• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am interested in buying small 9 mms.
    I have fired 1/2 dozen at the range and bought the Taurus PT709 Slim, Ruger LC9 and unexpectedly b/c I thought a great price ($250): the Sig P209RS.
    Will sell the Slim when I get around to it, b/c it is a 3rd tier gun in my mind (right or wrong).

On Armslist I saw a Baretta Nano for $300 that I wonder if I should pursue? (new for $400 at Hoosier Armory, my benchmark for gun prices).
    There was also a Kahr CW9 for $290 that I'm even more interested in, but new for $290??? and $340 at Hoosier Armory; I don't know why the same model can have multiple prices, so hard to compare apples to apples to apples.
    I like to buy my used guns for $100 less than new if possible.
    It's why I won't buy a Shield now: used prices too high compared to the rebated price of $225-$250 some claim.

I have other guns of interest: Shield, Glock 43, Walther PPS and I'm sure there are smaller and lighter ones out there I'm unaware of.

Should I pass on the Baretta, and Kahr b/c they are no better than the Ruger and Sig?
    The Kahr is something I have on my pecking order as being top tier, and the others 2nd tier (Taurus 3rd tier), but I could have it all wrong being a newbie of a few weeks.
    I have enjoyed the hunt and acquisition and shooting.

My goal, though, is to end up with only one 9 mm for carrying, when I figure our which I like best.
    I simply want the most reliable that is the smallest and lightest, and less expensive to a point (not buying the $800+ best of whatever) the closest thing I can get to my Mustang in size and reputation (paid $275 back in 1990, simply b/c it was a great buy (I was just buying .22 calibers then.
    I will always keep, and I trust it.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    The price difference might be night sights vs. standard:dunno:

The common answer you will hear is to shoot both guns and make the choice having hands on experience yourself. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I had a sigp290 and then bought a Nano. I never warmed to the p290 and it is the only gun i ever sold. I am very happy with the Nano

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I had a kahr cw9 at one point. It was picky about magazines. Only liked the flat plate mags that came with. Also had a follower break in a factory mag.

Imo I would look into a shield (as they are dirt cheap now, even new) or a g43 if you're looking for single stack 9.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I would also suggest renting as many of the guns as you are interested in as possible to see how you like them. All them are good choices, it comes down to personal preference. You also might want to factor in your prefered method of carry, smaller is better for pocket carry. If carrying in a belt holster size is less of a factor.

For what it's worth my favorite small 9mm that I have ever shot is a Kahr PM9. I found one used for a decent price, new they are pretty expensive. The PM9 shoots very accurately and it's been very reliable. I really like the trigger on the PM9, it's very smooth....the feel of the trigger is always a big factor for me. I carry it in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster, it fits perfectly in the pockets of my cargo shorts for summer carry. A Kahr CM9 might be an option for you, very similar to the PM9 but cheaper if you want something less expensive.

I rented a Beretta Nano and have nothing bad to say about it, I liked it too but I felt i shot the PM9 a little better. The trigger was decent on the Nano but I feel like the trigger was a little smoother on the PM9. The Nano probably be my 2nd choice for a small 9mm.

I had a P290RS for awhile. It was a nice gun and very well made but I couldn't get used to the trigger. The trigger pull is long and heavy, very similar to a DA revolver trigger pull. It had the least amount of recoil of the small 9mm's that I've shot.

I also like the Shield and Walther PPS but I felt they would be slightly too big for pocket carry.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The price difference might be night sights vs. standard:dunno:

The common answer you will hear is to shoot both guns and make the choice having hands on experience yourself. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it.

1. Buying a car w/o driving it something I've done b/c I bought on logic, knowing I'd like any car.
    2. That did come back to bite me when I bought my 3rd Corolla (new in '05) b/c it didn't "sit" like my 94 did, the seat and steering wheel were changed: lesson learned.
    3. When it comes to a gun, I don't care about the "feel" of it, only functionality, unless I truly find one that "fits" better than all the others, and I have not: I have liked all that I have shot (about 6 9mms).
    4. I would like to find a "Consumer Reports" on compact/subcompact 9mms and let that be my guide since most others are not willing to put them into a "pecking" order or a tier 1, 2, and 3 order (except for the Taurus: tier 3).
    5. I can only conclude from that, that most are in the same tier, since I'm not looking into the real expensive guns but those under $300 used.
    6. Only if I find a consensus about a gun that is more expensive gun (under $400 or even $500), will I go for it, but if not necessary, I won't.
    7. I am happy with my Ruger, so maybe I'll just keep it, who knows.
    8. The Sig Sauer name is huge to me in my limited experience, but it is heavy, comparitively.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would also suggest renting as many of the guns as you are interested in as possible to see how you like them. All them are good choices, it comes down to personal preference. You also might want to factor in your prefered method of carry, smaller is better for pocket carry. If carrying in a belt holster size is less of a factor.
    1. That's what I did last Monday at Tim's Shooting Academy: I shot all of their small single stack 9mms and even one of their double stack (Glock 26).
    2. I will carry in my pocket. I want something as close to my Colt Mustang .380 size: light and small.

For what it's worth my favorite small 9mm that I have ever shot is a Kahr PM9. I found one used for a decent price, new they are pretty expensive. The PM9 shoots very accurately and it's been very reliable. I really like the trigger on the PM9, it's very smooth....the feel of the trigger is always a big factor for me. I carry it in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster, it fits perfectly in the pockets of my cargo shorts for summer carry. A Kahr CM9 might be an option for you, very similar to the PM9 but cheaper if you want something less expensive.
    1. Appreciate some feedback on the Kahrs. Is there any difference in the FTF rate/reliability in the PM9 and the CM9?

I rented a Beretta Nano and have nothing bad to say about it, I liked it too but I felt i shot the PM9 a little better. The trigger was decent on the Nano but I feel like the trigger was a little smoother on the PM9. The Nano probably be my 2nd choice for a small 9mm.

I had a P290RS for awhile. It was a nice gun and very well made but I couldn't get used to the trigger. The trigger pull is long and heavy, very similar to a DA revolver trigger pull. It had the least amount of recoil of the small 9mm's that I've shot.

I also like the Shield and Walther PPS but I felt they would be slightly too big for pocket carry.
    1. Now that is the kind of feedback that I need.
    2. I thought the Shield was a little bigger than what I was looking for when I first had one in my hand also.
    3. I will put this into my notes: thanks!
    4. I have had both in my hand at the range when I rented them to shoot, but it's all beginning to be a blur as far as size
    5. I remember from my notes that the Walther and Glock were longer than the Taurus 709 Slim and the Walther was longer than the Glock 43.
    6. I'm afraid the P290 RS Sig will end up being too big for pocket carry also compared to my Ruger LC9.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a kahr cw9 at one point. It was picky about magazines. Only liked the flat plate mags that came with. Also had a follower break in a factory mag.

Imo I would look into a shield (as they are dirt cheap now, even new) or a g43 if you're looking for single stack 9.

1. Important feedback: thanks
    2. The Shield I used at the range was accurate comparitively, but I haven't seen any good used prices on them: anywhere up to $400. The cheapest is $280, which with the rebate is what it would have cost new, and some claim paying $225-$250 new w/rebate, so I'm looking for closer to $200 used, but I'll probably have to wait until alot begin to sell.
    3. The Glock 43 is on my radar.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a Nano. Was waiting for it and bought it when it first came out. I have had good luck with the reliability of Beretta in general so was excited about it. Mine has been very reliable and comfortable to shoot with (and practice with) at the range. It's not that pretty to look at in my opinion, kind of like the utilitarian looks of the glock, but again very comfortable and reliable to shoot for me. To me, the Kahr is not in the same league of reputation and quality as Beretta, but I haven't owned one. I think the Beretta's just didn't catch on the way they thought they would with a lot of other options for single stack 9mm's in the marketplace at the same time and just after, so now you see the prices low.

:twocents:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I have both. I prefer the CW9. Over 500 rounds, never a issue of any kind. The Nano has consistent FTE issues, I'm going to replace the
    extractor and hope that fixes it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, I'm a bit confused on why you're buying these - is it to collect small 9mms, or for more practical purposes (i.e. to identify which small 9mm fits your defensive needs best)?
    Hard to give advice without knowing your purpose.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OP, I'm a bit confused on why you're buying these - is it to collect small 9mms, or for more practical purposes (i.e. to identify which small 9mm fits your defensive needs best)?
    Hard to give advice without knowing your purpose.

1. To sample different small 9 mms to see which I would want to keep for a CC in my front pocket.
    2. I am buying them at such prices so as to sell them when I find the one I like best.
    3. Of late, however, I am thinking of just getting a light small J frame revolver (.38).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ah, understood. Ok, well, trying a number is a good way to find what you like. As someone mentioned, I think, finding a range where you can rent some examples is a good way to save time and money in this regard (as is trying friends' guns).

Saw the other thread too. Air-weight revolvers are a bit of different animal, and a niche gun (imho) with only a couple of strengths and a number of disadvantages (others may disagree, but of course, they'd be wrong, ha ha. :):).

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You've been through a lot of guns in a short amount of time. Nothing wrong with that but maybe focus on spending on ammo and sending rounds down range. We've all been there and most of us still do it but no gun review it's going to match your own proven use. Do not trust majority of the published reviews it now as the authors seem to be bought and paid for and finding a truly critical review is near impossible.

300 bucks will fill a lot of magazines and make you an exponentially better shot which is more important than gun choice today as most are manufactured to be reliable.

Good shooting is 90 percent trigger puller and 10 percent equipment.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You've been through a lot of guns in a short amount of time. Nothing wrong with that but maybe focus on spending on ammo and sending rounds down range. We've all been there and most of us still do it but no gun review it's going to match your own proven use. Do not trust majority of the published reviews it now as the authors seem to be bought and paid for and finding a truly critical review is near impossible.

300 bucks will fill a lot of magazines and make you an exponentially better shot which is more important than gun choice today as most are manufactured to be reliable.

Good shooting is 90 percent trigger puller and 10 percent equipment.

1. Your input is appreciated and is entirely consistent with what others have said on different threads.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just to echo Ggreen a bit - if a handgun fits you well, is inherently accurate (enough) for the job, and reliable, then the rest is on you.

For some reason, many have a natural tendency to over-focus on hardware to the neglect of software (i.e. mindset, skills, tatics, etc.), when in fact, the latter (i.e. training) is far more important than the former.

A firearm is not a magic talisman, lucky charm, etc. It is merely a tool through which your will is exercised.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just to echo Ggreen a bit - if a handgun fits you well, is inherently accurate (enough) for the job, and reliable, then the rest is on you.

For some reason, many have a natural tendency to over-focus on hardware to the neglect of software (i.e. mindset, skills, tatics, etc.), when in fact, the latter (i.e. training) is far more important than the former.

A firearm is not a magic talisman, lucky charm, etc. It is merely a tool through which your will is exercised.

1. Your sentiments are on target (pun intended).
    2. I teacher friend of mine at school I can't even talk about my guns with b/c he thinks it is stupid crazy to have one in the house.
    3. I tell him it is a tool for extreme emergencies and if you have kids around (like nearly every family man cop would have), you must lock it up at home, unload it at home or however you need to incapacitate it with kids in the house.
    4. I had a friend whose teenage son had a small party at the house, and a teen went upstairs and got ahold of a pistol that wasn't in his safe. The teen and Dad drove over to the kid's house and got it back: could have been much worse; I'm sure lesson learned: just one time of a lack of diligence.

Top Bottom