• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I noticed on Cabela's website they have the Smith & Wesson 642 on sale for $299. I would rather buy from a local gun shop, but I've not seen them at this price. Is this a good price or can this (or something similar like the 442) be found at a lgs for the same price?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sounds like a hard to beat price to me. I don't think I've ever seen new ones that inexpensively priced.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Wow, that's a great price. Too bad my dishwasher just broke and wife's SUV needs about a $400 fix. My timing for stuff breaking down always sucks & interferes with my acquiring as many firearms as possible. I know priorities should be firearms over a dishwasher, but gotta keep the wife happy especially since her birthday is in a few weeks. The gun market is good for buyers right now especially when a Cabela's starts having gun sales that actually are truly a sale.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I noticed on Cabela's website they have the Smith & Wesson 642 on sale for $299. I would rather buy from a local gun shop, but I've not seen them at this price. Is this a good price or can this (or something similar like the 442) be found at a lgs for the same price?

1. Thanks for the heads-up.
    2. I'm on their website now, and just finished ordering it!
    3. I wanted the 638, but the cheapest price on that is at Hoosier Armory for $395.
    4. That is cheaper than Armslist price for some S/W Airweights.

Last edited:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    1. Thanks for the heads-up.
    2. I'm on their website now, and just finished ordering it!
    3. I wanted the 638, but the cheapest price on that is at Hoosier Armory for $395.
    4. That is cheaper than Armslist price for some S/W Airweights.

Glad to help someone spend some money :) I've managed to resist buying one. Just can't seem to make up my mind on what I want to buy next.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hurry up and buy! Even adding shipping and a transfer fee, it will beat any LGS price for a a new in the box 642!!!

1. No charge for shipping, tax: $21, and I'm picking it up at Cabela's in Noblesville, and there is no transfer fee. They will do a check there just like buying from any gun store.
    2. I called the Noblesville store to insure that there were no "ancillary" charges to pick it up there.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At that price I'd buy if I didn't already have one. Fantastic little pocket gun

1. Yes, I thought if I find something else I like better, I can always sell it.
    2. As it is, I will probably sell my SS Charter Arms .38 ($250) that I bought at Marksman Shooting in Westfield back in May when I started this journey (after already buying a Taurus .357 ($275) that I already sold to a retired police officer.
    3. I just wanted a S&W for that kind of money
    4. I like to keep my gun purchases under $300: makes them easier to sell.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to help someone spend some money :) I've managed to resist buying one. Just can't seem to make up my mind on what I want to buy next.

1. I know the feeling; I've been in buy mode for weeks now, but I'm getting ready to sell as many as 4 guns soon when I am through the fun of shooting them, and settle down to just what I want to keep long term.
    2. But, as long as I can buy at good prices, I'll keep buying and selling like I did in late '80s and early '90s when I "dabbled."

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I received another email from PSA offering the S&W 442 No lock version for $319.99. I received the email at 4:30 PM, but didn't see it until I got home at 6:30 PM. Followed the link and the 442 was already sold out.

I did see that they have the S&W Shield 9mm w/safety back in stock. Using the code SHIELD takes the price down to $274.99 with free shipping. Even though the $75 rebate is no longer available, it's still a good deal with the accessories you get for free.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    A lot of the PSA deals seem to go out of stock quickly and then show up again the following day like maybe they set the stock at less than what they have in order to be able to send out good email deals every day for a week. This happened with the red dot I got for my AR.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I received another email from PSA offering the S&W 442 No lock version for $319.99. I received the email at 4:30 PM, but didn't see it until I got home at 6:30 PM. Followed the link and the 442 was already sold out.

I did see that they have the S&W Shield 9mm w/safety back in stock. Using the code SHIELD takes the price down to $274.99 with free shipping. Even though the $75 rebate is no longer available, it's still a good deal with the accessories you get for free.

1. I wonder if I should get one and sell my Ruger LC9; I know that the Ruger is smaller, but the Smith name for about the same money is why I bought the 642 and sold my Charter Arms 38.
    2. I could go back and read my threads where guys commented on that: Ruger acceptable (Taurus not so much), but Shield recommended.
    3. There is one for $280 with holster and maybe ammo either here or Armslist.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom