One gun for personal protection and target shooting, possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Just started shooting pistols this May. So far have only shot rental .22lr pistols (Browning Buck Mark and S & W Victory), about 1,500 rounds. I go to an indoor range about once a week.

Thinking about buying a pistol. I'm thinking of getting a gun that would be good for personal protection and also good to take to the range for target shooting practice. Makes sense to me to shoot regularly what I would use for defense. Everyone at the store/range thinks I should move up to a Glock 19 or 17. Spending an hour holding different guns I liked the Walther and Kimber .380's the best. I'm also a left hander so finding something with controls on the right side would be helpful.

Spending a bunch of time looking on the web, but not the same as touching... The Zenith MC14 (Girsan) has peaked my interest due to size and controls on both sides. Would be great to find one I could touch.

Only been to 1 store and 1 gun show so far, need to get out and visit others to see what is there.

I'm not going to just ask what you would recommend, but ask what do you know would be close to the size of a Glock 19 AND have controls on the right side?

Thanks,

Tim.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Walther PPQ in 9mm, perhaps? It has the ambi slide release, and if you get a Gen1, the paddle-style mag release at the bottom of the trigger guard is ambi by default. But be careful with that trigger for a self defense/carry gun... it's *really* nice, but very light and smooth.

The CZ P-10 would be another solid option, better perhaps than the PPQ, and it has ambi controls as well.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi Tim - welcome to INGO.

Is 9mm ok? Does it need to be .380? I'm also assuming that you're not talking .22, but rather a centerfire cartridge capable of self defense.
    If you could only have 1 gun (why limit yourself??:D)
    First, I'm a lefty and have adapted pretty well to regular, not-lefty-friendly guns.

To answer your question:
    the M&P line has ambi controls, as do the new Rugers ("American") and the Beretta APX -- I belive all of these are fully or at least partially ambi. Something along the lines of a Glock 19 (not ambi), HK VP9 (partial ambi), Walther PPQ (partial ambi), XDm (not ambi), would be fine IF YOU NEEDED ONE GUN TO BE A JACK-OF-ALL-TRADES. I think the FN lines - FNS/FNP/FNX/ FN509 are all fully ambi to my knowledge. The polymer CZs are partially or fully ambi.
    By "partially ambi" I mean that it may have a slide release for a lefty, but perhaps not the mag release - or - on some guns you can swith the mag release, but then it's a dedicated LH gun.

I would also add that a revolver in 38 spl or 357 magnum (which can also shoot the weaker 38 spl cartridge) would be worth considering.
    This could be a S&W 686 variant, Ruger GP100 variant would be the most popular

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . what do you know would be close to the size of a Glock 19 AND have controls on the right side? . . .

If/when the G19M is readily available, it has the slide catch on both sides (purportedly), and the mag release can be reversed. Who knows when it will be readily available.

OP, Do you want fully ambi controls, duplicated on both sides, or just all the salient controls on the "left hand" side?

One other thing I might mention, OP, is that defensive shooting and "target practice" are really two different things. Related, yes, but different in many important ways as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not going to just ask what you would recommend, but ask what do you know would be close to the size of a Glock 19 AND have controls on the right side?

Beretta PX4 is ambi/reversible and about that size if you're ok with a hammer fired gun. I'm not super fond of the ergonomics, but that's personal preference and not right or wrong.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glock and be done. End of thread.

My Glock never leaves my side. Friend of mine has been carrying same one for 23 years. Shoot the hell out of it and stuff it back down your pants.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Everyone at the store/range thinks I should move up to a Glock 19...

This is good advice, Tim. Start with this, you can specialize later. Learn how to shoot the gun of law enforcement and the majority of citizens. Don't waist time with the arguably substandard .380.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW...the mag release can be reversed on the Glock Gen 4 pistols. I rarely use the slide release since I prefer to slingshot the slide and there isn't a manual safety to be concerned with.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Glock 19 is the easy answer, but there are other options. If you don't mind a hammer then a czP07 is a great choice or an hk p30. The P10 is a good choice for a glock alternative if your looking for striker fired. In the striker group you have to put the fn 509 in there, it is my favorite range gun, it will make you look good and it is not a bad pistol to carry even with 17 round magazines.

I say glock because it is the easy answer. Easy access to a variety of holsters, cheap magazines, a huge aftermarket, and they are good shooters.

The 509 is a more comfortable pistol to shoot and is factory with ambi controls. the mag release works both ways out of the box so you do not need tools. I do not use slide releases but the 509 is ambi in that respect too.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I would recommend something in the Compact Range. I'm not a big fan of Glocks...I prefer the M&P line. I carried the 9c for a couple years before downsizing to a Shield. Going too 'pocket sized' will make it not fun to target shoot. I'd recommend 9 mm as well. The .380s I've shot are too snappy to be 'much fun' at the range. They tend to make 380s very small as that's what they were designed for.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Spending an hour holding different guns I liked the Walther and Kimber .380's the best.

Just because it feels nice in your hand when you hold them doesn't mean they will feel good when you shoot them.
    Especially when you're talking about small .380 guns where you can barely have a three fingers grip.
    A small .380 will have more felt recoil than a full size 9mm and will not be as easy and enjoyable to shoot.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I agree with others. G19 is a very good choice, and the aftermarket parts would allow it to grow with you(trigger, barrel, etc). However on caliber choice shot placement is a huge factor, but i would try to stay away from the .380 if you can 9mm is far superior. Sometimes i carry a sig p230 which is .380 if im wearing gym shorts. Other than that, i carry my G19 99% of the time. Good luck

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From experience, I'm very much a try before buying kinda person. Find one that comfortable and fits your needs.

I'm fond of the PPQ personally, despite many attempts Glocks just don't feel natural for me.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I came here to recommend the Glock 19. I see I wasn't the first.

Me too. I haven't had the G19 very long, but the more I carry it the more I like it. Of course it shoots great also. I am a steadfast 357 junkie and will never give up the wheel guns. I either carry a 2 1/2 inch 686+ or the Glock 19. Huge fan of both. I am taking my younger boys to the range tomorrow and there will be plenty of 9mm and 357 to go around. So, I can really narrow it down to 2 if I have to. 686 Smith and Glock 19!!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll second the recommendation to try a CZ P10C. I've owned and wanted to like the G19, but they did not work for me. The CZ is a gun that I shoot much better than most other guns that I own, plus, it's completely ambidextrous. Another option would be a CZ P01 or P07. Those are very nice shooters that also are stellar carry guns. Most compact CZs will make a good target pistol as well as a great carry gun. Glocks are great guns, and of the 8 I've owned, I still have 3, but there are better options out there if you want a good gun that's both great for carry and great for target shooting. The one caveat to that would be the Glock 21. If you can carry a full size .45 Glock, the G21 would make a good dual purpose gun. It's on the large side though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Gen 4 Glock 17 or 19, S&W M&P 9, Walther PPQ, Sig P320. Pick the one that feels best to you and go with it. 9mm is the least expensive center fire cartridge for the range.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom