• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Any of you following the thread regarding the 200,000 round Glock 21 over on GT? It's 18 years old and the owner is thinking that it's time to retire the gun due to barrel wear points causing timing issues. On one hand, I think that it's pretty cool that someone ran a G21 for 200,000 rounds over 18 years. On the other hand... Heck, there is no other hand. 200,000 rounds is just plain cool no matter how you look at it. It looks like the gun could run a lot longer with a new barrel but the owner wants to keep the gun intact.

What would you guys do if your favorite gun hit the 200k mark and needed a new barrel. Retire or rebarrel and keep shooting? I'm thinking that I'd retire the gun and maybe put a mag or two through it a year for old times sake.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would probably frame the barrel in a nice glass case to be prominently displayed :):

All joking aside, 200k, that's pretty dang impressive....

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    200K rounds...geezus!!

If my math is right, and assuming the owner used 230gn ammo, that's a little over 6500 pounds of bullets that thing has thrown downrange!!

I think the old girl has earned a nice rest after all that...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I dunno man, I heard on INGO that those Glocks are just accidents waiting to happen, I'd be looking for any excuse to retire it.

For me, guns are largely seen as tools. I've bought and sold several dozen over the past 20 years and regret getting rid of very few. That said, I do have guns that belonged to my grandfathers which are more than simple tools and I have a few sniper rifles which I consider to be retired at this point, only to be shot for old time's sake. If I owned a work horse that had performed for 200k rounds and was starting to show its age I believe I'd retire it and keep it in its original configuration. 200k is something to be proud of for sure, it's a trophy at this point.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I dunno man, I heard on INGO that those Glocks are just accidents waiting to happen, I'd be looking for any excuse to retire it.

For me, guns are largely seen as tools. I've bought and sold several dozen over the past 20 years and regret getting rid of very few. That said, I do have guns that belonged to my grandfathers which are more than simple tools and I have a few sniper rifles which I consider to be retired at this point, only to be shot for old time's sake. If I owned a work horse that had performed for 200k rounds and was starting to show its age I believe I'd retire it and keep it in its original configuration. 200k is something to be proud of for sure, it's a trophy at this point.

Dang skippy I agree it's a trophy now! I've always shot G21's well, and always regretted not having one when I didn't. For me it's the 45 to have besides a 1911, fantastic shooters!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would like to see what kind of groups it is shooting at distance. I replaced the barrel in my G19 at a little over 80,000 and there was a measurable difference in group size.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Retirement time, the Glock-27 I have on me now is as old and worn, just not shot out and I still carry it everyday, but I agree it is time to switch to something newer but I cannot bring myself to do so yet.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Musical instruments are just tools, too. But a great tool is an emotionally satisfying thing. The first time I used Knipex pliers, I was like "Whoa, where have you been all my life?"

So I'd either frame it or ask Glock if they want specimens for their own museum.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Trophy? Heck, he's always USED it as a tool. Bring the tool up to spec and keep using it. It's apparently been pretty reliable at some point in it's life.
    Maybe Glock will give you a new one. Not many guns will ever see 200K.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    There was an ongoing torture test by some gentleman in a popular publication some years back, concerning a Glock 17 Gen 1 he bought when they first hit the market back in the 80's. I believe he went 288k rounds before any sort of mechanical failure. A $5 fix regarding the striker or something in that neighborhood. The pistol was subjected to over 20 years of constant carry, dry fire, live fire (obviously), practice draws and so forth. He also did a number of unrealistic things to it, such as packing it with fresh cow pie and firing, dropping it from a helo onto concrete, freezing it in ice, and leaving it at the bottom of the pacific ocean for 6 months. One thing of relative note-he went 10k rounds without cleaning it once. Hard to imagine people are still dropping thousands on boutique pistols when you can get that kind of rugged reliability from $500 gun tupperware. People put a lot of stock in looks and feel I suppose.

Personally, I'd just buy a new barrel, but keep the old one to throw back in the gun and display once I got too old to shoot.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I will say that a firearm is a tool and the worse thing you could do, is relegate something you've carried and relied on for so many years to some dusty bookshelf as a "conversation piece". It does the tool and the memory a great injustice.

Top Bottom