• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Been looking for a 38 Police used gun.
    2. Cost about $280 -$330 with $35FFl fees and taxes, and maybe shipping.
    3. Found this one I'm going to go look at from the 70s.
    4. The owner knows guns and has several and he said this one shoots great, but the bluing is what it is.
    5. He said there should be no problem putting thousands of rounds through it.
    6. I'm going to get it for $275 with the extra grips and loader.
    7. I'm going to meet him in 45 minutes and need to go to the bank!

Up for sale is a smith and wesson model 10-8 38spl 6 shot 4" heavy barrel round butt had a wide hammer. Comes with speed loader and extra rubber grips. Finish is a little rough but its a solid gun and super accurate.

7129359_01_smith_wesson_model_10_8_640.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the gun at home and I am pleased.
    The bluing is what I would call normal for a gun around 1977-80 according to the serial numbers.
    The trigger it's great: this owner had taken the side off and put in a new hammer , which I guess includes the firing pin, stirrup, and sear, which he knew when he bought it.
    He had bought it on Armslist awhile back and after repairing it he put 150 rounds through it, and it laid around and didn't get any further use so he just sold it to get his money back and I assume make a buck.
    I would rather have bought one like this locally, than ordering and taking a chance on what I'm getting and having to pay FFL fees and taxes .
    Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the range and try out this 38 and my Walther PPS bought this morning

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great gun... even with worn blueing, if you take care of it it'll last another 40 yrs easily.
    Good find!

1. Yes, I had a good day!
    2. Bought a beautiful Walther PPS M-2 LE at 9 am and this 38 at 4 pm for $300 with a 6, 7 and 8 round mag with special sights (which is better than anything else I've seen in a long time).
    3. I had been looking for another small 9 mm, a little bigger than my Ruger LC9 and Taurus 709 Slim and also had decided to get an old 38 to shoot since I didn't want to put rounds through my new 642 at the range.
    4. Both in the same day: my wife is going to kill me, and not need a gun to do it. :laugh:
    5. She is learning a little trust, though, since whenever I sell a gun it takes less than a day since I buy right and sell w/o trying to make any money.
    6. I've only sold 4 guns though and bought 10 since May. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great find OP, I've been wanting one of those for awhile now. Great gun that has plenty of years left!!

I was glad to get this kind of gun locally.
    If I find a stainless steel someday, I'll get it and sell this one.
    The trigger has been reworked on this and feels like new!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    1. That's the sort of thing a newbie likes to hear to affirm his choices. :laugh:

It's one of the most pointable, shootable handguns ever made....The round butt with a 4 inch heavy barrel is not "rare" but it is not near as common as the square butts....I would slap a pair of Tyler T grips on her, peruse ebay for a vintage 1970's holster and know she'll outlast you....A Smith is one of those rare weapons that you can tell how awesome the trigger is by the age and wear on the gun...Mid 70's with that kind of wear rates the trigger as "awesome"...

I guarantee it...Nice find...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With ten purchases since May and range time, I think your newbie status has been raised to addict. The rest of us never-to-be recovering addicts welcome you!

1. That was so funny!
    2. It was quite a run since May!
    3. My wife and I were just talking about it and the money I've spent, going from 2 guns to 7 guns (since I sold some).
    4. I saw a Beretta Neos for $250, that I wanted to buy on Sunday (after buying 2 on Saturday), but I passed.
    5. If the price is right, I'll buy about anything, cheaper than renting a gun at the range since I buy them for what I can sell them for. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's one of the most pointable, shootable handguns ever made....The round butt with a 4 inch heavy barrel is not "rare" but it is not near as common as the square butts....I would slap a pair of Tyler T grips on her, peruse ebay for a vintage 1970's holster and know she'll outlast you....A Smith is one of those rare weapons that you can tell how awesome the trigger is by the age and wear on the gun...Mid 70's with that kind of wear rates the trigger as "awesome"...

I guarantee it...Nice find...

1. I put the rubber grips (can't remember what the seller called them) on it the other night, the wood grips were fair and I like the looks better, but this gun was bought for the range, and probably home protection, which after shooting my small 9mm guns, and my 1.875 inch barrel Airweight Smith: it will be a pleasure.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Would any of you guys cold blue something like this or just leave it alone? I had an old revolver and applied some Brownells 44/40 but that thing was practically in the white.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Did somebody say model 10? Here's my 10-5

attachment.php

Really???? You posted that pic????? You know how I feel about those grips ese....Dang it man they are prettier than I remember...Remember I get first dibs...I know "technically" I am not Latin but an Argentine wife from L.A. gives me some Latin street cred....

If they ever make cockfighting legal in Indiana again can I at least BORROW them to wear on a Smith to the post fight BBQ??? Please???? Nice square butt snubbie K frame Jase....

So the list of "If I ever get rid of these Indiucky gets first dibs" is now:

Smith and Wesson Model 63
    Smith and Wesson 22/32 Target Beakhart (Did we date that thing yet???)
    And K frame square butt grips with the Aztec Chief and Calendar (and IIRC the eagle and the snake motif on the other side...)

Those three....(I know it's not likely but I have to try brother...:))

Last edited:
    Top Bottom