• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3KP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    Indpls
    I'm curious what is a good small hand gun. I been looking at the body guard 380. Mainly due to it has a safety. I would like for it to fit in my front pants pocket or possibly a ankle holster

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I pocket carry a J-frame quite a bit in the summer. I wear cargo shorts most of the time, and I have no problems slipping one in my front pocket along with a good holster.

3KP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    Indpls
    It doesn't have to be a .380 I'm a service tech line of work. I go in and out of peoples homes all day long. Caught someone trying to break into my van while I was in a customers house. I went out and yelled at them, at that point I had a gun pulled on me. They left no harm and nothing taken this time. I have a M&P 40 compact it's little bulky to be carrying and don't want to scare my customers. Which got me thinking for a pocket pistol but need it to be small and undetectable.

Looking for suggestions.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Ruger LCP is about the biggest that fits my pocket well, and M&P Shield the biggest that fits ankle form me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pocket carry is pretty personal. It depends on your build, your pants, how active you are, etc.

If you are dead set on pocket carry, I'd look at the various S&W j-frames as well as the Ruger LCR and LCP. No caliber lower than .38 or .380. The 9mm Shield is a very solid choice, although too big for me to pocket but ankle carries fine. Some guys can pocket them just fine, though.

Remember to use a pocket holster, which increases safety, helps break up the lines of the firearm, and keeps it oriented correctly in your pocket. Carry nothing else in that pocket.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Plz use a holster, even if minimal to cover triggerguard (raven concealment, etc)
    Ruger LCP2, LC9, or LCR are good choices, and i would prefer them to the s&w bodyguard (this gun never impressed me much - though i never carried one daily)

Shield and Walther PPS or glock 42/43 would be right on the big side, but possible if pocket size and tightness allow.

Sig p938 or 238 might be worth checking out - these have a 1911 style safety

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It is surprising that some of those revolvers carry so well in a pocket, don't rule them out.
    A lot of folks prefer the flatter semi-autos, but the revolvers dont feel quite as bulky as you would think, since its only the cylinder that's a bit wider

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.
    I don't normally carry it in an ankle holster, except at work. Carries great in an Uncle Mikes ankle now for about 3 yrs. Nice size and not too heavy. I am partial to my Glock 43 and my Sig p-938, but the Bodyguard goes in the ankle holster just fine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a big fan of the Sig P938 for pocket carry. It's quite easy to shoot well given it's size. But, if you do go with pocket carry, definitely get a good pocket holster.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I like a S&W J-Frame as a pocket/back up gun loaded correctly they can pack a decent punch (better than a pocket .380). If I am wearing pants an ankle rig works really well and is almost undetectable since you are in a work setting. Here is a good clip about ankle carry and the advantages a revolver has in that application.

[video=youtube;Ym7DpuFmLy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7DpuFmLy4[/video]

3KP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    Indpls
    Thank you for the input. Never considered a revolver but I like the Smith and Wesson 642 (wonder if I can get it in all black?)[h=1][/h]

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thank you for the input. Never considered a revolver but I like the Smith and Wesson 642 (wonder if I can get it in all black?)

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-442

Same basic gun, either get a performance center model or have a good smith do a trigger job and you have a sweet little pocket / back up gun. I personally use the 360PD which is an ultra-lite 357 Magnum it only weighs 13oz loaded so it is not noticeable in the pocket, though with magnum loads it is not pleasant to say the least.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-360-pd

On the Taurus I would personally stay very far away, there are some things in life you can cut corners on cost wise, a gun you bet your life on is not one of those things :twocents:

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Kahr p380. Well built! Superb accuracy! Smooth double action trigger. Best double action .380 out there

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Plz use a holster, even if minimal to cover triggerguard (raven concealment, etc)

. . .

Sig p938 or 238 might be worth checking out - these have a 1911 style safety
    Concur with holster. The two Sig Sauer were the first to come to mind. Both handle well. The P938 is slightly larger, but not much. Second was a snubbie revolver. Most of those will be 5 rounds though. They do have some advantages over a pistol: simpler mechanically, easier to maintain, and won't go out of battery disconnecting the action when pushed against a body. I recommend .38 Special +P, at least for the ammunition even if you buy a .357 magnum revolver. The .357 magnum loads are a lot to handle for a lightweight, short barrel revolver; doable but more difficult than the .38 +P.

John

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    442 S&W been my choice for 18+ years. Fits pocket, and pocket holster combo. Also use Boot Grips vs oversize Pach's, or other rubber. Ebay has a ton of grips, even bought some wood boot grips, and are nice too. Around $35. Also carry a speedstrip or two in opposite pocket. Hollowpoints for sure. Good luck.

Top Bottom