• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I wrote about the problem I had with my Sig Sauer Mosquito not firing 3 to 4 rounds per 9 round mag.
    I called and talked to a tech. about the problem. he said I needed to send it in for repair.
    I had to pay $55.00 shipping to Sig.
    I receiver it back. The invoice said I had the recoil spring in backwards.
    That could have happen when I cleaned it after firing.
    the invoice stated that they "TEST FIRED USING CCI MINI MAG WITH NO MALFUNCTIONS."

I took it to a combat shoot. I purchased CCI mini 22 from the range.
    I shot half the course using Winchester 22. I had the same amount of failure.
    I shot the second half using CCI mini.
    I had the same amount of failures.
    I just got off the phone with Sig Sauer "AMI".
    She was extremely quick pulling up my folder.
    I explained I was having the same problem with non fires.
    The first thing out of her mouth was the correction of the recoil spring.
    Then she asked what ammo I used. I told her I used CCI.
    She asked what grain.
    I did not remember.
    Then she explained that the Mosquito was made overseas. They used a hotter load.
    Then she said that Sig stopped importing the Mosquito and that another (firefly) is now.
    She said the Mosquito must use only CCI 40 grain to be Reliable.
    I stated to question Sig Sauer quality BUT hung up before I got profane.
    I found the box of CCI i purchased and they are 40 grain CCI.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I understand the need to use high-velocity in a .22 pistol for reliability, my S&W M&P 22 requires it (made by Walther in Germany), but a specific load from a specific brand? That's nuts. The M&P 22 eats runs on every HV .22LR I've fed it except for Federal American Eagle lead round nose....and that didn't run in my Marlin 60 either. I've used .22 Stingers, Mini Mags, Winchester Super X, Remington Golden Bullet and even dirty old Remington Thunderbolt and it goes several (15 to 20) magazines between misfires...it is a rimfire after all.

You have the right to expect the same. I agree. This is unacceptable.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    dang.. I had heard general grumbles about the Mosquito. Sorry that it's THAT bad.

Cut your losses. Get a M&P 22, or Buckmark, or Ruger, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are, by and large, junk. Sig knows they are junk, which is why they point out they aren't "real" Sigs.

Try this:

1) Lightly oil the chamber. If this helps, the chamber may be rough and need a light polish. Definitely not uncommon.
    2) Use a lighter oil on the slide rails
    3) Work the slide a metric butt ton by hand to break in the recoil spring.

Or junk it for something that works.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well that smells...I have a Colt .22 (formerly known as the Cadet) and it has never failed to fire/feed...the only issue I've had with low power rounds is not locking the slide after the last round. Good luck with that annoying buzzing sound.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP sorry for your problems. I don't buy the "use hot loads for pistol", sounds like an excuse for poor workmanship. I have a Ruger 22/45 and Buckmark 22, both shoot and cycle standard velocity 22 ammo. They will shoot and cycle any ammo I've used.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If you bought the gun new, it came with two springs, one for hotter ammo and one for weaker ammo.
    My youngest daughter has one, I have always ran CCI Mini Mags, I don't think it is the bullet weight so much as the velocity.
    We have never had an issue with it.

Look at your CCI ammo, 1260 FPS or higher is what you need, or switch springs. If you bought it new, look in the box for the other spring.
    Also included with a new one, are 3 different front sights of different heights.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Sorry to hear about your luck with the Mosquito. I must have a unique one, it will feed, fire and extract ant 22LR that is put into it. Nothing has been done to it, just the normal clean, lube and use the "weaker" recoil spring.

I can "dispose" of your Mosquito in a safe manner if required ;)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    What BBI said.
    I had a Walther P22 that was just as bad as your mosquito.
    Could not get through a magazine without a failure.
    I took some 2000 grit sandpaper and rolled it up to about the size of a .22 casing (this takes some trial and error).
    Then worked the sandpaper in and out of the chamber.
    It is tempting to put it in there and spin it but that does not polish in the right direction (that's my theory anyway).
    I was also careful to always put the factory cut end of the sandpaper in first to hopefully mitigate any damage to the end of the chamber.
    It was miraculous.
    The last time I took it out, that little pistol did not have a single failure.
    36 gr Winchester hollow points, Remington golden bullets, Federal...
    I tried the worst ammo I could scrounge up and fully functional.

I know they are cheap little pistols, but Phoenix will tell you the same thing about ammo.
    The also recommend CCI 40 gr.
    I think some of the 22 ammo has such variable quality, which btw is why it cheap, that they do kind of have a point.

I want my 22's to shoot cheap ammo, so I am willing to do a little work on them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That is why the Firefly works... It's made by GSG! Now that makes sense.

The Mosquito was always made by GSG, it was rebranded as a Sig (Sig imported them), just like the 1911-22 "Sigs"

Since the German Sig import stop ATI is importing them under the actual GSG brand

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep
    Confirms all that I've heard about this gedunk gun.
    Get yourself a real .22 LR pistol, namely a S&W Victory, Browning Buckmark, or (would be my pick in a walk) the Ruger MKIV.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    My son has the GSG Firefly and has yet to have a failure. Don't know if he got one of the "good ones" or not, but he's put about 1500 rounds through it. He doesn't use any of the THunderbolts, or Geco, or Win Bulk ammo in it that goes through the bolt-action rifle, he uses CCI Mini mags and Aguila Super Extra. These firearms, like the M&P22, have heavy slides for a 22 (think about the physical size difference between a SR22 or a P22 and a M&P22 or a Mosquito/Firefly) and that's why they need high-velocity rounds to work the action. Otherwise there ends up being a stovepipe or FTF or some other failure due to the heavy slide.

EDIT: This thread is useless without pics
    36323783176_9997903f3a_c.jpg

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gosh.

A S&W 41 sure does look good, doesn't it?

-Nate

It always did...but seems like it may be in a different price bracket. Heck, when I got my M&P 22 shortly after they came out, it was in a different price bracket from things like the Mosquito/Firefly.

What's a model 41 going for these days, $1,300 new, and $900+ used?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Thank You for all the suggestions.
    How do they help the Mosquito not hitting the primer hard enough to fire the round.

Many rimfire's ignition can be helped by reducing the diameter/width of the contact portion of the pin. The factory engineers like to engineer them as such for maximum durability, and also so that WEHN (not if) some dumbA#$ dryfires their rimfire, the contact portion of the pin is not going to peen the chamber rim immediately.

The above is meant to say 1) either get a smith to, or (2) use our own hands to reduce the contact area of the pin so it creases the rim of the casing more deeply. You aren't going for a sharp point, because that will end up damaged itself, and/or can pierce the brass, leading to poor ignition, gas leakage, and ejection issues on automatics.

-Nate

Top Bottom