• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Depends on what you want, but you won't find many people with derogatory comments about the quality and reliability of the M9/92FS.
    It's a bit big as pistols go, but a person wanting to carry it concealed can even do that, with a proper holster of course.
    There is also quite a lot of support in the aftermarket and customization industries.
    It's still an excellent choice, even after the domination of the Tupperware guns of late.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It is an excellent pistol! Accurate, dependable, and flat out beautiful. Some would have difficulty with the grip size relative to trigger reach, but only for really small hands. Agreeing with above...its just a bit big and heavy by modern wonder-plastic nines. But that is also the redeaming beauty of it. All metal, has some weight, and shoots amazing. I would argue that few if any pistols out there have as smooth as slide action as the Beretta 92's...like glass!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought one used that was is pretty decent shape considering it was an EDC for a Michigan LEO.

My wife was the first to shoot it. She put the first three shots in the same hole dead center of the bullseye at 7 yards.

She took claim of it right away.

Everyone should have one in their stable.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My M9A1 is my EDC. I conceal it AIWB and it's very comfortable. It's not a gun that's for everyone as the grip is a little large, but for the right person it's an excellent choice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The biggest downside is that it's very difficult to do anything with the front sight. I'm also not a fan of slide mounted safeties, so the ergonomics aren't what I'm looking for. If those things don't bother you, it's a great pistol.

There's going to be a special edition of the M9 released soon, as well, with input from Ernest Langdon. (This is not the full EL edition that's been delayed, it's sort of an in-between model and will retail for under $700 per Langdon) It's going to have thinner grips, an orange painted front sight, and I don't recall what else.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It does seem to be a big pistol for what it does. I don't have tiny hands, but not big'uns either, and I found the M9 just a bit large and clunky for a 9MM doublestack. Otherwise seems to be a perfectly serviceable gun.

If you like all steel and a safety, the Browning Hi Power has a much sleeker form factor and ergonomics, and while 13 round mags are standard, you can get good flush-fit 15 round mags as well. Get rid of the magazine safety tho.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    I used to own one, and liked it. It is large and heavy as hell for carry, though. You also have to be okay with DA/SA. I've just owned striker fired guns for a while, so it might be weird going back to that long hard pull on the first shot.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    What BBI said about the sight and safety are spot on. However, the safety can be changed to decocker only in 20 minutes with a $50 part from Beretta. If it's going to be a defensive gun this is nice to do.

With the front sight you can do a couple things. You can have someone drill out the front sight and put a fiber optic rod in, or you could get the 92A1 which has a dovetailed front sight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is a full sized pistol. I think they are a fine pistol, not as perfect as a good 1911, but very good. Good enough that I have owned multiple examples. I like the DA/SA action on a carry gun. When I instructed at the range, that pistol was what I switched students to after they could handle a Ruger MKIII. The Berettas shoot very smooth and are very easy to shoot well, with soft recoil.

The Brigadier models have a dovetail front sight if you are determined to replace the sight. If your only concern is about night sights, there are plenty of police trade in examples with dead trijicons. Triijicon will re-element them fast and cheap.

New and used Mil surp magazines are readily and cheap. These pistols are not picky about magazines, they function with anything close to correct. The model 96 in .40 S&W has been a good performer also.

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Shot and carried the M9 plenty as an MP.

Recently purchased one of the 92 'S' pistols that are currently on the surplus market for CHEAP - $289 for the VG / $319 for the VG+. I am completely sure that 99% of the people viewing this forum will foolishly allow the heel mounted mag catch to scare them away.

The difference in location for the mag catch is a NON ISSUE. Even after years of shooting the M9, the training translates directly. I have not once 'fumbled for the catch in the wrong spot', as I am sure several people here will suggest will happen in a vein attempt to justify why they haven't already purchased one or three.

They shoot beautifully, and both of mine have been reliable with FMJ and hollow points. They are surplus... Which means they are only cheap becuase they are plentiful... and they are only plentiful for the moment - these have been out of production since the 70's, and once they dry up, there wont ever be any more manufactured. The models currently coming in are in EXCELLENT shape - IF another batch ever does come in there is no guarantee that they will be in this fine condition.

Remember the surplus Sig P6 circa 2004 / 2005? I got mine for $220 in excellent shape, with a spare magazine, duty holster, and leather mag pouch... I should have bought 3 or 4. Fast forward 10 years, and now they are $500 on GunBroker for the gun alone. They WILL dry up, and the prices WILL skyrocket just like the P6.

To the ignorant:
    It is true that the 'cheap surplus m9' magazines are not compatible. However, you are NOT restricted to using old 'S' type magazines. MANY of the various Beretta factory magazines through the years have included cutouts for BOTH types of catches. So does MecGar, and ProMag. Finding magazines that are compatible with the 92 S is EASY. I got 3 from the last gun show by browsing the gun parts / magazine tables - Scored and New Old Stock nickel plated MecGar still in the blister pack for $20. It's not hard.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good solid 9mm, I carried one as a farm/woods gun when the sights on my T6 Browning became hard to see.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Excellent choice for personal protection or just flat out fun at the range. Very reliable, very accurate and super easy take-down. Plus aftermarket and factory parts are everywhere.

One thing I disagree with in an earlier post, stick with Beretta factory mags ("PB" marked), Mec-gar (who make factory mags) or MDS (who also make factory mags) as they are usually 100% reliable. I have a couple of MDS mags that are identical to the "factory" mags except where the "PB" is, it is marked "MDS" with all other markings the same. A friend of mine gave me (as in free) a few other mags and due to their non-reliability, I use them to practice failure to load, failure to feed, double feeds, etc.

Signed, certifiable Beretta Series 92 nut!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The 92FS is a classic. It is accurate, easy to maintain, all metal construction and a blast to shoot. My son has used our 92FS Inox in competitions and does very well. We reload 9mm and have "dialed in" our reloads and at 25 yards our groups are excellent. Buy the pistol, you will not regret it.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Absolutely love my 92FS. Can't add anything more than what has been said already except Mec-Gar makes 18 round magazines that are exactly the same size and quality as the stock Beretta 15 round mags, they also make 20 rounds mags but they are about 5/8 of an inch longer. 18 rounds of 9mm is a lot of firepower and makes up for the size and weight of the gun.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Absolutely love my 92FS. Can't add anything more than what has been said already except Mec-Gar makes 18 round magazines that are exactly the same size and quality as the stock Beretta 15 round mags, they also make 20 rounds mags but they are about 5/8 of an inch longer. 18 rounds of 9mm is a lot of firepower and makes up for the size and weight of the gun.
    I run a 17 round mag with a 20 round MecGar spare for EDC. I figure 38 rounds of ammo (and the accuracy of the gun)helps justify the size and weight.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Awesome pistols. Like the 1911 they are outdated. Wilson combat makes nice easily installed upgrades. Or you can send one in to them to rework.
    But id stake my life on one again any day. However I'd rather carry a glock now.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was a CATM Instructor and SP that taught and carried an M9 for almost 20 years as well as the DAO varient for an LE agency. As much as I didn't want to like the Beretta I can't. It's a great gun and we never had any issues they always worked and we're accurate if one learned the trigger.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    If it weren't any good it wouldn't be so popular. Drawbacks sure, but that's the case with anything. Besides what some see as Drawbacks others see as pluses in some cases. You just have to determine if the good points which are many out weigh what may or may not be a drawback to you.

It's metal and it's bigger than most which works great for me at the range. Personally I'm not a fan of felt recoil and my hands can't take it as much nowadays anyway. You'll feel some but it's certainly not as snappy as those light plastic guns, So heavy and larger works great for me. Besides plastic lacks character in my opinion and whether something looks good or not does play into any of my decisions and this includes guns. A block of plastic just doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom