• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After looking, buying, selling, renting and shooting 9 mms at the range, for something in a small pocket CC, a little larger than my Mustang 380, I decided to go a different direction and get a S/W 642 J frame, small, Airweight: on sale for $299 at Cabela.
    I might keep 1 of my 9 mms, my Ruger LC9, just for fun, but I might sell it as well if I buy yet another revolver.

Even though I have the 642 S/W 38 for CC, I thought I might get a bigger gun for home protection, meaning a 3-4 inch barrel (or longer) and perhaps a 357, since I could put 38 shells in it if I wanted that option of going either way.
    I also would have the option of a larger gun for CC if I "mature" into that in the future.
    Buying a semi-auto that I trust to never fail, would mean putting more $$ into it than I need to, since I prefer wheel guns anyway.

I ran across these 2 on Armslist:
    1. SMITH & WESSON - 38 S&W SPECIAL - MODEL 64-5 - 6 SHOT STAINLESS STEEL REVOLVER - 4 inch barrel - FIXED SIGHTS - RUBBER GRIPS - $400

I thought this seemed like a decent buy.

I could get a Rossi, Charter Arms or a Taurus for less, but getting a S/W for $400 when they are $572 new at Hoosier Armory (my benchmark for new prices) seemed great.

Another choice:
    2. Taurus Model 65 SS 4" .357/.38 $415

A choice of .38 Special regular or +P or .357 Magnum, this medium frame, 6-shot revolver features comfortable rubber grips and a deep, lustrous matte stainless steel finish. With fixed sights and a custom Single Action/Double Action trigger for improved accuracy and speed.

Comes with a 100% leather Bulldog OWB Holster with thumb break, HKS Speed loader, two TSS security keys, the felt bag it came in, the box with paperwork, 40 .357 Magnum JHP, and 25 .357 Magnum JFN.

Any feedback?

I could just wait for a less expensive ($250 - $300) 38 4 inch barrel gun come along, but the S/W did get my attention.
    It won't be shot much.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I would start looking for a S&W 686. That's 357/38 stainless. They come in all barrel lengths from 2 inch on up. They are 6 shot unless you find a 686+, they are 7 round. The 686 is build like a tank, and they hold their value very well. They are going to be in the $5-600 range used.
    Someone will be along shortly to recommend a nice Ruger.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am a fan of Taurus revolvers, but if it were me, I would pick up the S&W for that price.

I would start looking for a S&W 686. That's 357/38 stainless. They come in all barrel lengths from 2 inch on up. They are 6 shot unless you find a 686+, they are 7 round. The 686 is build like a tank, and they hold their value very well. They are going to be in the $5-600 range used.

Someone will be along shortly to recommend a nice Ruger.

1. Yes, the price did get my attention.
    2. The 64, 66 seem nearly identical except for 1/2 an ounce.
    3. I see where the 686 is a 357 Magnum, not a major concern, plus the extra cost as you pointed out.
    4. I wouldn't need a 2 inch, since I have a 2 inch (1.88) with the 642 I have.
    5. If I got another 38 it would be for the barrel, and greater weight (35-36 oz), the opposite of my primary goal of a light small CC at 14.4 oz.
    6. I'm not in a hurry, and I enjoy the hunt, but getting a Smith for $172 less than the price of new (Hoosier Armory) is better than I've done on any other deal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just saw where Taurus 4 inch barrel 357 were $350 and $400 new at Hoosier Armory, model 65 and 66.

On Armslist:
    Rossi R97104 357 for $325

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Judging from your other threads; I'm going to guess that you'll look to a low price as a major factor.

That being said - I would second the 686/Model 60 etc. S&W in a 4" to 6" configuration. Will cost more but will also hold value. The 686 will be a lot of fun on the range. Or for about what you are going to get for all the 9's your are/will sell - maybe a 686 SSR? ($$$) :-) Don't be afraid of the lock vs. no lock. I debated that for awhile and finally bought a new S&W with the lock and it is fantastic. Is my current "favorite" to take shooting.

Second pick would be a ruger GP 100 in 357. Don't own one but a very quality piece for the price.

After that...Taurus? Nothing "wrong" with the Rossi etc. but you get what you pay for.

I have never bought a "premium" priced gun and regretted it after a few year went by. By once - cry one. Well, except maybe for a shiny custom Colt that I'm afraid to shoot and scratch it....

My only caveat with .357 is that if you intend to shoot 38 - you may have some accuracy loss. If you want to only shoot 38s on the range you can find lots and lots of used SW's that are very accurate and have some entry level collectability.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Pretty much looks like a common path you're walking.
    I'm betting no matter how much advice we give here you're going to go through dozens of guns and learn what you like about each and every one.
    Welcome to the bang addiction.
    Check back every so often and let us know what you're enjoying in that time frame.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd suggest not throwing more $ at guns for now. Spend your money on shooting the guns you have and become proficient at it. Put your dollars toward ammo, training and practice. :twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Judging from your other threads; I'm going to guess that you'll look to a low price as a major factor.

That being said - I would second the 686/Model 60 etc. S&W in a 4" to 6" configuration. Will cost more but will also hold value. The 686 will be a lot of fun on the range. Or for about what you are going to get for all the 9's your are/will sell - maybe a 686 SSR? ($$$) :-) Don't be afraid of the lock vs. no lock. I debated that for awhile and finally bought a new S&W with the lock and it is fantastic. Is my current "favorite" to take shooting.

Second pick would be a ruger GP 100 in 357. Don't own one but a very quality piece for the price.

After that...Taurus? Nothing "wrong" with the Rossi etc. but you get what you pay for.

I have never bought a "premium" priced gun and regretted it after a few year went by. By once - cry one. Well, except maybe for a shiny custom Colt that I'm afraid to shoot and scratch it....

My only caveat with .357 is that if you intend to shoot 38 - you may have some accuracy loss. If you want to only shoot 38s on the range you can find lots and lots of used SW's that are very accurate and have some entry level collectability.

1. Price is a major factor. For me to buy a $400 gun over a $250 one is major for me, and the thought of buying one for $8-900 would give me great pause.
    2. I have found it is much easier to sell ten $250 guns that one $800 gun.
    3. Now, if I can buy one on a fire sale, like anyone else, I would.
    4. That's why the S/W 64 model for $400 used that sells for a couple hundred more new at Hoosier Armory got my attention.
    5. The seller never got back with me today, though, probably sold it; I was prepared to go get it today.
    6. But, guns are like cars, there is always another.
    7. Good point about selling my 9s, I sold 2 and have 2 more to sell: that would pay for a used 686, but I don't want to have too much money tied up in guns b/c I have a kitchen to remodel; it doesn't bother me, but it does the wife.
    8. She only stayed in the marriage b/c I sold the Sig and the Charter Arms in 2 days :rockwoot: I proved that she has nothing to worry about, I wasn't going to spend all her social security every month on guns. :laugh:
    9. She's been through this before back in the late 80s, early 90s when I owned a dozen different rifles and pistols (all low caliber and just 1 .38 in the mix. I started doing this in 1975 in college where you could pick up 22 pistols for $20-$50 easily. Then there was the comic book and card collection. Then there was the antique car phase (I owned 6 at one time ...and then the fight started.......).
    10. When I bought the Colt Mustand 380 in line at the 1500 Gun Show that was major, but I knew it was a bargain ($275 with 4 mags and box).
    11. I hear you about never regretting buying a premium pistol, especially now that I'm not a 20 something anymore.
    12. If my gun-loving, gun-toting best friend had not of moved away I would have continued my buying and selling for fun.
    13. I even got my paperwork for my dealer license back in 1990, but he moved away about the same time and I never did anything with it.
    14. Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much looks like a common path you're walking.
    I'm betting no matter how much advice we give here you're going to go through dozens of guns and learn what you like about each and every one.
    Welcome to the bang addiction.
    Check back every so often and let us know what you're enjoying in that time frame.

1. Yes, I'm not hard to figure out.
    2. You are so right about buying and going through guns, but I really do listen and even take notes about what to stay away from and what people prefer from their experience.
    3. Whenever I have sold/bought a gun I quiz and ask questions and learn everything I can from them.
    4. The guy that bought my Charter Arms 38 did so for his wife. He was a young man, about 35, and he had owned soooo many. He had 3 Ruger 380s, for example. I loved listening him and answer my questions.
    5. I definitely will keep my threads coming of my experience with my journey.
    6. With school starting up in a week, I'll not have time to indulge as much, but it has been a fun summer!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I would go with the S&W , they are fantastic firearms that do not depreciate much at all. Plus as others have said buy once cry once the Smith for sure will have better build quality than say a Taurus or a Charter.

Now as a side note since you indicated this might be for home protection have you thought about how to integrate a light with the firearm as Target identification is Paramount in a situation such as that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Personally I would go with the S&W , they are fantastic firearms that do not depreciate much at all. Plus as others have said buy once cry once the Smith for sure will have better build quality than say a Taurus or a Charter.

Now as a side note since you indicated this might be for home protection have you thought about how to integrate a light with the firearm as Target identification is Paramount in a situation such as that.

1. I agree and I have not bought others I have run across just to save $25-$100 like I would've when younger.
    2. No, I haven't got to that level about a night light.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I too would stick with Smith & Wesson. I've had Tauri in the past and still have several Rossis(I think the older Rossis are highly under-rated but still think a used Smith is a better deal at twice the price). You might get a good Taurus or Rossi, but the chances are probably no better than 50:50 and you'll have a hard time convincing anyone if/when you decide to sell. A used Smith will sell to the first person who happens by but you'll spend a lifetime listening to people dis your South American wheelies before you find a buyer.

Small, light, concealable is for carry. All those 'advantages' are disadvantages in a HD gun. You're smart to look for bigger and there's nothing wrong with a K frame Smith. The L frame(686, etc)was built for continuous use of .357 and doesn't sound necessary in your case. .357 shines out of a 6"+ barrel out at distance. A 4" .357 indoors is like a six shot flash-bang. And you pay a ton of money for the .357 compared to a .38. Same thing for adjustable sights,......there's an easy $100 difference between fixed and adjustable sight models and probably an additional $200 spread between .38 and .357. Good used 4" duty S&W .38's are cheap for what they are. A decent M64 should be easy to find for $300, at least if you shop on Gun Broker,......I've bought over a dozen of them. If you restrict yourself to local Craigslist/Armslist/gunshows/garage sales you'll have a much harder time finding one and you'll pay a hundred or two more,.....and you'll deal with more shysters than real people.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I too would stick with Smith & Wesson. I've had Tauri in the past and still have several Rossis(I think the older Rossis are highly under-rated but still think a used Smith is a better deal at twice the price). You might get a good Taurus or Rossi, but the chances are probably no better than 50:50 and you'll have a hard time convincing anyone if/when you decide to sell. A used Smith will sell to the first person who happens by but you'll spend a lifetime listening to people dis your South American wheelies before you find a buyer.

Small, light, concealable is for carry. All those 'advantages' are disadvantages in a HD gun. You're smart to look for bigger and there's nothing wrong with a K frame Smith. The L frame(686, etc)was built for continuous use of .357 and doesn't sound necessary in your case. .357 shines out of a 6"+ barrel out at distance. A 4" .357 indoors is like a six shot flash-bang. And you pay a ton of money for the .357 compared to a .38. Same thing for adjustable sights,......there's an easy $100 difference between fixed and adjustable sight models and probably an additional $200 spread between .38 and .357. Good used 4" duty S&W .38's are cheap for what they are. A decent M64 should be easy to find for $300, at least if you shop on Gun Broker,......I've bought over a dozen of them. If you restrict yourself to local Craigslist/Armslist/gunshows/garage sales you'll have a much harder time finding one and you'll pay a hundred or two more,.....and you'll deal with more shysters than real people.

1. I'm listening about the S/W, but I didn't have any problem selling my Taurus 357 ($275) or my Charter Arms 38 ($250) revolvers, but what you saying is consistent with what others have said. The guys that bought them, one a retired police officer and the other younger guy both owned dozens of guns and seemed quite knowledgeable.
    2. I went to Gun Broker and have been there before: confusing. It seems to be an auction, and the prices on those that are "Buy now" are not a bargain.
    3. The $400 Smith 4 inch SS .38 seems to have been quite a good price on Armslist that has sold.
    4. I need to find out how to work Gun Broker if there are bargains there. I'll spend some time tonight trying to figure it out.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Pretty decent deal on the M10 which is the exact same gun as the M64 except in blued steel.

GunBroker's pretty simple if you've got a receiving FFL you can work with. Like anything else, there are deals to be had but you need to sort through a ton of crap to find them. I have purchased a total of 15 M64s off of GB over the last couple of years and have never paid over $250. Haven't bought one in about a year but I still see them under $300. I happen to like the DAO version without a hammer spur and they do tend to sell a little cheaper than the standard version. I can't see wanting to run around with a cocked revolver in a HD situation so don't miss the hammer.

Surprising what you can find if you run your searches right(or at least it used to be. GB changed their search algorithm a couple of weeks back and really screwed it up. If you start with firearms/pistols/revolvers/Smith&Wesson/.38Special and look at the used guns it'll turn up dozens of pages. 1118 individual guns at this moment. Start at the back and work your way forward since the 'featured' auctions are all over-priced guns on the first several pages. Ignore 'reserve' auctions and if you don't want to waste months of your time getting outbid over and over after watching an auction for an entire week, just look at the (F) Fixed Sale guns or auctions with a Buy Now. Most might be a little high but if/when you find one priced right you can snag it with no drama. Watch the shipping charges,......makes a big difference when shipping can be free or $60. There's a sweet spot where deals pop up more often,....usually between 6 and 7 days left on a one week listing. You're looking for a decent gun someone just wants to get rid of. An individual seller rather than a dealer generally, although I bought the bulk of those M64s from one certain dealer(pawn shop actually)and he had them listed in lots of 3 or 4. Sometimes you'll find a dealer with a dozen of them and you have to trust you'll get a decent one 'similar' to the one that's pictured(I've always done fine on those). You're trying to find a gun that's freshly listed because if it's a good gun at a good price it won't last long. If you don't find it within the first few hours you'll never see it at all. That's why guys don't think there are deals to be had,....they don't put in the time and effort to look. That's how I've found $125 Rossi's and $250 pre-war S&W M&Ps and Hand Ejectors. They are out there if you know where to look.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered purchasing a police trade in .38 Special? Tough to go wrong at these prices.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...olver-heavy-barrel-rubber-grips-trade-in.aspx

1. I'm really open to it, I'd rather buy a used police 38 than a new low tier new gun, everything being equal.
    2. I'll try it out and see what I find.
    3. Someone suggested a site with these and it looked iffy with what you were getting: an unknown in quality and sometimes it even said their were no handles???

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered purchasing a police trade in .38 Special? Tough to go wrong at these prices.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...olver-heavy-barrel-rubber-grips-trade-in.aspx

1. Been looking at their site for the past 1/2 hour.
    2. Called them, but open at 9 am.
    3. They show a model 10 for $279 , that is scuffed up a little, and then they have an that says $299 "Your Choice," but they don't show any choices just a video about them???
    4. I'm sure it's me just not navigating the site adequately.
    5. Since these guns sell for $631 at Hoosier Armory (my benchmark for prices), they do get my interest.
    6. Since a new Taurus model 82 is priced at $312, it does push the point of resale later.
    7. If buy the $299 at Centerfire, you have to pay $25-$35 to have it sent to an FFL, also.
    8. I'd like to find this used from an individual and not deal with a site unseen with shipping and FFL fees and taxes.

Top Bottom