• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the old days (1980-1990's) we had bows shotguns and handguns as deer harvesting options.
    started smooth bore slug gun. So I used a slug gun for short shots and a handgun for distance shots. Often toting both in the field.

bought my T/C contender in 35 rem. Harvested many deer with it. Buddy had same style setup in 357 max. These are more or less mini rifles with bi pods and scopes. When I started into handloading found what might be the perfect round in a 14 inch contender for deer the 7-30 waters. Harris bi pod sling 4 power or 6 power scopes carries well but you need to make the shot count. I also have used a stonie point shooting stick for many years and a stick with a nice little shelf for year before that. It is hand cannons I think are made for hunting. Have taken squirrel rabbit fox coyote raccoon possum skunk deer all with the contender pistol and now often take it as a rifle also. The gen one contender has a very nice trigger and is very accurate.

As the 2000's rolled around the rifled took over for a while and the handguns slid into the background. So the 586 357 smith was often carried after the buck was harvested for does mainly. Also a model 29 smith at times. Seem to like the 357 more but the 44 downs then faster.

Once the PCR rifles became legal the choice was easy. 44 mag marlin 1894. Last year the AK was taken once. Now this year I can take about anything so the pistol as primary will only happen after buck tag is filled.

If a revolver is involved I like a nice big chest holster and a four power scope.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Preferred would be 44 mag, with 357 in 2nd place. Even a hot 45 long colt is pretty capable at max loads.
    If money is no object (i wish...), then it'd be fun to use 454 Casull, 460 mag, 500 mag.

For actual hunting - assuming the gun is primarily for hunting and not for ccw, then a 6-8" barrel is great for max velocity and being able shoot off of a rest/stix.
    I'm partial to Rugers, but wouldnt think twice about using a S&W (ooohhh, I drool over those s&w PC hunting revolvers - like the stealth hunter in 44mag)

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    .44 magnum, 6" barrel, S&W Model 29 loaded with a stout load of powder under a 240 grain bullet usually does the trick.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have taken a few deer with the 7 1/2 inch barrel Super Blackhawk in my avatar. It's a 44 magnum of course. It has not been used for several years in that capacity. I have found that a lever action 44 mag with 20 inch barrel is so much more accurate. Last year I used my 30-06. I'm not about the challenge. I'm about putting meat in the freezer, and a clean kill.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I hunted in Maine and New Hampshire with a handgun. Colt python .357 and my dad hunted with a Dan Wesson .357. I shot 2 white tails and 1 black bear for 2 seasons.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The only deer I ever shot with a pistol is my biggest deer to date. I had a fractured eye socket and couldn't shoot a long gun due to recoil on cheek bone. My FIL loaned me a Savage Striker in 243. That is one heck of a hand gun. This year I bought a Glock 40, I'm gonna carry it as a hunting side and if the opportunity shows might try a deer with it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The only deer I ever shot with a pistol is my biggest deer to date. I had a fractured eye socket and couldn't shoot a long gun due to recoil on cheek bone. My FIL loaned me a Savage Striker in 243. That is one heck of a hand gun. This year I bought a Glock 40, I'm gonna carry it as a hunting side and if the opportunity shows might try a deer with it.

I have one of those Savage Strikers, but mine is in .308 and wears a 16" barrel.
    What a monster of a handgun!
    I prefer my Raging Bull in .454 Casull.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't even attempt to hunt with a handgun until your skill level will keep all shots on a paper plate at the distance you think is your maximum. The deer I've killed with a handgun were taken with a S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman with 4" barrel. Telling my age, the ammo was Super Vel 137 gr. jacketed soft points. IMHO, staying within your skill level range and using adequate ammunition for the job are the biggest concerns. All that being said, if I were going deer hunting this coming season with a handgun, it would be with my S&W 629 Classic with 5" barrel loaded with either my 240 gr. lead swc or 240 gr. Hornady jacketed hollow point. I'd keep my shots within 50 yards.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    BE understand the skill and range limits associated with handgun hunting and I would not use too much gun rather something I can handle and shoot well at 50 yards. I have property in Orange Co (100 Acres) and 50 yards would be a "normal" shot

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    BE understand the skill and range limits associated with handgun hunting and I would not use too much gun rather something I can handle and shoot well at 50 yards. I have property in Orange Co (100 Acres) and 50 yards would be a "normal" shot
    Sounds like you have it all together. Good hunting!

Top Bottom