• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Looking to set up a home defense pistol. I want a light, laser, high capacity, prefer no external safety. I do not want an AR pistol as I live in a duplex and over penetration is bad. I've got a few viable options in my safe (509, g34, CZ p07 40cal) but I'm also looking for an excuse to add to the arsenal lol. A few I've considered are the m9a3, USP, vp9, fnx45, any others I should consider? No 1911s must be high capacity and must have a rail. I'd also prefer a factory threaded barrel. When kids are in the mix a suppressor may be a requirement to protect their ears, or so I'll explain to the misses....

Next is the light and sights. I prefer to have a laser light combo. I wear contacts so sights can be fuzzy with no lenses, glasses may not be an option in an emergency. A bright light with a pronounced laser is preferred. I've had a viridian but I hated the controls, and with how far forward they sit I may have a reach issue if I go fnx45 route.

So help me spend some money, share your home defense pistol, and your opinions on equipment. I'm sitting on a pile of store credit at the lgs so we can afford to be a little over the top.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Streamlight tlr-2 (that model has laser). Id advise to NOT get the HL (high lumen output) which is a bit TOO bright for inside use (unless in a massive mansion with 40 yd distances inside)

Fnx45 tactical would be great if u want .45 -- u can get 1911s with rails :) Para and a few others offer some good hi-cap 1911/2011s if that platform suits u
    HKs, XDMs, are solid options in my book also.

But... I'd say use the G34 for now, get the laser/light.
    Any reason u want .45 over 9mm... all of these things can/will penetrate multiple walls.
    Bullet construction is perhaps most important factor in ANY caliber

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Best bet might not be a pistol caliber if you are worried about over penetration..
    why not an AR-15 carbine length. Getcha light laser, throw an eotech on it. Ska-doosh your in the money.

and a wide range of cans for the little ones ear protection.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I also don't want to have an ar on my nightstand. Not set on a caliber I've got them all. I also shoot pistols every week, I get to the rifle range one every couple months. It comes down to training I'm better trained and faster with pistols. I've got a beautiful 11-87 tacd out which would be my long gun choice for hd, but again not something I want to hide by my bed.

I could easily put a laser and light on something I own but I want something new.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I unno then man. Just go to the gun store and buy the coolest thing. Sounds like you have the gear, you just need an excuse.
    if i was just looking to buy up a new piece itd probably be the wilson combat edc X9. Or a wilson combat 92.

i know they dont have rails. But if you are just looking for something new, why not get something wild?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    The PPQ has OEM 17 rd magazines available, a rail and no safety. The Five-seveN ships with 20 round mags but does have a safety by your trigger finger which is unlikely to be tripped while racking the slide (if that was your concern).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, I'm testing a 300BO AR pistol with a suppressor for HD. So far, so good. Close to 200 rounds in without a failure. With a bit more through it, I'll call it good. Subsonic 300BO should be good for indoors use without a huge amount of over penetration. Plus, there's 30 of them on tap, so it has the high capacity covered.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Right now, I'm testing a 300BO AR pistol with a suppressor for HD. So far, so good. Close to 200 rounds in without a failure. With a bit more through it, I'll call it good. Subsonic 300BO should be good for indoors use without a huge amount of over penetration. Plus, there's 30 of them on tap, so it has the high capacity covered.

This is my new thought on HD. I just don't know if I want to get into .300BO, if I don't reload them, they are pretty expensive. Also looking into a suppressed AR pistol, but .300BO can have a much shorter barrel.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What about a Glock 17? Same mags as the 34, new to you, and they're accurate as all get out! Of if you want a 45 a Glock 21, I know there were factory versions of the Glocks with threaded barrels a year or so ago?

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Possibly a CZ P09. It has the omega trigger so you can go safety or decocker. It comes with 19 round magazines which +2 extensions are available for 21. Has a rail for any accessories needed (light and or laser)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I strongly considered a 300bo pistol I have a lower, and have been planning on putting together a 300bo sbr. I am a 300 fanboy I love mine. I just don't think it's where I would go for bedside hd. I like the concealability of a pistol. Like a good mistress, easy to hide, easy to use, and always there when you call.

I could put the 11-87 in the closet, that would be on my way to pursue any intruder. I may keep that as an option, but I prefer to keep them locked up securely for those times when I'm not at the house.

Truth about this thread is that I have ~2500 in credit from a couple consigned sales at the lgs so I'm kind of looking for over the top dream rigs.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    76jdI9wh.jpg

End of the thread, CZ Shadow Target 2 holds 18+1 in the gun and the Target 2 features the CZ Custom Shops trigger package for a 6.5# double action with a 2.5# single action. Throw on a SureFire X400U with whatever color laser you want and you have the full $2,500 spent just about Load it with 147gr pills so it stays subsonic and throw a can on it and you have one mean HD gun. Because personally game guns make sick HD guns IMHO

Top Bottom