A hammer is a gun on a gun is an Antique...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Between the naked and afraid crap, forged in fire, and the damn balisong competitions with the kids in the butterfly knife circle jerks at Blade show this year, if I would have seen/heard Yeager there I would have lost it.

If someone can be trained on a striker fired gun, why can't they be trained on a DA/SA gun?

3 minutes and 55 seconds of my life I can't get back and still wondering why I watched it

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The man's reputation aside, he does have a point with technology. The DA/SA concept was invented during a specific time period and the mindset behind it was for the poorly trained soldier with itchy trigger finger and how that translate to today is people who switch from heavy triggers to lighter striker fire triggers will cause accidents. That's what happens when a system relies on the equipment over quality of learning how to operate better.

Every time I've read about said history of early DA/SA guns like the P38, the stories I hear is that soldiers can carry rounds in the chamber with no fear of accidental discharge or they can keep pulling the trigger on a round that failed to fire the first time because of the DA trigger. Which is a very old school mentality.

Even today, I hear justifications for DA/SA guns is the so called "safety" reason when what I think is it's a poor excuse for better training. No don't tell me people can't afford the time or money for training so they don't accidentally shoot themselves. If you are willing to spend money for self defense, then you need to get trained so you can not have accidents and that goes for any system.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even today, I hear justifications for DA/SA guns is the so called "safety" reason when what I think is it's a poor excuse for better training. No don't tell me people can't afford the time or money for training so they don't accidentally shoot themselves. If you are willing to spend money for self defense, then you need to get trained so you can not have accidents and that goes for any system.

Safety is a continuum. I think all of us recognize that a 1.5 lb trigger would be easier to accidentally touch off than a 15 lb trigger. The DA trigger simply gives you more margin of error, because no matter how well trained you are you will never reach 0% chance of an accident. It is also safer to holster, as you can place your thumb over the hammer and feel any movement if the holster were to be collapsed or obstructed. That does not mean you cannot be safe with a striker fired gun, of course, or that you can't screw up with a hammer gun.

All UDs are software issues, other than true hardware malfunctions. That does not mean that hardware is irrelevant.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    That I wasn't going to bother to watch it.

I was correct.
    Hahh! Likewise. FWIW, I don't own a single striker-fired pistol anymore. I have nothing against them, but as I developed a real fondness for revolvers over time, I again became drawn to the 1911 platform. All my handguns including my EDC have an external hammer, and so far I'm living a full life.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm not going to bother watching it either. If you're so insecure that you have to rip on 1911s (as he's done it the past) or rip on Sigs, Berettas, HKs, CZs, etc...then you have some issues. I couldn't care less if someone thinks my choice of gun is antiquated. I like it, and I can run it. That's all that matters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer and 1903 Pocket Hammerless. Both are antiques, but good ones.:)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not heard much from Yeager lately. I guess he need to stir the pot a bit to remain relevant on YouTube. I'm not a Yeager hater, but do see him as being kind of two dimensional in thought. Not much depth to his thinking, but he makes up for it with enthusiasm. What's the old saying something like: He less he knows of something, the harder he defends his knowledge of it.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have a hammer on my old star 22 and on my new Judas pistol. I like both more than my striker fired xdm. Now I want a dual stack hammer fired 9.

Antique or not I prefer a hammer.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Safety is a continuum. I think all of us recognize that a 1.5 lb trigger would be easier to accidentally touch off than a 15 lb trigger. The DA trigger simply gives you more margin of error, because no matter how well trained you are you will never reach 0% chance of an accident. It is also safer to holster, as you can place your thumb over the hammer and feel any movement if the holster were to be collapsed or obstructed. That does not mean you cannot be safe with a striker fired gun, of course, or that you can't screw up with a hammer gun.

All UDs are software issues, other than true hardware malfunctions. That does not mean that hardware is irrelevant.

The typical stock Glock trigger is roughly 5.5 lbs. That's not heavy, but it isn't that light. Most Striker fire guns have a similar pull.

Also, if you are in a situation where you need to thumb the hammer as you holster because you aren't willing to check to see if your holster is clear, then you're doing it wrong. You make sure your holster is clear either by touch or look at it. If you throw the argument that you shouldn't look at your holster after shooting your gun because you don't think it is safe, then you shouldn't be holstering your gun.

Remember, safety starts with you, not which gun you decide to use. I find it a bit narrow minded for people who thinks the gun should tell them if they are gonna have an accident or not because the DA trigger signals you as you holster or touch the trigger. You are not more likely to get an accident with a striker fire because simple the gun. It is because of YOU and lack of training and practice. Anything else is an excuse.

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools" does not mean, as so many seem to believe, that tools don't matter at all, only skills do, so if someone failed it can't possibly be their tools, only their skill.

It means that part of being an expert craftsman is having the experience and skills to select excellent tools, and the experience and skills to drive those excellent tools to produce excellent results. Blaming your tools means either that you lack skill, or that you chose your tools poorly because you lack the experience and skills to choose correctly. Sitting there and defending bad tools does not impress me; it makes you sound like a craftsman who can not tell the difference between good tools and bad tools... and that's a bad craftsman.

Yes. Tools matter. Good tools won't bring you to your optimum peak performance on your own, but bad tools will guarantee you'll never get there. Bad tools typically take longer to work with, and typically teach bad habits to get around their deficiencies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Also, if you are in a situation where you need to thumb the hammer as you holster because you aren't willing to check to see if your holster is clear, then you're doing it wrong.

Situations change, and often do so rapidly. A deadly force situation when you started your draw can be a hands-only situation before you can break the trigger, or even after. This is more often an LEO issue, but non-LEO have been confronted with it as well.

Example #1 was a pet store where "crazy cat lady" went off because they wouldn't let her "adopt" a cat that day. She apparently confused a pet store with a animal shelter and thought because she had become attached to a particular cat she shouldn't have to pay for it. She began knocking things off the shelf and when confronted by an employee she began screaming she'd kill everyone in the store if she didn't get her cat and reached into her purse for a gun.

So let's say you are the store manager and draw as she begins to pull a gun out of her purse. She immediately drops the purse and gun but rushes you screeching about the cat. You going to shoot her? You're younger, bigger, stronger, and she's now unarmed. Fight her with a gun in your hand? Run, which means she could return to her purse and weapon?

Example #2, senile neighbor is threatening your spouse with a knife in the drive. Upon your armed response, he drops the knife but begins striking your spouse with empty hands. Are you going to have the presence of mind to look your gun into the holster while your spouse is being struck? Shoot an elderly senile man who's maximum level of unarmed force equates to bruising?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Situations like those are where you need a handgun that also doubles as a good club. More like a Colt SAA than a modern plastic framed gun.;)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If you can run your DA/SA like a Navy Seal then the video doesn't apply to you. Problem is most people can't and he sees that in his classes. I don't have a ton of hammer, decocker and thumb safety experience but what little I do have I'm quite sure I need some serious practice before carrying or fighting with one.

Top Bottom