• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    You guys are very clever and funny. I thought it was Tom Givens but could not find it. Thanks.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    9 rounds of 45acp is plenty for two people if you can make your shots. Doesn't matter how many rounds you got. If you can't hit you cant hit.

I can place shots faster on target with my 1911 than I can with a M&P9 or Glock 17. The ergonomics of the 1911 just work with my hands and grip better than most polymer pistols.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    9 rounds of 45acp is plenty for two people if you can make your shots. Doesn't matter how many rounds you got. If you can't hit you cant hit.

I can place shots faster on target with my 1911 than I can with a M&P9 or Glock 17. The ergonomics of the 1911 just work with my hands and grip better than most polymer pistols.

I posted this in another thread that is getting onto the 1911......after watching Lawn Mower guy take 4 or 5 in the chest at 10'.....then get up and walk in the house........I am staying with Defense rounds in .45 ACP. 9 or 11 of these should end most threats.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

There was a case study in Guns and Weapons for Law enforcement magazine where a city officer got pinned down by a gunman. He had exhausted his duty hi cap firearm and spare magazine. A trooper was the first back up to arrive and he disabled the gunman with two shots from a revolver. The gunman was also using a revolver. Whatever ya got....get good with it.

It is still a nice thing to have at least one more bullet than the bad guy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a case study in Guns and Weapons for Law enforcement magazine where a city officer got pinned down by a gunman. He had exhausted his duty hi cap firearm and spare magazine. A trooper was the first back up to arrive and he disabled the gunman with two shots from a revolver. The gunman was also using a revolver. Whatever ya got....get good with it.

Agreed on both counts.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

I agree . . . gotta be good with what you have . . . using disciplined fire. It also avoids hitting the innocent bystanders.

John

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I agree and I think Tom would as well. IIRC the original quote was more along the lines of the 1911 being a one or two bad guy gun in a 3 or 4 bad guy world. It should be noted Tom was living and working in Memphis at the time. In reality there is little difference between any of the service caliber rounds in actual performance. There are way more important factors than caliber. If someone shoots a 1911 well and that is what they want to carry, good for them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Probably a man bun as well.

Not quite.:):

Tom_Givens.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh I have no doubt that Tom can shoot 1911s and Revolvers and Glocks better then 99.9% of INGO. I remember his quote being that the 1911 was a two bad guy gun and him living in a 3 bad guy town. That was simply in reference to the reduced ammunition capacity of the 1911. More capacity in his words are not so we can shoot more, it is so we have to reload less. Tom is in no way anti 1911 but he has switched to carrying Glocks.

Top Bottom