Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Browning Hi Power Question

Wondering? I have an what I believe to be a early model year that has a Belgium roll mark on it, and at some point it appears someone tried to give it a stainless look on the frame. Since it has already been altered would it hurt the value if I were to have it treated to return it to a consistent black treatment? There is a local guy that has given me a quote of $400.00 to do it and in addition he would go through the gun as well.

Initially I purchased it for no other reason than wanting one to add to my safe. Both my son and I enjoy it at the range.

Thanks

User Info Menu

IF it's early enough it should be blued.
    How about some pics if you can. Heck, it might just be a worn finish. Those early guns lasted for decades in all the elements.
    Some were made in WW2 with lesser finishes, only the latter are black as far as I know.
    I have my dad's BHP from '35 and it's still a beautiful gun in a deep lustrous blue.
    I've seen a few that have no finish left on them. They're kind of silvery I guess you could say.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfmileharry View Post
    IF it's early enough it should be blued.
    How about some pics if you can. Heck, it might just be a worn finish. Those early guns lasted for decades in all the elements.
    Some were made in WW2 with lesser finishes, only the latter are black as far as I know.
    I have my dad's BHP from '35 and it's still a beautiful gun in a deep lustrous blue.
    I've seen a few that have no finish left on them. They're kind of silvery I guess you could say.
    I added an image if that might help

Thanks

Marksman

User Info Menu

Best guess it is one of these.

Hi-Power Practical

Master

User Info Menu

Date code the serial number.

Not in on the high power dates and numbers but I have a feeling it is not as old as you were thinking. The ring hammer was used until 1972 and that is a straight hammer. Then again there were models made pre 1972 with a straight hammer and after 1972 with a ring hammer. So nothing is written in stone.

Plinker

User Info Menu

For the price, I would keep it like it is and shoot the hell out of it... Spending that much money on refinishing it is not going to increase its value by the money you spend IMO. Like the posters said above, google the date ranges on the serial number and that will tell you alot more about the age, and if the finish is original or not.
    Here is a link to browning's list of serial numbers, but there are other websites that you can look it up on...
    Hi Power Pistol

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Looks like from what I can tell its possibly a 1981 manufacture its a PZ looks like it could have possibly come from the factory with the two tone. Which would explain the mystery. Although not as old as I had thought its still a nice shooter.

User Info Menu

They came like that somewhere in the early 90's. I forget the name of the finish but the other type looked like this. I bought one new somewhere around then and had it worked over by Novak's. Trigger job, sights and Spegal grips and cut the hammer a bit. Those things have a tendency to bite hard. Heck, if you have cash and want something real nice have one of the real good smiths deck it out and weld a beavertail to it. Some of those look incredible. Yours appears to already have Spegal grips on it. Your sights have also been replaced.

350px-SilverchromeHP.JPG
    Last edited by Max Volume; 07-15-2017 at 23:27.

User Info Menu

Like this:

hi-power-010.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast