Anyone here knowledgable in vintage German guns? Sauer? Gustloff?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chip Henderson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2016
    Greenwood
    This is something I've had my eye on for a while (belonged to a friend) and I've been waiting for an opportunity to get it. My buddy and I do some "interesting" horse trading! Now safely in my possession after a couple years of drooling!

It may be nothing, which is fine, I like it just as a conversation piece. It's not a functioning gun and looks like a prototype or even a salesman's sample. The trigger bar mech is clearly the feature since it's the only moving part and there are no accommodations to fit any other parts or springs to it. No markings at all and in such perfect condition I'm doubting it's that old.

Anything you can tell from my pictures to point me in the right direction?

Thanks, and really appreciate any help!

Chip

q1.jpg q2.jpg q3.jpg q4.jpg q5.jpg

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Very cool! I can't recall any pistols with the barrel fixed to the grip. Is it 9mm? I would go the prototype route, as I can't see any markings that a salesman's sample would have. Barrel is threaded for a suppressor. No machining marks that I can see so quality looks to be good. I'm waiting to see someone chime it with "It's a Molotoyovski Model 23z".

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The fixed barrel and slide shape are kind of Walther like. That's all I've got. Cool gun!

Chip Henderson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2016
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, very Waltherish, but it's bigger than a Walther PP and the details don't seem Walther. I posted on another forum had a comment that it it looked machine shop built and could be a "proof of concept" prototype from a small shop or gunsmith. After really going over it I think it's fairly recent in manufacture and not something a major gun company would have bothered to have made. Someone very dedicated with a small shop probably spent a LOT of time making it and I'm glad to have it!

Chip

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    It looks very pre-WWII Germanish. Lot of manufacturers trying different things and cranking out all sorts of prototypes and the info isn't easy to find since other things were going on at the time. Is it a 9mm and is it chambered for the P08 round? Is the chamber fluted by any chance? It looks like it might be in one pic. Can't really see any method of locking so some sort of hesitation lock with a fluted chamber would make some sense,....if it's 9mmP. Recoil spring around the barrel which is a typical straight blowback feature, but again, there were many experimental designs trying to simplify a 9mm issue weapon. It's double action, single-stack and finely milled, so that points to late 1930's. By the 1940's the Germans were more interested in ease of production so all the effort went into coming up with cheap, stamped and welded designs.

What's the stamping on the left side of the chamber?

Top Bottom