• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to be in the market for an upgrade from my RIA 2011 that sees steel challenge and uspsa work. I'm actually pretty happy with that gun but have it in my mind to buy myself a premium pistol as a reward for finishing the project I'm working on.
    My first thought is an STI Apeiro ($2800) or possibly an Edge ($2000). I'm leaning toward the Apeiro because I like the concept of the sight tracker barrel.
    My question is what price point would I be around to have a similar gun built? I'd like a full dust cover and slab side slide but nothing else too 'exotic' (other than the sight tracker)
    What are the pros and cons of either custom or premium?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    PM AllenM with what you would like done. He has built numerous 2011s and can give you a budget number. Rather than buy a production piece and have to tweak it to get it the way you want, you might be better off just building what you want from the start.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My 2011 experience is pretty limited...
    But my factory 38super STI Trubor has been phenomenally reliable. Even using STI tubes for the mags.

Ive gotten back into shooting it recently after something like 8 years away and it had a couple of malfunctions at the last club match, which shocked me, but I'm guessing it needs some new springs throughout. Gun has about 60k on it, and who knows how many are on this set of springs.... in addition to sitting for a few years.

Do you have experience working on 1911s? If you feel comfortable making minor tweeks/tuning ejectors/extractors, mags, etc, you might do ok fixing any minor issues that come out of a factory gun and getting it and your ammo to run together. On the other hand, if you aren't comfortable doing that stuff, having a smith (especially a local one) that you can have help you out might be invaluable.

There're a couple guys in/around the state in the uspsa scene building good guns. Maybe you could even get a test drive, etc. I don't know how their prices would compare to a factory gun, you'd have to discuss that w/ them...

-rvb

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    PM AllenM with what you would like done. He has built numerous 2011s and can give you a budget number. Rather than buy a production piece and have to tweak it to get it the way you want, you might be better off just building what you want from the start.

There are a lot of ways you can go but..... latest custom 10mm I just finished

20170827_165406 by Allen Moore, on Flickr

At least give this man a call. I've shot some of his customs. Fantastic. His hybrid barrel 10mm compact 1911 is awesome.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I went the new STI Edge route and wonder if I'd been better using Allen or another custom.
    I didn't like the grip or magwell. I think maybe I'd been better waiting a bit and going full custom that fits my needs better.
    My main issue is my small hands. I will say the Edge is really nice.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I went the new STI Edge route and wonder if I'd been better using Allen or another custom.
    I didn't like the grip or magwell. I think maybe I'd been better waiting a bit and going full custom that fits my needs better.
    My main issue is my small hands. I will say the Edge is really nice.

Just curious, did you have 2011 racegun experience to say what type of grip and magwell you would have preferred from the start? or was it all new to you?

if you know what parts work best for you and figure you'll change them out on a factory gun, them paying more for custom and "right" from the start can pay off. If it's all a learning experience, then you'll be part swapping and experimenting regardless. If you can tell a smith "I like brand x thumb safeties, and brand y grip safeties, and a brand z magwell, oh, and thin the grips here and here" then custom may be for you. If you don't know what to tell the smith, then you'll probably get what they like to build/shoot with. maybe you'd like it better than a stock gun, maybe not...

2c

-rvb

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No action in this thread for a few days so I didn't check it and then all the sudden....:)
    Honestly, I know the smart money (as far as Uspsa goes) is to keep my Rock Island, buy more reloading supplies and take a couple classes but what fun is that? Actually a bunch of ammo and a class would be fun but it would be just as much fun with a new pistol.

I've been poking around on the Brian Enos forum trying to distill some insight on the direction guys went but that usually turns out to be Chevy vs Ford and everyone made a better choice with their______ instead of _____.
    With the exception of messing with the sear I'm comfortable with taking down a 1911 and doing minor fitting/polishing, hell I bought an RIA and a Lee progressive press I had to expect some tuning :)

I realize I asked something of and open ended question and probably don't know enough of what I want (other than mentioned in my first post) to even ask the right questions of a builder.
    Maybe a better question would be dollar for dollar what do you guys think is the best value?

I figured I would be pointed in AllenM's direction and the pictures of his work that I've seen is great reason for it.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    Just curious, did you have 2011 racegun experience to say what type of grip and magwell you would have preferred from the start? or was it all new to you?

if you know what parts work best for you and figure you'll change them out on a factory gun, them paying more for custom and "right" from the start can pay off. If it's all a learning experience, then you'll be part swapping and experimenting regardless. If you can tell a smith "I like brand x thumb safeties, and brand y grip safeties, and a brand z magwell, oh, and thin the grips here and here" then custom may be for you. If you don't know what to tell the smith, then you'll probably get what they like to build/shoot with. maybe you'd like it better than a stock gun, maybe not...

2c

-rvb

i started with a Glock 34 and was used to shooting quality triggers and just did not like using it so I took the plunge and bought the STI Edge. I then struggle with grip so I had Everglades reduce and stripple my grip. That help some then I purchased a larger magwell to help push my hand up into the grip.

I think I'd be better off finding a smith I could have look at different setups and had one built to my needs.

i think my only issue now is with a good grip on my pistol with my strong hand I cannot put thumb on top of the safety?

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a used Edge locally. It's got some finish wear but it feels slick as frozen snot. I can see getting a custom build in the future but it will definitely see a high round count from me :)

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    .40 cal. She not the prettiest girl at the dance but they are seldom the most fun :)
    The slide was tri topped and cut by Freedom Gunworks, SVI trigger and EWG ignition system.
    I can't quite put my finger on how it's better than my RIA but a lot of it feels 'right'
    imagejpeg

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys!
    I can see either a Cerakote or Ionbond refinish in the future.
    Really the slide fit and lockup between the RIA and STI feel similar. The shape of the grip and the long trigger on the STI fit me better though. I imagine the Rock Island will still see action but probably quite a bit less once I get off the road and start pressing my own .40 loads

Top Bottom