• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I had been researching small lightweight J frames for CC instead of buying more 9 mms.
    2. My LC9 Ruger will do fine for a 9 mm flavor and I will sell the Sig 290RS whenever I get around to it, and my Taurus 709 Slim. Since I bought the 642 I'll sell my Charter Arms .38, also.
    3. The S/W J frames kept coming up in my research, and I wanted a hammerless airweight over the Ruger, Taurus and the Charter Arms (only 12 oz).
    4. There were about 5 on Armslist I was trying to pursue, but they were asking about as much as new, and would not put down the model number.
    5. I contacted 3 with questions but never received any answers, and then a member here said Cabela had a sale on the 642 for $299!!!
    6. New price was $387 at Hoosier Armory (my benchmark for new pricing), $410 at Marksman Shooting, and $450 at Tim's Shooting.
    7. Armslist price for S/W that were Airweights (not sure of model #s) were: $350, $400 and $500.
    8. So, when I made up my mind I was going to get a S/W and not another model, and a member here gave me the tip about the $299 at Cabela: I bought.
    9. No shipping, no transfer fee (go to Cabela in Noblesville to pick it up): $321 out-the-door.
    10. I called the Noblesville store to make sure of no hidden fees, b/c I could buy local from an individual and save the tax and any shipping or any transfer fee.
    11. I was at Tim's Shooting this pm and I could tell the difference between 1 oz in my hand between my Charter Arms .38 (16 oz) which is not an airweight (theirs is 12 oz) and the S/W 637 (15 oz). I was surprised that I could tell a 1 oz difference in the feel.
    12. If I find another I like better (was looking for a 638 b/c of a more rounded hammer area), I can always sell the 642 since I bought it for a "used" price. At least it fit into my wanting to pay less than $300 for a gun (or almost :dunno:). Much easier to sell a gun in the $200 something.
    13. I am having so much fun! I love the hunt!

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Not bad dodgie, I once had both model 36 standard S&W .38 spcl and model 37 the airweight at one time, the model 37 was great IMHO to carry but no fun to shoot. Hope you enjoy yours for years to come.

P.S. for those who qualify SR Jenkins Police Supply in Indianapolis has Glock 9mm G-43 NIB for $350 + tax and Glock .380 G-42 NIB instock for $315 + tax.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the encouragement and validation!
    I'm a sucker for a sale, and a new S/W for $299 in nearly exactly what I was looking for since I really liked the 638 rounded hammer area better.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The 642 will generally have a better DA pull than a 638 due to internal parts geometry and I personally think it's a mistake to have a SA capability on a carry gun, so I have a 642 in my pocket now(and always). Very easy to carry. It has displaced a bunch of 9mm pistols(CW9, CM9, Shield9, 3953 and CS9). Unfortunately the world's becoming a place where I no longer feel comfortable with 5rds and a slow reload so I will be upgunning back to one(or two)of the 9's,......and maybe keeping the 642 in the pocket as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Report back once you get it and let us know how you like it.

I'm eager to do that, and compare it to the Charter Arms 38 that I also have and will sell.
    School will be starting in 2 weeks and I won't have luxury of playing online here like I do (inaccessible gun site), or having the time for going to the range and the like, so I want to get it to the range so then I can decide whether I'm going to sell 3 or 4 of the other guns I have, depending on how I like the S/W 642.
    You know how I love to talk/type. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The 642 will generally have a better DA pull than a 638 due to internal parts geometry and I personally think it's a mistake to have a SA capability on a carry gun, so I have a 642 in my pocket now(and always). Very easy to carry. It has displaced a bunch of 9mm pistols(CW9, CM9, Shield9, 3953 and CS9). Unfortunately the world's becoming a place where I no longer feel comfortable with 5rds and a slow reload so I will be upgunning back to one(or two)of the 9's,......and maybe keeping the 642 in the pocket as well.

1. You are expressing exactly what I was thinking, and maybe someday I'll be more interested in a CC 9 mm as I "mature."
    2. One of the reasons I might want to keep one of my 9 mm, probably the Ruger LC9, until I unless I learn more and stumble onto what else I haven't tried that I might like better in a light weight small 9 mm, but they won't have much more than a 5 shot either.
    3. I'd have to man-up to at least a double-stack 10 shot like the one I rented at Tim's Shooting (Glock, I think). I have it written down and I will keep my notes on those that I tried which did not include the Beretta Nano and some others.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Speer gold dot short barrel should shoot good out of that. I personally don't find it too uncomfortable, some do however. The gold dots are +p, any range ammo shouldn't cause you any discomfort.
    Good choice on the revolver, I think you will be pleased.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I like the 642. practicing with std power ammo I don't find it uncomfortable at all, other than my thumb can sometimes get in the way of the cyl release lever in recoil and ends up a little sore. +ps are a little snappy, but manageable. A really firm grip is important. For snubbies, I prefer to wrap the WH thumb around behind the gun... since there's not a lot of grip to work with, I find that helps me concentrate as much strength as possible onto what little grip is there by helping squeeze my SH into the gun. I actually picked that up from a video JM made, and it worked too well not to roll with it. (I can't find the video, but here's some pictures... MICULEK2).

-rvb

my 642:
    image_zpsfrupyru0.jpeg

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    Also, the Hogue grips on the lcr feel like they'd soak up recoil more than the grips on the 442/642. Has anyone here ever put aftermarket grips on their j frames?

Top Bottom