• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Should a person spend $75 more for a 43 instead of getting a Shield?
    It sounds like some say either way, and it is subjective.
    Size wise, even though I have shot both, I don't remember size comparison.
    I assume they are very similar, but the Smith has a shorter barrel (3.1) but is 3 oz heavier (20.9 oz) than the Glock (3.39 and 17.9 oz), so I am assuming the Shield is a little "meatier."

1. I just spent the last hour (it seems) listening to vids comparing the two, and it's close.
    2. I like small, and the Glock would win that, but the Shield seems to barely beat it out; it really depends on what you are looking for.
    3. That would make the price point important in the used market if you are prejudiced either way.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't shot a shield, but have held one. I'm also familiar with the M&P line.

IMHO, if you carry/own a M&P, buy the shield.
    If you carry/own a Glock, get the Glock 43.

If you own neither, and are looking at buying a shield or G43, watch this video:
    [video=youtube_share;93PHr6I5O1A]http://youtu.be/93PHr6I5O1A[/video]

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I've had both. The Shield is the larger of the two. I shot both equally well. I am more familiar with Glocks and have been a user of Glocks for 25 years. That is how I made my choice. If I had been with M&P's I'd chosen the Shield.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven't shot a shield, but have held one. I'm also familiar with the M&P line.

If you own neither, and are looking at buying a shield or G43, watch this video:
    [video=youtube_share;93PHr6I5O1A]http://youtu.be/93PHr6I5O1A[/video]

1. I actually read this in an article. Thanks! exactly what I was looking for as a novice.

South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    I don't like the way the M&P's trigger pivots in the middle, course you can always change that out. Also the slide serrations always seem too weak on M&P's.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    G43 all the way for me. I've shot and carried Glocks for 10+ years as well as shot in competition so everything is right where it "belongs" but this one carries perfectly AIWB for me vs the 26,19,30 that I have tried in the past.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    At the end of the day it is personal preference, you have to handle them and if at all possible shoot them. From my own research and personal experience the Shield handles the recoil better but it's marginal. I can shoot the G43 better, the G43 is a tad easier to carry but both with the right gear are great carry guns so the bottom line is that I think is personal preference.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At the end of the day it is personal preference, you have to handle them and if at all possible shoot them. From my own research and personal experience the Shield handles the recoil better but it's marginal. I can shoot the G43 better, the G43 is a tad easier to carry but both with the right gear are great carry guns so the bottom line is that I think is personal preference.

1. That sums up my evenings worth of research perfectly!
    2. Love this site for its feedback!

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    I think that there's something to be said for the argument that if you are used to Glocks, stick with the Glock, and if you are used to the M&P line, go with the Shield. I haven't shot the Shield yet, but have held it at a store and I can tell you that the two feel very different in hand. To me, the Shield didn't fit my hand well. That being said, I hear that they are great, and can't believe the prices around $280 that I have seen some people mention.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

If you own neither, and are looking at buying a shield or G43...........

If you don't own either look at a Walther PPS.

I have spent time time with all of guns and they are all fine.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I rented both and fired them back to back last year and shortly afterwards ordered a Shield. The trigger on the Shield was far easier to manage for me. The shop that rented the guns said the Shield had been fired far more. Add to that at the time the Shield was about a $100 less and can hold up to 9 rounds which is the same as my much larger Sig P239. I still liked the G43 and if I ever bought a Glock the G43 would be the one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a 43, and like it. It seems that around here it is more than a $75 difference, though.

1. I use new prices at Hoosier Armory as my benchmark since they sell at better "wholesale" prices than other shops. I don't know why people who buy new guns don't all go there since they are right there in Carmel (sell out of a garage, not a store front: reduced overhead).
    Glock: $454
    Shield: $374
    2. Used Priced right now on Armslist:
    Glock: $430-$450
    Shield: $280-$300 (or more)
    3. Used, the Shields are doing much better since people claimed they were buying them for $225-$250.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Shot both several times before I landed on a Shield. I'm an admitted M&P "guy" but for me, I felt like the Shield shot like a much bigger gun. Felt better in the hand etc. Even after buying a Shield (from Hoosier Armory by coincidence), I shot a friends G43 a few more times and still came back to the same conclusion. YMMV.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you don't own either look at a Walther PPS.
    I have spent time time with all of guns and they are all fine.

1. I have spent 45 minutes looking Walthers over.
    2. There is one for $300 on Armslist and another for $400. New at Cabela I'm seeing them for $405- $450.
    3. Is the Nano something to avoid? $400 new and $300 used (about the same as the Shield).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1. I have spent 45 minutes looking Walthers over.
    2. There is one for $300 on Armslist and another for $400. New at Cabela I'm seeing them for $405- $450.
    3. Is the Nano something to avoid? $400 new and $300 used (about the same as the Shield).

I have no experience with the Nanos. Honestly the Shield, G42/43, and Walther PPS are the three to look at right now. With the Shield and PPS having the longest "track records" to back them up. Shields have or had a nice rebate. Walthers I believe have a rebate as well. Glocks are Glocks.

Top Bottom