Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home Protection or Range

After looking, buying, selling, renting and shooting 9 mms at the range, for something in a small pocket CC, a little larger than my Mustang 380, I decided to go a different direction and get a S/W 642 J frame, small, Airweight: on sale for $299 at Cabela.
    I might keep 1 of my 9 mms, my Ruger LC9, just for fun, but I might sell it as well if I buy yet another revolver.

Even though I have the 642 S/W 38 for CC, I thought I might get a bigger gun for home protection, meaning a 3-4 inch barrel (or longer) and perhaps a 357, since I could put 38 shells in it if I wanted that option of going either way.
    I also would have the option of a larger gun for CC if I "mature" into that in the future.
    Buying a semi-auto that I trust to never fail, would mean putting more $$ into it than I need to, since I prefer wheel guns anyway.

I ran across these 2 on Armslist:
    1. SMITH & WESSON - 38 S&W SPECIAL - MODEL 64-5 - 6 SHOT STAINLESS STEEL REVOLVER - 4 inch barrel - FIXED SIGHTS - RUBBER GRIPS - $400

I thought this seemed like a decent buy.

I could get a Rossi, Charter Arms or a Taurus for less, but getting a S/W for $400 when they are $572 new at Hoosier Armory (my benchmark for new prices) seemed great.

Another choice:
    2. Taurus Model 65 SS 4" .357/.38 $415

A choice of .38 Special regular or +P or .357 Magnum, this medium frame, 6-shot revolver features comfortable rubber grips and a deep, lustrous matte stainless steel finish. With fixed sights and a custom Single Action/Double Action trigger for improved accuracy and speed.

Comes with a 100% leather Bulldog OWB Holster with thumb break, HKS Speed loader, two TSS security keys, the felt bag it came in, the box with paperwork, 40 .357 Magnum JHP, and 25 .357 Magnum JFN.

Any feedback?

I could just wait for a less expensive ($250 - $300) 38 4 inch barrel gun come along, but the S/W did get my attention.
    It won't be shot much.

Plinker
    I am a fan of Taurus revolvers, but if it were me, I would pick up the S&W for that price.

I would start looking for a S&W 686. That's 357/38 stainless. They come in all barrel lengths from 2 inch on up. They are 6 shot unless you find a 686+, they are 7 round. The 686 is build like a tank, and they hold their value very well. They are going to be in the $5-600 range used.
    Someone will be along shortly to recommend a nice Ruger.
    Last edited by 71silverbullet; 1 Week Ago at 06:51.
    Due to the high cost of ammo, don't expect a warning shot!

Quote Originally Posted by K9stang View Post
    I am a fan of Taurus revolvers, but if it were me, I would pick up the S&W for that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by 71silverbullet View Post
    I would start looking for a S&W 686. That's 357/38 stainless. They come in all barrel lengths from 2 inch on up. They are 6 shot unless you find a 686+, they are 7 round. The 686 is build like a tank, and they hold their value very well. They are going to be in the $5-600 range used.

Someone will be along shortly to recommend a nice Ruger.
    1. Yes, the price did get my attention.
    2. The 64, 66 seem nearly identical except for 1/2 an ounce.
    3. I see where the 686 is a 357 Magnum, not a major concern, plus the extra cost as you pointed out.
    4. I wouldn't need a 2 inch, since I have a 2 inch (1.88) with the 642 I have.
    5. If I got another 38 it would be for the barrel, and greater weight (35-36 oz), the opposite of my primary goal of a light small CC at 14.4 oz.
    6. I'm not in a hurry, and I enjoy the hunt, but getting a Smith for $172 less than the price of new (Hoosier Armory) is better than I've done on any other deal.

I just saw where Taurus 4 inch barrel 357 were $350 and $400 new at Hoosier Armory, model 65 and 66.

On Armslist:
    Rossi R97104 357 for $325
    Last edited by doddg; 4 Days Ago at 18:24.

Judging from your other threads; I'm going to guess that you'll look to a low price as a major factor.

That being said - I would second the 686/Model 60 etc. S&W in a 4" to 6" configuration. Will cost more but will also hold value. The 686 will be a lot of fun on the range. Or for about what you are going to get for all the 9's your are/will sell - maybe a 686 SSR? ($$$) :-) Don't be afraid of the lock vs. no lock. I debated that for awhile and finally bought a new S&W with the lock and it is fantastic. Is my current "favorite" to take shooting.

Second pick would be a ruger GP 100 in 357. Don't own one but a very quality piece for the price.

After that...Taurus? Nothing "wrong" with the Rossi etc. but you get what you pay for.

I have never bought a "premium" priced gun and regretted it after a few year went by. By once - cry one. Well, except maybe for a shiny custom Colt that I'm afraid to shoot and scratch it....

My only caveat with .357 is that if you intend to shoot 38 - you may have some accuracy loss. If you want to only shoot 38s on the range you can find lots and lots of used SW's that are very accurate and have some entry level collectability.

Pretty much looks like a common path you're walking.
    I'm betting no matter how much advice we give here you're going to go through dozens of guns and learn what you like about each and every one.
    Welcome to the bang addiction.
    Check back every so often and let us know what you're enjoying in that time frame.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Tired Of Winning
    I'd suggest not throwing more $ at guns for now. Spend your money on shooting the guns you have and become proficient at it. Put your dollars toward ammo, training and practice.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post
    Judging from your other threads; I'm going to guess that you'll look to a low price as a major factor.

That being said - I would second the 686/Model 60 etc. S&W in a 4" to 6" configuration. Will cost more but will also hold value. The 686 will be a lot of fun on the range. Or for about what you are going to get for all the 9's your are/will sell - maybe a 686 SSR? ($$$) :-) Don't be afraid of the lock vs. no lock. I debated that for awhile and finally bought a new S&W with the lock and it is fantastic. Is my current "favorite" to take shooting.

Second pick would be a ruger GP 100 in 357. Don't own one but a very quality piece for the price.

After that...Taurus? Nothing "wrong" with the Rossi etc. but you get what you pay for.

I have never bought a "premium" priced gun and regretted it after a few year went by. By once - cry one. Well, except maybe for a shiny custom Colt that I'm afraid to shoot and scratch it....

My only caveat with .357 is that if you intend to shoot 38 - you may have some accuracy loss. If you want to only shoot 38s on the range you can find lots and lots of used SW's that are very accurate and have some entry level collectability.
    1. Price is a major factor. For me to buy a $400 gun over a $250 one is major for me, and the thought of buying one for $8-900 would give me great pause.
    2. I have found it is much easier to sell ten $250 guns that one $800 gun.
    3. Now, if I can buy one on a fire sale, like anyone else, I would.
    4. That's why the S/W 64 model for $400 used that sells for a couple hundred more new at Hoosier Armory got my attention.
    5. The seller never got back with me today, though, probably sold it; I was prepared to go get it today.
    6. But, guns are like cars, there is always another.
    7. Good point about selling my 9s, I sold 2 and have 2 more to sell: that would pay for a used 686, but I don't want to have too much money tied up in guns b/c I have a kitchen to remodel; it doesn't bother me, but it does the wife.
    8. She only stayed in the marriage b/c I sold the Sig and the Charter Arms in 2 days I proved that she has nothing to worry about, I wasn't going to spend all her social security every month on guns.
    9. She's been through this before back in the late 80s, early 90s when I owned a dozen different rifles and pistols (all low caliber and just 1 .38 in the mix. I started doing this in 1975 in college where you could pick up 22 pistols for $20-$50 easily. Then there was the comic book and card collection. Then there was the antique car phase (I owned 6 at one time ...and then the fight started.......).
    10. When I bought the Colt Mustand 380 in line at the 1500 Gun Show that was major, but I knew it was a bargain ($275 with 4 mags and box).
    11. I hear you about never regretting buying a premium pistol, especially now that I'm not a 20 something anymore.
    12. If my gun-loving, gun-toting best friend had not of moved away I would have continued my buying and selling for fun.
    13. I even got my paperwork for my dealer license back in 1990, but he moved away about the same time and I never did anything with it.
    14. Appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by doddg; 1 Week Ago at 19:16.

error

Last edited by doddg; 1 Week Ago at 19:18.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast