• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since a Shield 9mm can be bought new with rebate from $225-$275 last summer and recently at Cabela it was $329 for a few minutes, ha!, b/c when others checked on the heads-up it was up to $349 and now $369 (with some goodies offered: 2 mags, ammo, and reloader) and people selling them are wanting more than those prices, so I have refused to buy one; I have been thinking about just buying one new instead of used like I prefer to do.
    (Getting my S/W 642 new at Cabela for $300 +tax spoiled me).

To complicate things, in looking a the difference between the 9mm and 45 mm Shield, on paper there was very little.
    From a 6.1 to a 6.5 in length and 19 oz. to 20.5.
    For the same money, I'm wondering if I should step up to the .45 instead of a 9 mm so as to have a different caliber, since I have 3 9mms (going to sell 1 or 2, depending).
    It does give one pause.
    If it is impossible to pocket carry both of them that is not an issue, I would just get the 45 to have a different caliber, but if the 9mm Shield can be pocket carried but not the 45 Shield, that would make a difference since I could simply sell one of the other 9mm to help pay for it.

I originally thought I'd keep 1 9mm for small pocket carry and have a larger 9 that would be better for the range but not pocket carry, but could carry on the few occasions of non-pocket carry.

After I go to the range and rent both, that will help, but my range time is being curtailed on weekends b/c of getting the house ready to sell. :laugh:

Any advice between the 2 is welcomed.
    Perhaps I should just stick with my Walther PPS, but the trigger guard was was biting into my middle finger after a box of shells and I loved the Shield 9 I rented but now I'm wondering whether to get a 45.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Loaded 9mm Shield is going to about 24 ounces. Loaded 45 should push 30 ounces?

I'm a 45 fan but for pocket carry its a Sig P938 at about 18 ounces loaded. The Sig is more than you like to spend but it is money well spent. Except for having to lock tite the two piece guide rod; its been flawless and it gets regular use.

Just for full disclosure - I have the PC 9m Shield and its great. Will add a PC 45 Shield sometime after the first of the year if the Shield 2.0 doesn't come out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carry a 9mm Shield as a pocket gun when I can't carry my full sized handgun (Sig P229 .357 Sig).

The Shield with the 7 round magazine is very usable as a pocket pistol.

I would choose it over the .45acp Shield.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    My carry is the 40cal Shield. I went in the middle. I like the ballistics of a 40 more then I do with a 9mm. I have shot all three 9mm, 40, and 45 and still like the 40 for some weird reason. With that if it came down to 9mm or 45.... I would lean more towards the 45. Now if you already own a bunch of pistols that take 9mm then go 9mm. Less different ammo to buy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great input.
    When I first was looking at 9mm I thought the Shield was too big for pocket carry, good to know that someone says it is possible.
    Interesting that the 9mm is getting more votes than the 45mm.
    I honestly don't know what to think about that.
    Ever since I got advice about the 45 being more doable than the 40 it got my attention.
    It seems the longer I'm in this the more I get away from my original design:
    1 small 9mm to carry
    2 decent 22 caliber for the range

That led to:
    "expensive" Ruger GP100 22
    (sold S/W Victory 22 semi)
    S/W 642 38
    (sold Charter Arms 38)
    Ruger LC9
    (sold Sig Sauer 290RS)
    Taurus 709 Slim
    Walther PPS M-2 LE
    S/W 64-7 38
    (sold S/W 10-8 38)
    Taurus 357 (bought and sold)

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Don't worry about a 22 for the range. You should practice with what you carry. I carry glocks, I wouldn't buy a glock in a 22.

With the right belt and holster carrying any size gun is easy and even concealing it well

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't worry about a 22 for the range. You should practice with what you carry. I carry glocks, I wouldn't buy a glock in a 22.

With the right belt and holster carrying any size gun is easy and even concealing it well

e1. Blasphemy! Ben shooting 22 since I was 20 (640 yrs. old now :laugh:).
    2. As Winston Churchill said 7 times in a speech: Never, never, never..........quit!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm with BBI and the Lovemachine on the pocket carry. For me anyway unless I put it in a coat pocket, it isn't fitting in the pockets on my clothing. I didn't even like it IWB. I really like it OWB and since I virtually always have my shirts untucked, it conceals well.

As far as the .45 chambering I have heard people say it's not that bad recoil wise. I'm from Missouri on that. It is fine in nine and I can shoot it quite a bit at the range without feeling like my hand is getting a pounding.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    When I have to I pocket carry the shield 9mm with no issues what so ever. I didnt even look at the 45 option when I bought the 9mm. I just assumed the 45 didnt have the mag capacity I wanted. My EDC is a 45 (Glock 30). Once I learned the 45 had the same capacity as the 9mm I felt like a moron, and knew I screwed up.

I only carry that gun a few times a year, so Im not going to sell it used, and buy the 45 and take a big hit, but it is an issue that I wish I had solved from the beginning. My BIL just got the 45, and I shot it a little which reminded me Im a moron.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    buddy of mine has the 45 shield which got me interested in one. I went to buy one but found too good of a deal to pass up on a 9mm so I ended up with the 9mm. My primary EDC is a Glock 19 thought so I guess keeping all 1 caliber between carry guns makes sense. Some would probably say I should have went with the glock 43 of glock 26 to go with the 19. Ive had both, sold both, just like the shield better for subcompact discreet carry.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When I have to I pocket carry the shield 9mm with no issues what so ever. I didnt even look at the 45 option when I bought the 9mm. I just assumed the 45 didnt have the mag capacity I wanted. My EDC is a 45 (Glock 30). Once I learned the 45 had the same capacity as the 9mm I felt like a moron, and knew I screwed up.

I only carry that gun a few times a year, so Im not going to sell it used, and buy the 45 and take a big hit, but it is an issue that I wish I had solved from the beginning. My BIL just got the 45, and I shot it a little which reminded me Im a moron.

1. Love the confession stories. :laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recently got the 45 Shield but life has gotten in the way and I haven't shot it yet. I was honestly leaning toward the 9mm, but then I shot a buddy's 40 cal. Normally I don't care for .40, but out of his Shield, I honestly thought it was a 9mm (I didn't know at first and had assumed it was a 9). The ergonomics of the Shield made the 40 very comfortable and manageable, but since I already have both 9mm and 45 caliber pistols, I went with the 45 cause... well it's a 45. :): Hopefully it will be as comfortable to shoot as I anticipate it being.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have both. The .45 recoil is a bit more... noticeable. It is manageable. It isn't painful. But if you put 100 rounds through it, you would know it.

1. Good specifics!
    2. Based on my reading here, I'm going to stick with the 9mm.
    3. I got 4 possible choices right now and plan to buy the one here in classifieds this evening if we connect unless the person with all the accessories gets back with me and I'll have to think that through.
    4. I will still try a 45 out at the range to see whether I fall in love or whether it will be just a fling.
    5. I know months ago I held an HK at the range and I instantly fell in love.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom