• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After listening to feedback about my journey buying and renting multiple 9 mms to find the small, light one that I would like to carry, I have given considerable thought and have spent the entire evening researching small J frame light .38 revolvers for CC.

I have a Charter Arms SS hammerless .38 that I bought at Marksman Shooting in Westfield at the beginning of my journey back in May for home protection.
    It weighs 16 oz, I believe.

I can tell the difference between my Ruger LC9 (17 oz.) and my Sig 290RS (20 oz.), so I'm not sure what's out there although I've researched alot tonight about the Ruger LCR, Taurus 85 and S/W 642/637/638/442 and even the Bodyguard (15 oz, I think).

I never really looked into the airweight type of revolvers out there.

I did run across a Kimber K6s, but it was 23 oz.: but what a gun!!! And, being a 6 shot .357 I'm sure it is bigger than the lightweight J frames, but I had to look!

Also, I like the idea of having a hammer for that accurate 50 foot shot, if necessary.
    Pulling it from the pocket with your thumb over the hammer would seem to be a way to deal with it getting hung up pulling it from your pocket. (I read that tonight as well in one of the vids)

I love the hunt and the processing.
    When I go back to work, I won't have all this leisure time.
    I've been going to the range alot, but I haven't been able to shoot my Ruger GP100 .22 that I bought b/c I have been so busy with 9 mms.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really like my LCR 6 shot .327 Fed Mag. No LCRx hammer version though. I'm digging the copper cylinder LCRx versions too right now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why not just carry the Charter Arms?

Revolvers and small single stack 9mm both have there advantages. The autos are slim. I carry a Walther PPS during the week because it allows my the carry a gun on my belt while tucking in my shirt. A revolver would simply bulge to much. On the other hand the rounded shape of the revolver lends itself well to non conventional/non belt carry locations such as on the ankle, in the pocket or a smart carry. I also prefer the revolver if traveling by air because it is easier to safely and quickly unload and reload. Airlines require you to unload your magazines. I consider revolvers to be the best choice as a BUG because they are snag free, will fire if press against an object, will function with a less then perfect grip, and offer a lot of power for the weight.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Why not just carry the Charter Arms?

Revolvers and small single stack 9mm both have there advantages. The autos are slim. I carry a Walther PPS during the week because it allows my the carry a gun on my belt while tucking in my shirt. A revolver would simply bulge to much. On the other hand the rounded shape of the revolver lends itself well to non conventional/non belt carry locations such as on the ankle, in the pocket or a smart carry. I also prefer the revolver if traveling by air because it is easier to safely and quickly unload and reload. Airlines require you to unload your magazines. I consider revolvers to be the best choice as a BUG because they are snag free, will fire if press against an object, will function with a less then perfect grip, and offer a lot of power for the weight.

1. Good Point about carrying the Charter Arms SS hammerless .38 with a weight of 16 oz.
    2. i don't know if there is anything sleeker, probably not if it is a 5 shot.
    3. There are some 12, 13 and 14 oz out there.
    4. Ironically, the only 12 oz is a lite Charter Arms that I found in my searches this pm.
    5. Since I'm assuming the size is nearly the same the weight will be the heavy factor, although I have read of reasons not to buy the Ruger or the Taurus, especially.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Not common but I have a "J" frame S&W 337 PD 10.6 oz. shoots 38 spl +P jacketed. Easy to carry but it will hurt your hand when shooting +P loads. Jim.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Smith and Wesson model 360 is a 357 magnum that weigh 12 ounces. I believe some are hammerless, mine has a hammer. They are very pricey.
    The Smith & Wesson 642 is near the same weight, 38 Special plus p and available every day for about $350

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have shot a lot of revolvers, and I prefer my .357 LCR for size and ease of shooting. I have only put a few rounds of .357 through it, but it's good to know that it can handle it. Smith J-frames are great also, but I avoid airweights because they are more difficult to shoot accurately. When I carry, I carry either my LCR or my .38 Chief's Special. I much prefer them to semi-autos.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1. Good Point about carrying the Charter Arms SS hammerless .38 with a weight of 16 oz.
    2. i don't know if there is anything sleeker, probably not if it is a 5 shot.
    3. There are some 12, 13 and 14 oz out there.
    4. Ironically, the only 12 oz is a lite Charter Arms that I found in my searches this pm.
    5. Since I'm assuming the size is nearly the same the weight will be the heavy factor, although I have read of reasons not to buy the Ruger or the Taurus, especially.

I wouldnt obsess about weight. Buy a good belt instead.

The Ruger LCR in .38 spl is light weight and has possibly the most usable trigger out of the box. You have mentioned a lot of different guns and I sense you might be spending a lot of money looking for gun nirvana. I'll let you in on a little secret, they are all fine. A person would be well armed with a Ruger LCR or Smith airweight on their person and a good quality mid or full size pistol at home. Better yet carry both! The trick is to buy a good belt.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A Charter Arms undercover .38 has served as a carry piece for 40 years. I still shoot 5 shots out of it on a regular basis, and it still puts holes where I point it.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have shot a lot of revolvers, and I prefer my .357 LCR for size and ease of shooting. I have only put a few rounds of .357 through it, but it's good to know that it can handle it. Smith J-frames are great also, but I avoid airweights because they are more difficult to shoot accurately. When I carry, I carry either my LCR or my .38 Chief's Special. I much prefer them to semi-autos.
    I personally, don't agree with the lightweights not shooting as well. The new short barrel ammo shoots really well and is light recoil. That's just my opinion.

The Ruger LCR in .38 spl is light weight and has possibly the most usable trigger out of the box. You have mentioned a lot of different guns and I sense you might be spending a lot of money looking for gun nirvana. I'll let you in on a little secret, they are all fine. A person would be well armed with a Ruger LCR or Smith airweight on their person and a good quality mid or full size pistol at home. Better yet carry both! The trick is to buy a good belt.
    I agree with the belt thing normally, but with pocket carry it doesn't play as big of a role...unless you have baggy pants and a heavy gun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Pretty much this.

With a good belt and a good holster - you'll hardly notice the difference between an 11oz gun and a 24oz gun.

Where you will definitely feel the weight, or lack thereof, is upon firing.

The 642 is a dream to carry, but verging upon nightmarish to shoot - especially with +P defensive ammo.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree with the belt thing normally, but with pocket carry it doesn't play as big of a role...unless you have baggy pants and a heavy gun.

Even with pocket carry wear a belt. Keeps your pants up. I have been guilty of slipping an LCP into the pocket of my pajamas or a Jframe in my bath robe. But when out and about belt is required.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have shot a lot of revolvers, and I prefer my .357 LCR for size and ease of shooting.

84985.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you wanting a revolver to shoot .38+P ?

Smith and Wesson model 360 is a 357 magnum that weigh 12 ounces. I believe some are hammerless, mine has a hammer. They are very pricey.
    The Smith & Wesson 642 is near the same weight, 38 Special plus p and available every day for about $350

i ankle carry a 442 every Sunday. It carries better than it shoots.

A Charter Arms undercover .38 has served as a carry piece for 40 years. I still shoot 5 shots out of it on a regular basis, and it still puts holes where I point it.

I personally, don't agree with the lightweights not shooting as well. The new short barrel ammo shoots really well and is light recoil. That's just my opinion.

Pretty much this.
    With a good belt and a good holster - you'll hardly notice the difference between an 11oz gun and a 24oz gun.

Where you will definitely feel the weight, or lack thereof, is upon firing.

The 642 is a dream to carry, but verging upon nightmarish to shoot - especially with +P defensive ammo.

Even with pocket carry wear a belt. Keeps your pants up. I have been guilty of slipping an LCP into the pocket of my pajamas or a Jframe in my bath robe. But when out and about belt is required.

1. firing a +P not a requirement.
    2. I will not be using a belt holster, but just one that fits in the pocket.
    3. I always wear a belt but I won't be using it to attach a holster to it, ergo want a lighter weight pistol.
    4. I could tell the difference of my 9 mm Sig 290 RS (20 oz.) and my 9 mm Ruger LD9 (17 oz.) in my pocket.
    5. Thanks for all the input, I took notes on all of it!
    6. Not wanting to spend more than necessary (if you read my buying of 9 mms), but I'm not going to buy a Taurus for $300, if I can get a S/W for $350 (Armslist).
    7. Should I do a WTB here on the forum? I don't see many moderately-priced small light .38s for sale.
    8. I could even trade my Sig 290RS 9 mm or even my LC9 Ruger, but I might want to keep one of those.
    9. What puzzles me is that I see people trying to sell their guns for a price I can buy them new at Hoosier Armory, or w/i $20.
    10. The guns I have bought used I pay $50-$100+ less for and have no tax w/individuals.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wouldn't trade 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm +P in a light, flat, easy to carry pistol with real sights and a decent trigger for any 5 shot snubby with a crappy 10 lb trigger and barely-there sights.

There are considerations that should be more important than a couple of ounces of weight. A carry gun should be more comforting than comfortable.
    How long will it be before you decide that your new lightweight .38 is a little too bulky and heavy, considering the pocket .380s that are much smaller and lighter?

Save your money. Buy more 9mm ammo and practice with your LC9. You've already got a Charter .38. Are you really going to spend $350-400 to buy the same thing you already have, minus a couple of ounces of weight? Might be cheaper to cinch up your belt another notch.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    There are several s&w 642's right now on GB in the $300 range with buy now. I see them frequently on here for around $350. I would sell the Charter and buy a Smith if money is an issue.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Keep in mind that even .357 out of a 2" barrel will have severely diminished performance.

.38 Special standard pressure out of a 2" barrel is quite anemic. It's not great out of a 4" barrel, for that matter.

.38 +p is a definite boost over standard pressure - but even that, out of a 2" barrel, it's just not super duper great.

9mm out of a 3" barrel is, IIRC, about 30% more ft lbs energy (at the muzzle) than .38 Special.

I used to have a KelTec P11 (Double-stack magazine, 12 rds) that was, overall, quite a small firearm. On par, size-wise, with a J-frame revolver. I'd take 13 rds of standard 9mm vs. 5 of standard .38 special.

That said - I can often be found with a (PROPERLY holstered) J-Frame in a pocket. I understand the limitations of the gun, the cartridge (125gr SJHP +p) and myself.

A quality pistol the same dimensions of the KT P11 would be great, I think. I'm not ready to trust SKYY's offering - despite a guy that I respect a great deal carrying one often (Look up Tactical Professor online / Facebook)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't trade 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm +P in a light, flat, easy to carry pistol with real sights and a decent trigger for any 5 shot snubby with a crappy 10 lb trigger and barely-there sights.

There are considerations that should be more important than a couple of ounces of weight. A carry gun should be more comforting than comfortable.
    How long will it be before you decide that your new lightweight .38 is a little too bulky and heavy, considering the pocket .380s that are much smaller and lighter?

Save your money. Buy more 9mm ammo and practice with your LC9. You've already got a Charter .38. Are you really going to spend $350-400 to buy the same thing you already have, minus a couple of ounces of weight? Might be cheaper to cinch up your belt another notch.

1. Very good points and I have no fault with your logic.
    2. It isn't over a couple of ounces, of course.
    3. I do so prefer revolvers over semi-autos.
    4. I have a .380 Mustang already, and I don't mind keeping one 9 mm, which could be the LC9, I know that I will sell or trade the 290 RS Sig.
    5. Having a choice over what to carry I like that idea.
    6. I have 4 different calibers now: .22 mag; .380; .38; and a 9 mm. I sold the 357, or I would have 5 different calibers.
    7. I'm on vacation (a teacher w/2 wks. left) and I have the time to enjoy the hunt and the education; I have learned so much since May.

Top Bottom