• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just picked up a TT Gunworks leather holster for my 1911, and man is it ever tight!

I have been working to break it in for about 4-5 days by wearing it around the house all day (it is a combo IWB that converts to an OWB model).

When I first got it, I could not even easily get the fun to fit all the way in to protect the trigger, so I guess it is getting better, but when I go to draw it, it is almost impossible to get out of the holster without giving myself the mother of all wedgies and my pants end up all the way to my chest! :xmad:

The instructions that came with the holster said not to use any treatments on the holster, but just take your time, and it will eventually break in. I am sure this is true, but it is a catch-22 in that I need to wear it to break it in, but I don't really trust it out-and-about since if I need it, I will never be able to draw it out in time to be safe/useful.

Any other suggestions? For now, I am just wearing it around the house during the day when I am home, and then switching to my standard Kydex IWB holster when I go out.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Put the pistol in a zip lock freezer bag and then into the holster and leave it for an hour or two, remove and test the fit. Extend the time if needed. This method was suggested in the care instructions that came with my Wright Leather Works holsters and worked for me.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have the TT gunleather Mike's special, I've worn it every day for the past 3-4 months, iwb @ 3:30, Glock 43,
    It certainly took a week maybe 2 for the front fold, where the front snap is, to start conforming to my body...that was my desired break in, (haven't had a problem with draw)
    Honestly It's the nicest holster I've ever owned

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always spray my gun with oil, then shove it down in one of my thin formerly fancy, dress socks that is only used for this task. Then shove into the holster overnight. Usually fits about right the next day. The plastic bag thing works also.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I'm breaking in some leather for my Baer tactical carry right now. I have always wrapped the gun in wax paper a couple times and shoved it in the holster. Seems to be working after a few days.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone. I actually did use the waxed paper today, which was recommended by TT Gunworks. It is getting easier to use, but it is still going to take some time.

I'll be patient...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The old way of form fitting a holster was to soak it in water (rubbing alcohol works too, if you're in a hurry). Work the softened leather with your fingers. Place your protected handgun (plastic wrap, etc.) in the holster and leave it until dry. Of course, just using it will break it in. Spraying silicone into the holster won't hurt it, also.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you have another EDC option, I've also just stored my pistol in the holster, along with manually inserting and drawing (after verifying that it's empty of course) while watching tv or something. Not sure why they don't want you to use any kind of treatment (like mink oil) on the leather in order to help soften it up though. I usually do that in addition to the other two methods I mentioned.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks everyone. I actually did use the waxed paper today, which was recommended by TT Gunworks. It is getting easier to use, but it is still going to take some time.

I'll be patient...

Took me about 2 weeks to break in my DeSantis Speed Scabbard that I picked up for my Legion SAO. Longer than a previous leather holster by quite a bit, but it was worth the time and effort ;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you have another EDC option, I've also just stored my pistol in the holster, along with manually inserting and drawing (after verifying that it's empty of course) while watching tv or something. Not sure why they don't want you to use any kind of treatment (like mink oil) on the leather in order to help soften it up though. I usually do that in addition to the other two methods I mentioned.
    If you've ever seen a very old limp, shapeless holster, you'll know why putting mink oil or other oils on it are not recommended. The holster will please you at first, but won't hold its shape over the long haul. Spray silicone won't penetrate the leather, but will provide some lubrication when breaking in the holster and helps keeping from squeaking. Keeping leather from squeaking was important in a job I had long, long ago in a star system far, far away!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you've ever seen a very old limp, shapeless holster, you'll know why putting mink oil or other oils on it are not recommended. The holster will please you at first, but won't hold its shape over the long haul. Spray silicone won't penetrate the leather, but will provide some lubrication when breaking in the holster and helps keeping from squeaking. Keeping leather from squeaking was important in a job I had long, long ago in a star system far, far away!

Ah, hadn't thought of that, but I've not had that issue. I typically only use it on a new holster though. Once it's broken in I don't really do much with it.

Top Bottom