• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Forgive my ignorance (again), but I have another "newbie" question.
    Having received my LTCP, I have wondered about holsters.
    I have a couple left over from 1990, but I'm not going to wear a belt holster.
    I choose very small guns: Colt Mustang .380 and just purchases a "Slim" 9mm, and have a small .38).
    I just want something I can put in my front pocket that will not show the outline of a gun, especially in jeans.
    When I try to google it, I don't get information, just ads for those selling a thousand types, all for back pockets or attaching to a belt.
    I know I could go to a gun shop but that would be the most expensive way to go about it, maybe not, perhaps a gun show, or getting a used one somewhere.
    I love Marksman Shooting Sports, and Chris, the owner there, said he had something that would do, but I have no idea what is out there, and I have a tendency to research something to death, then go buy what I looked at the first time. :laugh:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The desantis superfly is what I use when I pocket carry. It has a square flap (it's removable) that covers the gun so it prints less.

It's sticky on the outside so it stays put when drawing, or doing yard work etc. Once in your pocket, it doesn't move.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I actually carry stuff in my pockets, so a pocket holster isn't an option for me. I used to have a wallet holster that I used with a Diamondback DB380 that I liked pretty well, but I'm not sure it would work as well with my soon-to-be-shipped (I hope) Shield 45. I'm going to need a holster for it, but it will most likely be OWB, or possibly IWB if I don't gain back the weight I've lost recently. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The desantis superfly is what I use when I pocket carry. It has a square flap (it's removable) that covers the gun so it prints less.

It's sticky on the outside so it stays put when drawing, or doing yard work etc. Once in your pocket, it doesn't move.

Have a couple of these that have served well with Sig 932/238's and Shields.

https://stickyholsters.com/

Mika pocket holster, 32.00 shipped. I have tried all the others out there, Mika hands down the best pocket holster bar none!

In looking up all the holsters mentioned, the "sticky" looks interesting.
    Usually, when I look up the holsters (like the ones mentioned) , the handle is sticking out of the pocket holster, and that doesn't make sense to me.
    It seems that the handle of the gun would be showing the imprint instead of being covered up with leather, so as not to discern what is in the pocket.
    I did see a couple of pocket holsters that seemed to come up to the top of the entire gun: that's what I'd be interested in.
    Before I order one, sight unseen, I will check with some gun shops to see if they have what I want.
    It would be great if someone had one used that they didn't need anymore that I could buy.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple different size Sticky holster. I think they are decent for durability, comfort, and keeping the pistol where it is supposed to be.

Check out USDS. I'm sure they'd let you experiment with the different sizes.

I don't know how much they are online, but USDS prices were around $25 or so. Not bad.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple different size Sticky holster. I think they are decent for durability, comfort, and keeping the pistol where it is supposed to be.

Check out USDS. I'm sure they'd let you experiment with the different sizes.

I don't know how much they are online, but USDS prices were around $25 or so. Not bad.

1. Did a search for "USDS" pocket holsters and nothing specific.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Correct.

I figured OP was looking to try some locally and USDS would be the place.

It has been a while, but last time I'd shopped there they had many sizes.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I saw you just got an lc9. I pocket carry my lc9s pro in a Blackhawk pocket holster #4 in my jeans at work. I'm not a big guy, but the gun does not print at all.

Some things I was told prior to pocket carrying for the first time:
    If you pocket carry, please only put your gun in the pocket you carry in. Nothing else goes in that pocket, ever. Don't take the risk of something getting in the trigger guard.

Also wear a good belt even if you pocket carry, it will help distribute the weight and keep your pants from shifting.

Also practice your draw with no ammo in the room. Pocket carry requires a different pull of the gun. I've never had to pull mine but I don't want to be fumbling around if it's ever needed

i like pocket carry carry for the small slim single stack 9's.

Good luck and stay safe.

jhart0990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have used the cheap uncle mikes at walmart and they work just fine. The safari land ones work well also. I pocket carry 80 percent of the time and i have never had anyone ask about what is in my pocket. Most people wont even notice even if they did they would think its a gun, unless the butt of it is sticking out of the pocket.
    I carry a P238 the majority in my safari land
    If the pants have big pockets i carry my shield performance center .40 in the uncle mikes

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have another stupid "newbie" comment/question.
    When I was at Tim's Shooting Academy Monday, I looked at a wall of holsters, and after looking online, even though my Colt Mustang .380 and my Taurus PT709 Slim were of similar size, it called for a different holster???
    I wondered if a person could simply by the "bigger" one and it would be fine for both sizes.
    Now that I got a LC9 Ruger: same thing.
    I'm not going to buy 4 different holsters for 4 different guns, or having to get another holster every time I move to a different small 9 mm, b/c I will buy different ones to try out, and eventually end up the Kahr unless I find out about a better one.
    I would love it if I could get one that would handle any of the compact/sub-compact guns, and even my small .38 5 shot snubby.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    In looking up all the holsters mentioned, the "sticky" looks interesting.
    Usually, when I look up the holsters (like the ones mentioned) , the handle is sticking out of the pocket holster, and that doesn't make sense to me.
    It seems that the handle of the gun would be showing the imprint instead of being covered up with leather, so as not to discern what is in the pocket.

You want to be able to grab the grip of your firearm, draw and have it on target. That's why they aren't covered. I did see a nice "wallet" option that enclosed the firearm but had holes for grip and trigger access to reduce printing, but I'm not even sure where one would get that. As for seeing the grip, assuming you don't mean it is sticking out of your packet, it doesn't look like a whole lot of the trigger guard and barrel are not also printing.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I'm not criticizing pocket carry but I am curious why you would want to? What, if any advantage is there to carrying in your pocket? I'm assuming front pocket? How do you access when seated? How do you draw quickly and not have an ND while reaching in your pocket to draw? I carry my cell phone in my off hand front pocket and it isn't always easily accessible so just curious what those of you who pocket carry do to mitigate these things?

I don't ever plan to pocket carry so this is more about satisfying my curiosity.

moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    Personally, when I did it, u lived 4 hours north of Minneapolis, MN & therefore wore a coat 9 months out of the year. So pocket carry in a coat made sense. Now that I live in the tropics, I don't anymore...

Top Bottom