• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am surprised on how difficult it was at the range yesterday shooting my S/W 642 Airweight 38 1.78 barrel length revolver.
    I have shot it one other time at the range when I first got it, but it seemed so much harder this time.
    I'm sure shooting S/W 38 large frames (10-8 and 64-7) has spoiled me, but it was difficult.
    I brought in the normal 20 feet that I use with my small 9s to only 10-15 feet (I'm so ashamed) to reduce my "pattern."
    I did not enjoy it and I ended up doing a rapid fire "point and shoot" at 10 feet to make sure it would be OK in a panic situation.
    This is why I bought the larger frame 38 revolvers, for pure range fun.

I also bought a Walther PPS for use on the range, b/c I'll rarely carry it, but it is more functional a the range for me since it is bigger than my Ruger LC9 and Taurus 709 Slim (which I intend to sell one or both of them).
    I will buy a Shield whenever I can get one for what people bought them for new with the rebate: $225-$250, and not a penny more.
    Then I will sell the Walther PPS.
    Unless I decide to keep the Walther.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Snub nose revolvers have a U shaped learning curve.

You are fine with them at first. Then with training and time other guns will be shot better and the sub nose will seem to be sub par. Then something surprising happens. You start shooting the sub nose very well. Drawing seems easier with the sub. Groups seem to become much smaller engaging multi targets seamless.

Have many guns and the EDC since the 1980's is still a two inch model 66. Sure I sometimes carry others but 99 precent it is the 66.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    J-frames take more practice, but once you're good with them they are a very viable tool. If you've not had formal training, I'd suggest the "Snubbie class" at Sand Burr Gun Ranch. Sand Burr Gun Ranch

It takes a different grip than a semi-auto, and you need to have a better grasp of fundamentals because errors are multiplied, but there is nothing inherently inaccurate about the j-frame.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I wonder why snubbies are not nearly as cool as they were once upon a time? An experts weapon with many fewer experts available these days???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder why snubbies are not nearly as cool as they were once upon a time? An experts weapon with many fewer experts available these days???

Gun Genius, which tracks gun sales via gunbroker data, reports the Kimber K6S and Colt Cobra are the two best selling revolvers for last month, so I'm not sure I buy the premise that they aren't "cool". I bet if all the various types of j-frames were counted as one model, they'd be pretty high up on the total handgun sales, as well.

http://www.gungenius.com/top-selling

But we do live in a golden age of choice, and low cost polymer guns have changed a lot of "what's cool" ideas. You don't see 1911s or metal Sigs or Berettas on the top sales lists any longer, either. Small inexpensive single stacks are the popular girls at the dance these days. The Ruger LCP and S&W Shield are compelling options for small guns, and along with the XD-S are typically in the top 5. I still think quite highly of the Shield as an option for those not willing or able to carry a duty sized gun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Gun Genius, which tracks gun sales via gunbroker data, reports the Kimber K6S and Colt Cobra are the two best selling revolvers for last month, so I'm not sure I buy the premise that they aren't "cool". I bet if all the various types of j-frames were counted as one model, they'd be pretty high up on the total handgun sales, as well.

http://www.gungenius.com/top-selling

But we do live in a golden age of choice, and low cost polymer guns have changed a lot of "what's cool" ideas. You don't see 1911s or metal Sigs or Berettas on the top sales lists any longer, either. Small inexpensive single stacks are the popular girls at the dance these days. The Ruger LCP and S&W Shield are compelling options for small guns, and along with the XD-S are typically in the top 5. I still think quite highly of the Shield as an option for those not willing or able to carry a duty sized gun.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Even in this era of fake news.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Installed the Apex trigger in my 642 and had a guy do a little polishing...smooooth. I can actually stage it. Made a world of difference.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If Jerry says it; it IS right...

MICULEK2

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Now we talked about grip technique of the full size revolvers. You noticed the stocks are rather large. We’re going over to one that is totally different. This is a j-frame. The j-frame revolver is different because of the size limitations of the stock. So what we do to correct that is we’re going to change the placement of the thumb on the non-firing hand. We’re going to come up and grab the backstrap of the firing hand. Notice that these two fingers are pinching the revolver down into the grip of the firing hand and it gives a lot better consistency from shot-to-shot this way. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif]
    Jerry2-6.gif
    [/FONT]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I never enjoyed shooting my S&W my 37 air weight back in the day, it carried do well but shooting it anytime sucked.
    I gave one daughter a man 36 and one a my 60, my son got my Marion County Sheriffs Dpt roll marked Mdl 66.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I am surprised on how difficult it was at the range yesterday shooting my S/W 642 Airweight 38 1.78 barrel length revolver.
    I have shot it one other time at the range when I first got it, but it seemed so much harder this time.
    I'm sure shooting S/W 38 large frames (10-8 and 64-7) has spoiled me, but it was difficult.
    I brought in the normal 20 feet that I use with my small 9s to only 10-15 feet (I'm so ashamed) to reduce my "pattern."
    I did not enjoy it and I ended up doing a rapid fire "point and shoot" at 10 feet to make sure it would be OK in a panic situation.
    This is why I bought the larger frame 38 revolvers, for pure range fun.

I know how you feel. I've had to move the target closer at indoor ranges, too. Otherwise, it can get a bit frustrating. I don't always have that option (the closest range to me is outdoor and only has a 25 yd range for pistols). So, I end up shooting my 4" more on those days.

The grip that rvb and mcapo talked about helps, and it's the way that I was shown how to shoot a revolver in my intro firearms course.

I also have noticed the "U shaped" learning curve that jmarriott shared. I got to the point that I could hit the 25 yd target 80-90% of the time with my snubbie. Then, after shooting at more indoor ranges at lower distances and shooting more semiautos, I've noticed a sharp decrease in my accuracy at 25 yds now.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    I started shooting snubbies 30+ years ago. I started with Colt Detective Specials which are basicly 6 shot K frames with a small grip. I acclimated quickly and when I got a S&W Model 60, I had a LOT of learnin' to do. With the experience with the Colt Dick, it came quickly, but with friends that didn't have that experience, it was time consuming.

The short sighting length and the lighter weight make adjustments much more finite. You must learn to get a good site picture before pulling the trigger. The ballistics from a 1-7/8" or 2" barrel are also different.

I always had some trigger work done, not necessarily reducing trigger pull, but to get a nice crisp trigger. I got to the point where I could hit 4 out of 5 at the 100 yard gongs at MCF&G! with an Airweight!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I started shooting snubbies 30+ years ago. I started with Colt Detective Specials which are basicly 6 shot K frames with a small grip. I acclimated quickly and when I got a S&W Model 60, I had a LOT of learnin' to do. With the experience with the Colt Dick, it came quickly, but with friends that didn't have that experience, it was time consuming.

The short sighting length and the lighter weight make adjustments much more finite. You must learn to get a good site picture before pulling the trigger. The ballistics from a 1-7/8" or 2" barrel are also different.

I always had some trigger work done, not necessarily reducing trigger pull, but to get a nice crisp trigger. I got to the point where I could hit 4 out of 5 at the 100 yard gongs at MCF&G! with an Airweight!

Not to get off topic or be too immature, but this sounds like you spent ENTIRELY too much time on a horse ranch...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Snubbies are for social work and, though you should practice with what you carry, they are not target guns. They used to be called "belly-guns" for obvious reasons. We have a model 60 and it is not fun to shoot. Never gets shot, never gets carried. It would be gone if it didn't have the wife's initials and badge number engraved on it. I had another S&W snubbie a long time ago with a square butt and it was a whole different animal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Snubbies are for social work and, though you should practice with what you carry, they are not target guns. They used to be called "belly-guns" for obvious reasons. We have a model 60 and it is not fun to shoot. Never gets shot, never gets carried. It would be gone if it didn't have the wife's initials and badge number engraved on it. I had another S&W snubbie a long time ago with a square butt and it was a whole different animal.

My LCR with .38 wadcutters is fun to shoot. With full house .357...not so much.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Larger grips are available to fit J frames , but then you lose some concealment ,but gain control.
    Square target grips are an option ,so is a Tyler grip adapter. In the world of small guns you have to give to gain the ability to conceal .BUT i have no trouble with a 1911 to carry

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If Jerry says it; it IS right...

MICULEK2

[SIZE=-1]Now we talked about grip technique of the full size revolvers. You noticed the stocks are rather large. We’re going over to one that is totally different. This is a j-frame. The j-frame revolver is different because of the size limitations of the stock. So what we do to correct that is we’re going to change the placement of the thumb on the non-firing hand. We’re going to come up and grab the backstrap of the firing hand. Notice that these two fingers are pinching the revolver down into the grip of the firing hand and it gives a lot better consistency from shot-to-shot this way. [/SIZE]

Jerry2-6.gif

1. Thanks! Appreciate the visual: looks very close to what I do but I'll a strap my left thumb over my right thumb.

Top Bottom