Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    From the CMP site:

06/29/17 An update on the 1911’s…

Congressman Rogers’ amendment passed late last night with the FY2018
    National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The legislation will now move
    to the House floor and go to the Senate. Read more at https://mikerogers.house.gov/press-release/rogers-ndaa-good-east-alabama. The CMP has no further information at this time.

Thank you,

Mark Johnson

Chief Operating Officer

From Cong. Rogers' site:

The amendment would compel the Army to release M1911A1 pistols to the
    CMP. Transferring these vintage pistols to the CMP would allow them to
    inspect, grade, prepare for sale and sell these pistols. The CMP would
    reimburse the Army for costs associated with the transferring of the
    pistols. CMP South, headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, oversees sales.
    Similar language has been in the last two NDAAs, but the previous Obama
    Administration would not allow the Army to deliver the pistols to the
    CMP for political reasons.

Sigh...it looks like yet more of my money will be flying out the door. :spend: But it will be nice to get one from the pool that I carried back when. :rockwoot:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The last 1911 I was issued was about 1992 it was in rough shape no finish on the frame it had a newer slide.
    So loose you could hear things rattle in the holster as you walked. It functioned ok it was not accurate.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm sure the grades will run the gamut just as the M1's and Carbines did. But they will be inspected by the CMP and probably the worse cases will be refurbished and function like newish. I first fired expert with the 1911 back in '76, last with the M9 in '03.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I remember one of the guys had a 1911 that was brand new it was a Remington Rand. It had not been refurbished it had no arsenal dates stamped on it.
    I hope the prices won't be crazy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wont believe it until the first one ships. Hell, we have bills languishing right now with more than enough votes to pass, but they arent being brought forward. (reciprocity for instance) Heck, doesnt that bill have almost enough sponsors to pass? Or am I thinking of another?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wont believe it until the first one ships. Hell, we have bills languishing right now with more than enough votes to pass, but they arent being brought forward. (reciprocity for instance) Heck, doesnt that bill have almost enough sponsors to pass? Or am I thinking of another?

It really sucks when the people have spoken by empowering a group to do their bidding and it is business as usual. The typical "Hey look we are on your side" bravo sierra at 1st and then they hunker down to feed themselves.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I hope so, I was stationed at Ft. Mc Clellen Ala, back in the mid 70's for MP School, we drove into an underground storage facility and there were cages upon cages of M1911a1's in storage racks for a good distance. Other weapons stored there too in bulk, M-1, M-2, M-14, M-79's and revolvers all in large cages in racks.

My dad in 1966 had a M1911 framed Colt with a M1911a1 Colt slide delivered to our home in Detroit in time for the riots, bought it out of his NRA magazine for $26 delivered. I have it now locked up in the safe.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's part of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) If the NDAA passes this amendment passes with it. The only thing that stopped it in the past was 'O's opposition to it. Sounds like a pretty done deal. But yeah, I'll be happy with it when mines in the mail...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    NRA-ILA article on them states: "This year’s language, however, would effectively make the transfers mandatory and would remove the yearly cap. Currently, the military has some 100,000 excess 1911s sitting in storage at taxpayer expense." and "Upon completion of the Senate NDAA, the House and Senate will convene a conference committee to resolve the differences in their bills. If you would like to see 1911 sales return to the CMP, please contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and urge them to keep the House language on this matter intact in the final bill they send to the president. You can contact Senators and Representative at 202-225-3121.

100K is a good number that could help to keep the prices reasonable.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair, and test fire all pistols prior to sale

How to I apply for the job of test firing 100,000 1911s? How much would I have to pay them to let me be the one to test fire each and every one of those pieces of history? Even if you only did 10,000 per year, you'd have to average about 5 guns each hour of each day for 10 years. Sounds like heaven to me.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    As much as like history a starting price of $1000 for a beat up 1911 sounds crazy too me. When I get a really nice mint Rand 1911 off a friend of mine for under $1800 right now.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    As much as like history a starting price of $1000 for a beat up 1911 sounds crazy too me. When I get a really nice mint Rand 1911 off a friend of mine for under $1800 right now.

Im with you. I have never had a 1911. I want one but not sure what to get. Would love an old war horse for the history but to get the grade i would want for the price they will ask I will add a little more and get somthing nice.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Yeah, me too. But given that the CMP doesn't ask crazy prices on anything else maybe he was just trying to scare people into not asking any more questions about the 1911's. They have signs up in the CMP stores that say "Don't even ask about the 1911's". I will wait and see. Don't expect them to start selling them until next year at the earliest, and then only the ones that don't need work.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sounds like heaven to me.
    Same here, they do have a volunteer program...I wonder if that's the right place to apply.

If you have the desire to spend time with an organization dedicated to the advancement of America’s marksmanship effort, and to work in a living history environment, CMP may be the right place for you.

Sounds like test firing those 1911's would be working in a living history environment.

Top Bottom