• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, to start with, I'll say I'm a die hard Beretta fan (mostly the 92 series and older) and I have a good sized collection of Beretta pistols, running from an old crotchety 418, an M1934, virtually an entire series of Mod 70s, and of course my 92.

But a weird thing happened to me the other day. I went shooting a Point Blank as part of a work event and we had 4 included rentals with the package. After picking a .22 for the newbie shooters and a Glock 43 for one of the guys who was looking at getting one, we had 2 left. I immediately decided on the Beretta M9A3, since I have been considering picking one up. For the last one, the Instructor (who also was included in the package) suggested we pick up a Sig P320 and in particular, suggested the Sig P320 X5, since that is what he used in competition.

The range session went fine, with the newbies learning to shoot on the .22 and moving on up and with me spending some time with my MP5 and FNX .45 Tactical. But that's when the weird thing happened. I grabbed a turn with the rental Beretta and Sig. I found, much to my horror, that I really didn't didn't like the M9A3. The trigger felt odd and the gun somehow just didn't handle as well as my old police turn in 92FS. On top of that, the trigger pin kept popping out of place. Now I know range guns get used worse than rental cars, but the gun wasn't old enough to have problems like (hell, my 92FS is easily 20 years old and has well over 10,000 rounds through it and it doesn't have any pins popping out anywhere).

Then I tried the Sig. I didn't want to, but I found myself really liking it. It handled really well (and as a "out of the box competition gun" it darn well should). Trigger was great and the gun just pointed naturally.

Did I just become <gasp> a Sig fan?

I guess, though, given the recent revelations about the Sig P320, I should be glad I didn't managed to have it misfire into my foot. ;)

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At a local range last weekend my buddy and I exchanged his X5 and my RIA 9mm 2011.
    We were both pretty pleased, he really liked my hi cap single action and I really liked the narrow front sight on his X5. We both kept 4 bowling pins suspended from chains rocking and rolling.
    I'm looking into a Dawson narrow sight for my gun now

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whelp, I found a deal on a gently used Sig P320 X5 on Armslist that I couldn't resist. Now, if I only could find some time to get to the range.

l3GM8DTk7u0a0WqQKNm_QVUph1on-8FtcyN1WsNeWnRMZX-fvDmrT4K74sVCJaMr1BTrnJ5OhLf9YkaAg2ZgIBNfmRcAYdpp1lzmXnzh830LphgOdY5K907BRZvfL2OGoq5nW_rCGlUVG8GuXAcEEBgdwQFUKtp9CWfGTsKrXDSss6XkJ9wo207_8kFn6ctfzGixfXDnieQ4GD2afkGxQh8ZZiI0cBa0sVmHqd-pO5OiC0IjD9Z_ycVN5jdGAaVcQ8di-eqE_uYwHFuJ0-VFj0rezC3WdY7yM4vy6JHteCCsEuhTuVFmlr_Hqq6TpxjtK49Vs8fsdFP_-Rqs8Whvt8d7fADrs6SM3W5FabS8UMiV-XytzWuuOLuRzaEtEx1sQUNyxdnW_e_xu_fAisP3dEi2ElQ6-BslQ9zz7riLFagGoBFdNRuTTYLj8Qg7p6lWUZeW6ytMU_g3-iKxDt-UKBb4I59VOG8tJDSzuhR_APMQPAAn7fLoQ_52ATuSaHC9munLBhviO7bD6bUMKdfQrUfpnn6x4zuNvqZdeNB2KMffgL2_ZPvYhKrfd-ZFO2NE_Zs3I6nSsy8ZCoOCzmVP2yxTYDJEmosRZ09i-EJHnrD-Z0-kzl8zSoDSZuLSqle7RMPYNBJgTkIi5LGwzVLZ2B7pPqkatWc8zkWpLj8wAjJ9KA0=w1267-h950-no

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    People get so wrapped up in a particular brand or type of tool. Try stuff. You might like it. You might find something that works better. You might find you still like what you've always used best. It's good to have a broad familiarity with the options.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So, to start with, I'll say I'm a die hard Beretta fan (mostly the 92 series and older) and I have a good sized collection of Beretta pistols, running from an old crotchety 418, an M1934, virtually an entire series of Mod 70s, and of course my 92.

But a weird thing happened to me the other day. I went shooting a Point Blank as part of a work event and we had 4 included rentals with the package. After picking a .22 for the newbie shooters and a Glock 43 for one of the guys who was looking at getting one, we had 2 left. I immediately decided on the Beretta M9A3, since I have been considering picking one up. For the last one, the Instructor (who also was included in the package) suggested we pick up a Sig P320 and in particular, suggested the Sig P320 X5, since that is what he used in competition.

The range session went fine, with the newbies learning to shoot on the .22 and moving on up and with me spending some time with my MP5 and FNX .45 Tactical. But that's when the weird thing happened. I grabbed a turn with the rental Beretta and Sig. I found, much to my horror, that I really didn't didn't like the M9A3. The trigger felt odd and the gun somehow just didn't handle as well as my old police turn in 92FS. On top of that, the trigger pin kept popping out of place. Now I know range guns get used worse than rental cars, but the gun wasn't old enough to have problems like (hell, my 92FS is easily 20 years old and has well over 10,000 rounds through it and it doesn't have any pins popping out anywhere).

Then I tried the Sig. I didn't want to, but I found myself really liking it. It handled really well (and as a "out of the box competition gun" it darn well should). Trigger was great and the gun just pointed naturally.

Did I just become <gasp> a Sig fan?

I guess, though, given the recent revelations about the Sig P320, I should be glad I didn't managed to have it misfire into my foot. ;)

OMG! You've gone over to the Dark Side! :):

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I own a 320(not x5) and a 92fs. They are both great shooters and very easy to handle. I too was a Beretta fan. Then I had a friend who needed cash and I had the itch and made the jump. Now I'm down with the signess. I've also become a fanboy of just about every gun except glocks.. I'm still working on that one. I still come back to my trusty 92. The difference is now, I have a well rounded respect for it as opposed to following blindly.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would highly recommend you try the P226 if you haven't yet. The P226 TacOps is awesome.

You know, I've never really been a fan of the 226. I haven't shot a TacOps, but I have shot a regular one. There is something about the control setup I don't like.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    You know, I've never really been a fan of the 226. I haven't shot a TacOps, but I have shot a regular one. There is something about the control setup I don't like.

At first I thought the controls were odd but that's because they were just new to me and I quickly got used to the controls. Too bad realy because in the hand at least for me it's my most comfortable gun to fire.

Top Bottom