• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    A good friend of mine passed away, and his wife wants to sell off his gun collection. I am interested in a few of his handguns and i do not know what a fair value on them would be. If you all could give some input on what you think a fair price would be, please let me know.

1st item:
    Glock 17 that includes a complete glock 34 slide assembly, and a complete 17L assembly. (by assembly i mean slide, barrel, and recoil guide/spring). and about 10 magazines to go with it

2nd item:
    a springfield trp 1911 operator with full length rail.
    it is missing the front sight, grips, and has a nick in the rail towards the front

3rd item:
    a custom caspian 1911 45 with the slide milled and a cmore red dot mounted to it.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Thanks mcgrease, he was a retired police officer, and an outstanding gunsmith. I hope to aquire a few of his firearms, and keep them to remember him by. Great guy, died too young.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glocks seem to be 500 bucks no matter condition. Each additional slide assembly would be additional.

Can't help you on the other guns.

Hope you can get something to remember him by and think of him while shooting it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The TRP info is a bit sketchy. Will it run.
    There are TRPs (non operator) listed for around $800 right now. Missing the parts you mention it will be a $550/$600 pieece depending on how complete it is.

The Caspian is also sketchy. Is there any pics of either.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    First off, my condolences.

I did a quick search, the Glock 34 and 17L complete slide assemblies sell for just about as much as an entire gun: I saw them $550 and up. It might do to offer those separately. A standard GLOCK 17 with 10 magazines- maybe a little under or around $500. They hold their value very well, and that's a good number of magazines- but ask much more than that and I doubt you'd get much interest.

The TRP new is $1,300, and I think I agree with churchmouse that it might be an $800 gun were is not missing the parts your mentioned. I'd say $600 as well.

I'd never heard of Caspian until now, so I have no idea what they're worth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    First off, my condolences.

I did a quick search, the Glock 34 and 17L complete slide assemblies sell for just about as much as an entire gun: I saw them $550 and up. It might do to offer those separately. A standard GLOCK 17 with 10 magazines- maybe a little under or around $500. They hold their value very well, and that's a good number of magazines- but ask much more than that and I doubt you'd get much interest.

The TRP new is $1,300, and I think I agree with churchmouse that it might be an $800 gun were is not missing the parts your mentioned. I'd say $600 as well.

I'd never heard of Caspian until now, so I have no idea what they're worth.

Caspian makes after market parts and they are for the most part pretty nice. I have some of their pieces on guns in the safe and I like what they make. They require custom fit and if done properly the results are very nice.

If the gun mentioned by the OP has been well fit up it could be something a real 1911 guy would want. What it is worth depends on the whole package.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I think you guys missed the part that the TRP is a FULL RAIL operator. Those are not $1300. More like $1800 when you find one.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I do believe that Caspian builds high quality frames to build the gun of your dreams. You may want to research this one further before you commit to a price. IMHO

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Okay guys, posted some pictures of the two 1911s i was asking about, the first one is the caspian and the second one is that operator i was asking about. I believe he was in the process of working on the operator, hence the condition it is in vs. the caspian. Thanks in advance!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The value of the Caspian is going to depend on who built it as well as current condition, round count, etc. If it was built by a well known pistol smith and functions perfectly, it could fetch a good price. Under that circumstance, I would consider an auction.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    My friend is the one that put it together, he used to work on 1911s all the time, and he also built some frames from scratch. The reason im asking is because im interested in the handgun myself, and want to give his wife a fair price for the caspian. Thanks again.

Would 1500-2000 be a good price to include mags and ammo with it? Or am i way off?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    The value of the Caspian is going to depend on who built it as well as current condition, round count, etc. If it was built by a well known pistol smith and functions perfectly, it could fetch a good price. Under that circumstance, I would consider an auction.

do you have any idea what that springfield armory operator would be worth in that condition?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My friend is the one that put it together, he used to work on 1911s all the time, and he also built some frames from scratch. The reason im asking is because im interested in the handgun myself, and want to give his wife a fair price for the caspian. Thanks again.

Would 1500-2000 be a good price to include mags and ammo with it? Or am i way off?

You are in the right range on the Caspian. Hard to buy all the parts for $1500.

I would have to see the Operator. It is hard to say how much has been done to it. The "Patina" is interesting.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    That is just a Caspian slide on a colt frame. Any markings on the barrel? I would suggest taking it to another smith who deals with 1911s to have it evaluated. I have a couple of colts with Caspian slides and I would be laughing at anyone offering $2500 or less for them simply because I know what parts were used to assemble them. If he was a known smith building 1911s for paying customers, the value could be much more. If he was a garage smith for his personal enjoyment, 1500-2k wouldn't be out of line. If anything, your getting a piece to remember him by every time you shoot it. Not to mention helping his widow and still being able to sleep at night knowing she didn't get robbed because she was clueless as to what her husband had.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    That is just a Caspian slide on a colt frame. Any markings on the barrel? I would suggest taking it to another smith who deals with 1911s to have it evaluated. I have a couple of colts with Caspian slides and I would be laughing at anyone offering $2500 or less for them simply because I know what parts were used to assemble them. If he was a known smith building 1911s for paying customers, the value could be much more. If he was a garage smith for his personal enjoyment, 1500-2k wouldn't be out of line. If anything, your getting a piece to remember him by every time you shoot it. Not to mention helping his widow and still being able to sleep at night knowing she didn't get robbed because she was clueless as to what her husband had.

Roger that, I do not believe he was a "known" smith for 1911s. He would do the gunsmith work for a local shop(very good smith), and i believe he liked to work on 1911s for himself in his past time. And yes that is a colt frame, i have not looked at the barrel for markings but i can do that next time im over there.

Top Bottom