Smith & Wesson 38 special: model 10-8 or 64-6?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought ($275) a Old Smith & Wesson 38, model 10.8, Blue, 6 inch barrel, which is a great shooter at the range. I found a stainless steel, which I love, Smith and Wesson 4 inch barrel, model 64-4(5,6 or 7) for $400 and I wanted bad.
    On to go look at the gun Friday after school or Saturday and it's not too far from where I live which is convenient.
    Any input?
    Is it worth spending hundred and $125 more to get s newer, I assume, SS and lose the 2 inches in the barrel?
    Am I just wasting my money or will it be an easier resell later on?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have both, and I prefer the M64 because it seems to be a better shooter for me. That being said, you got a good deal on the M10. If you can afford to keep both, they are both solid guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I own a small variety of S&W revolvers and for me the barrel length would be the deciding factor between the two you are considering. I have both SS and blued and like them both equally. The SS revolver I have is a 617 and I wanted SS for my .22 since I don't clean it as often.

The one that feels the best in my hand is what I am going to own. I have one that is a 6 1/2" barrel and it is well balanced due to the larger frame size. My L frames are 4". They feel the same in my hand as my 6 1/2" since the L frame has the full lug barrel and the other has a larger frame without the full lug barrel.

I used to own a 6" L frame but it felt too front heavy for me. I prefer the 4" over it.

I don't have much experience with the guns you are looking at, but handle them and decide which one feels better. Unless it is going to primarily be a safe queen and you like the look of SS better.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's nice to have friends, even online, that know us. :laugh:

It is to get warnings.
    Sometimes guys with experience know to stay away from a certain gun or ammo, and I have listened.

I did figure that there would be nothing to say about the Smith 38s: just a matter what you want and I do want the SS.
    My wife is going to kill me, but I told her I'd sell the 10-8 right away, after going to the range to see if there is some reason I would want to keep the 10-8 instead of the 64-6
    Just like I was ready to sell the Walther PPS b/c of it "pinching" my middle figure b/c of the curve where the trigger guard connects to the grip, but I will try the "Ruby" method first before selling.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Why are you asking us? History says you are going to buy the m64.:laugh:

Yep! This is how collections get started! Buy the Model 64 and keep both for a hundred rounds.

They are both solid platforms. Going to come down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer blued for safe queens and SS for my shooters. Long barrel may be more accurate but, it all depends upon how it balances in your hand. Inherent accuracy differences from one to the other is going to be nominal from 4" to 6".

They are more money; but I've been a credit card swipe away from buying a 686 SSR. If you are going to "step up" from the Model 10 (which I think is an excellent firearm in all its iterations), maybe look at the 686/586 models. Sometime you'll get a Performance Center model in your hands and then it'll be all over! LOL!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is to get warnings.
    Sometimes guys with experience know to stay away from a certain gun or ammo, and I have listened.

It is good to read online, but keep in mind that we and other gun owner sites are a small group of a much larger demographic and most people tend to report problems. Not much excitement is saying everything is working fine. So, take comments with a grain of salt when you read about a dozen or so people complaining about something. There could be several million out there that aren't having any problems.

Something that I have done on occasion is to go directly to the establishment and ask them about the negative reviews they are getting. I can usually tell by their response if I can trust them or not. I learned a long time ago if you get people to talk enough, they will condemn themselves.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't know what your $$$ situation, but for me if you want it buy it. Yeah I have a few guns that I paid more than I wanted too, but I don't look at these guns now and think, geez I paid what for this one. I have also walked away from a few that were way overpriced.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm not aware of any issues that would preclude the M64. With regard to the 2" less barrel length, depends what you want it for.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is good to read online, but keep in mind that we and other gun owner sites are a small group of a much larger demographic and most people tend to report problems. Not much excitement is saying everything is working fine. So, take comments with a grain of salt when you read about a dozen or so people complaining about something. There could be several million out there that aren't having any problems.

Something that I have done on occasion is to go directly to the establishment and ask them about the negative reviews they are getting. I can usually tell by their response if I can trust them or not. I learned a long time ago if you get people to talk enough, they will condemn themselves.

1. I found that to be the case for the grief I caught about buying a Taurus 709 Slim 9m.
    2. But, when Guns and Ammo did a 1000 round test of all single-stack 9mms sold there were 3 that made it (Shield and Kahr made it to around 700 rounds).
    3. Glock 43, Walther PPS and unexpectedly from everyone: Taurus Slim 709.
    4. Interesting. I have both the 709 and the Ruger LC9, and will sell one, and the Ruger feels better, so it will be the Slim I'll sell.
    5. I have sold $1300 of guns (5) that I have bought with $500 (2 other guns) more to sell soon (a 9mm and a 38).
    6. I won't say what I've spent buying the 12 I've bought, although I'm sure it would be small potatoes on this site, but it all started out with wanting a 38 CC, 22 for the range, and a 9mm for a little larger than my 380 Mustang for CC. I'm not in the big leagues though, I always spend $300 or under for a gun (except my Ruger GP100 .22 SS, new for $600). Even my beloved S/W 642 pocket 38 Airweight I picked up from Cabela b/c of a tip here for a really special price of $300 new.
    7. Got a little carried away, but I'm having so much fun.
    8. I told the wife I could sell all of them (almost) to buy her kitchen cabinets, then I'd just start over. :laugh: More fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm not aware of any issues that would preclude the M64. With regard to the 2" less barrel length, depends what you want it for.

1. Just the range, so I won't fire my new Airweight too much.
    2. And, if it isn't as accurate as the 6 inch, I can just bring the target closer: problem solved. :laugh:
    3. If there is too much compromise in shooting, I'll just sell it and keep my old 10-8 model that was a pleasure to shoot last Sunday at the range.
    4. Although, a 4 inch might be carriable with the right clothes in the winter, but the overall length is 9 inches instead of the pocket carries of 5-6 inch that I'm used to.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not familiar with the 1000 round test on single stack 9's but my Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm will and has easily fired 1000 rounds without a hiccup. Heck, I went over 500 rounds without cleaning it just to see if I could induce a malfunction. I finally got tired of getting black "ooze" all over and cleaned it.:)

I am curious how you like your 642. I am thinking of selling my Shield and buying a 642 for my carry gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't know what your $$$ situation, but for me if you want it buy it. Yeah I have a few guns that I paid more than I wanted too, but I don't look at these guns now and think, geez I paid what for this one. I have also walked away from a few that were way overpriced.

1. Money is always important, I can always sell off nearly everything if I need to but I have a little extra right now that I can play with, especially for a non-depreciating item like a used gun.
    2. We were looking to buy a house away from NE and buy closer to our new church (The Creek) and move SE, and I was going to need all my money, but it looks like we'll put that off till retirement (2-6 yrs.).
    3. I need to completely remodel the entire kitchen if we are going to stay for awhile, so that will take up all my money for hobbies, like this. But not today! :laugh:
    4. Getting ready to leave work and buy 4000 rounds of .22LR ($235) for CCI and some Federal bulk. This is off the guy I bought the Perfecta 9mm from Saturday.
    He sold his .22 rifle and is downsizing b/c he needs to buy a 'fridge. I might not even keep all my 9mm (3000 rounds, now), depends on what happens with my 9mms. I did get carried away after going to the range and having to buy it there (30 cents each).
    5. Tomorrow: the SS 38 64-6 S/W after work (my poor wife) :dunno:

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Both guns will shoot better than YOU . If you practice with them. In my younger years with better eye sight i was able to hit a paper plate at 50 yards. with a chief special 2" snub fairly consistently.
    You my friend must decide what you like and feels good in your hand before you buy.Asking what model is best is like asking someone else to pick out a WIFE for you. What is good for 1 is not good for another . Chose wisely my friend and learn from your mistakes.
    MOST cases you don't pay too much ,you just buy too soon a good quality gun will increase in value.\Except plastic guns

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Both guns will shoot better than YOU . If you practice with them. In my younger years with better eye sight i was able to hit a paper plate at 50 yards. with a chief special 2" snub fairly consistently.

Bemike and I were talking the other day about how inherently accurate J frames are capable of being...We both have got Model 60-10's and it is amazing what that little J frame will do if you keep a steady eye and aim....

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    1. Money is always important, I can always sell off nearly everything if I need to but I have a little extra right now that I can play with, especially for a non-depreciating item like a used gun.
    2. We were looking to buy a house away from NE and buy closer to our new church (The Creek) and move SE, and I was going to need all my money, but it looks like we'll put that off till retirement (2-6 yrs.).
    3. I need to completely remodel the entire kitchen if we are going to stay for awile, so that will take up all my money for hobbies, like this. But not today! :laugh:
    4. Getting ready to leave work and buy 4000 rounds of .22LR ($235) for CCI and some Federal bulk. This is off the guy I bought the Perfecta 9mm from Saturday.
    He sold his .22 rifle and is downsizing b/c he needs to buy a 'fridge. I might not even keep all my 9mm (3000 rounds, now), depends on what happens with my 9mms. I did get carried away after going to the range and having to buy it there (30 cents each).
    5. Tomorrow: the SS 38 64-6 S/W after work (my poor wife) :dunno:
    So let me give you another reason to get more guns and ammo, check out Friday Night Steel at MCFG MCFG Indy Range - Friday Night Steel
    Good place to run you toys. We have match the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You my friend must decide what you like and feels good in your hand before you buy.Asking what model is best is like asking someone else to pick out a WIFE for you. What is good for 1 is not good for another . Chose wisely my friend and learn from your mistakes.
    MOST cases you don't pay too much ,you just buy too soon a good quality gun will increase in value.\Except plastic guns

1. So true about either gun shooting better than what I can do with them.
    2. Deciding what feels good in my hand before buying is elusive. I have rented the same guns twice and it wasn't until the 2nd time that I was able to be more definitive about my preference of one over another.
    3. That's the advantage of buying "too soon," it gives me a chance to look a gun over at my leisure.
    4. I have learned much by asking which model is best. There are certain guns I simply do not have an open mind about b/c of what I have read about a gun from multiple sources.
    5. As far as the wife goes, I would have never dated my wife had it not been for advice from others. I even broke up with her for a year in college before I wised up. Surprising what a year will do between 19 and 20 will do for getting smarter about a woman for life. :laugh: The running joke in our marriage is that I apologize at least weekly for breaking up with her: the singularly most stupid choice of "models" that I ever made.
    6. I certainly am learning from my mistakes.
    7. Since I enjoy the "hunt" so much, as long as I have the time and do not have other $$ obligations, I will try out other guns from time to time after I trim down my stock that I have now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm not familiar with the 1000 round test on single stack 9's but my Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm will and has easily fired 1000 rounds without a hiccup. Heck, I went over 500 rounds without cleaning it just to see if I could induce a malfunction. I finally got tired of getting black "ooze" all over and cleaned it.:)

I am curious how you like your 642. I am thinking of selling my Shield and buying a 642 for my carry gun.

1. Google: Guns and Ammo 1000 test single-stack 9mm
    2. July 27, 2015

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom