• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am interested in an ankle holster.
    I didn't have much success when I was wanting to buy a concealable under-the-belt holster that fit in the front of your pants.
    I couldn't get info about which size holster that would hold the S/W 642 and a small 9mm since you have to order then specifically by gun.

When I bought my DeSanti Superfly sticky pocket holster, I went to go to a shop that caters to law enforcement and they had enough sizes that I could test out which holster would fit my 642, Ruger LC9 and whatever other 9mm I had at the time that I don't have anymore, and it didn't matter what the holster said it was for.
    I found out it was mostly about trigger guard placement.
    I guess I should go back to the same place:
    Stephen Jenkins; 6680 E 21st St.

Any advice about how to know which holster brand and which would hold both the 642 and small 9mm?

I used to have an ankle holster back in the early 90s for my 1st 38 that I owned (wish I could remember the brand, like I wish had kept my Beretta 25).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wear a Galco Ankle Glove for my J frame. It holds it very secure for me.

Hey, Expat, you are one of the very few I actually recognize their moniker!
    It's the pic!

Can you venture a guess on whether the ankle holster is a different animal than a pocket holster in that there can be variance in a pocket holster with no harm done but in an ankle holster is has to be "dead-on" snug for fitment for all the obvious reasons.

Or, it is possible that I can find one that would work with both J frame and small 9mm?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased this one for $9.95 (shipping and handling charges). It works great. Surprising what you can get for $10.

https://proudrightwinger.com/products/copy-of-free-ankle-holster-concealed-padded

I use it for a S&W 640-1 (all metal so it is heavier than the 642) and the Colt Mustang (all metal). Again, it works. Does everything I want it to do, and in relative comfort. It also fits my single stack 9mm.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There are more expensive options like the Galco Angle Glove and the Alessi, and they are fine holsters.

However, if you're just looking to "try out" ankle carry. A less expensive, yet decent, option is the DeSantis Apache. It's a good value, imo, and if you decide you don't like Ankle carry, it's a less expensive education. If you like it, you can always upgrade later on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Hey, Expat, you are one of the very few I actually recognize their moniker!
    It's the pic!

Can you venture a guess on whether the ankle holster is a different animal than a pocket holster in that there can be variance in a pocket holster with no harm done but in an ankle holster is has to be "dead-on" snug for fitment for all the obvious reasons.

Or, it is possible that I can find one that would work with both J frame and small 9mm?
    The Ankle Glove is fitted for a particular gun. So it would not do what you are looking for.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I use an Uncle Mikes Sidekick size 0, product 88201. I have used this holster for my Kahr CM9 and my J frame for the last 2 years daily and it has held up well.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I use a Blackhawk Size 0 for an LCR. It will also works for an LCP by adjusting the retention strap.
    I would contact the company for their recommendation of size. Good luck in our search

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I purchased this one for $9.95 (shipping and handling charges). It works great. Surprising what you can get for $10.

https://proudrightwinger.com/products/copy-of-free-ankle-holster-concealed-padded

I use it for a S&W 640-1 (all metal so it is heavier than the 642) and the Colt Mustang (all metal). Again, it works. Does everything I want it to do, and in relative comfort. It also fits my single stack 9mm.

1. Click, click, click: paid for with Pay Pal and shipped, too easy so while I'm researching to death other options, I'll have this one to check out for awhile.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There are more expensive options like the Galco Angle Glove and the Alessi, and they are fine holsters.

However, if you're just looking to "try out" ankle carry. A less expensive, yet decent, option is the DeSantis Apache. It's a good value, imo, and if you decide you don't like Ankle carry, it's a less expensive education. If you like it, you can always upgrade later on.

1. Since I like my pocket DeSantis I'll have to check it out their DeSantis ankle holster at Stephen Jenkins on 6680 E 21st St.
    2. Since it is a law enforcement place, they will have a ton of ankle holsters to choose from.
    3. I already called them, so after school some time this week I'll take my 642 and my Ruger and my Walther and see what I can come up with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I finally l made it over to Steven R. Jenkins, Inc on 6680 E 21st St that caters to law enforcement to look/buy an ankle holster. It is where I bought my pocket holster with the flap to cover the outline of the handle also when in your pocket.
    2. DaSantis had a $54 on that would work for both my Smith 642 J frame and Shield 9mm.
    3. Then, I saw an Uncle Mile's Tactical one for $30 that didn't have the nice pad that DeSantis had, but I won't be wearing it much, so opted for cheaper.
    4. Now, I bought the $10 online one and if it does fine for what I need, I can take this one back, so no harm done.
    5. I have it on now around the house and it is fine, I'm going to go check out my Shield 9mm, but I already checked it out at the shop, and this holster was made for the M&P Shield, Walther PPS 9mm and PK 380, and some Glocks and more.
    6. More importantly, it fit my revolver, which is my carry gun, but I wanted the option for the 9mm, also.
    7. The model made for small revolvers seemed a little tight for the Shield 9, so I got the one for Shield 9 since the 642 fit great.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been wearing my Uncle Mike's Tactical ankle holster and really like it.
    I have used it with a Beretta 25 and my Smith 642 revolver.
    I have not used it with my 9mm Shield yet, and don't think I've even thought about using it for my Shield 45, since I don't plan to keep it, but plenty of time to play with it first.

Top Bottom