-approved individuals would be fine if the owner could easily change that list, it could be guaranteed that .gov couldn't remote in and take control, that it always worked, and that bad guys paused long enough to let it do it's verification like in the movies.

I feel about it like I do automation in cars: when I can reasonably expect and legally get away with putting my feet up and taking a nap or watching a movie, I might give in and buy a newer car. Until then I'm sticking with ones that keep a mechanical link between myself and the rest of the controls (including the manual transmission). I've had people challenge that by suggesting I manually control the alternator and toss the power steering, my response to that is that those systems generally function transparently and CAN be removed. Driving with an electronic throttle body (not to mention all the other driver aids) drives me nuts because it can ignore or counteract my commands but I'm still liable for what happens. I've gone on for pages before with details but I'll cut this one short. /rant I don't give a hoot if someone else likes it, they're welcome to it. Just don't mandate that I need to have it.

Top Bottom