• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Posted in the general recall thread, but wanted to give it more visibility.

From Century Arms:

Century Arms, North America’s premier AK manufacturer, announced today the Canik Product Safety Warning and Severe Duty Upgrade Notice. This notice applies to Canik’s 9x19 mm pistols: TP9SA, TP9SF, TP9SFx, TP9SF Elite, TP9SF Elite-S. Canik’s other products are not subject to this notice. All Canik pistols comply with and exceed current industry and military abusive handling standards. There are no safety concerns with the pistols when used under ordinary conditions.
    Canik is committed to continuously improving its product’s performance. Evaluations and tests have shown that repeated abusive dropping of pistols may result in damage to safety features and unintentional discharge.
    DANGER: IF ANY FIREARM IS DROPPED INTERNAL PARTS MAY HAVE BEEN DEFORMED, DAMAGED OR DISABLED. The product must be inspected by a qualified gunsmith or returned for inspection after any significant impact.
    WARNING: REPEATED IMPACTS TO YOUR PISTOL TO TEST ITS SAFETY FUNCTIONS WILL DAMAGE INTERNAL PARTS, AND VOID ITS WARRANTY. Firearm abusive handling tests can be dangerous and should only be conducted by qualified individuals in controlled environments with proper safety precautions in place. Canik does not recommend that any customer conduct drop tests or other endurance tests before or after this Severe Duty Upgrade.
    WARNING: CONSUMERS SHOULD ONLY USE CANIK PARTS IN OUR PISTOLS. AFTERMARKET PARTS COULD DECREASE OR DISABLE SAFETY FEATURES OF YOUR CANIK PISTOL.
    Canik is committed to manufacturing safe, reliable, innovative and affordable firearms. We are offering a voluntary upgrade to the trigger safety spring and firing pin block spring on the Canik models noted above. This is to further increase the safety of Canik pistols for enhanced drop discharge prevention in heavy/severe duty conditions that are beyond industry standards. The Severe Duty Upgrade does not alter any feature or design of the pistols. Canik will provide all parts and workmanship at no charge, but customers will be responsible for shipping costs.
    Steps for upgrading your pistol? Our goal is to have the Severe Duty Upgrade process in place by Friday, September 8, 2017. After this date, please visit www.CanikUSA.com for complete instructions on how to receive your Severe Duty Upgrade.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Interesting. . So, is there an actual problem, ir is this just "hey, if you beat up our pistols, they might eventually mess up" ??

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting. . So, is there an actual problem, ir is this just "hey, if you beat up our pistols, they might eventually mess up" ??

Sounds like an actual problem. I don't own one of those models but thought I'd pass it along. I've got a Stingray (CZ clone) and it's not on the recall list.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like an actual problem. I don't own one of those models but thought I'd pass it along. I've got a Stingray (CZ clone) and it's not on the recall list.

I don't see the problem if you're not TRYING to induce a discharge.
    There are no safety concerns with the pistols when used under ordinary conditions.
    I have an Elte and an SFX and I'm not sending either back for upgrades. It sounds like someone dropped the gun enough times to damage it, probably making a Youtube gotcha video. There's a lot of strong feelings about Caniks due to the Turkish origin and probably to a lesser extent because they are selling well and increasing market share.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    So after pistol-whipping an intruder you may want to have it checked out, or would this also be considered ordinary conditions?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So after pistol-whipping an intruder you may want to have it checked out, or would this also be considered ordinary conditions?

If I have an intruder I'll be sure to use a 1911. No, I doubt Canik considers pistol whipping to be ordinary conditions.
    I don't think the advisory notice (it is not a recall) is concerned with failure due to pistol whipping. This is to further increase the safety of Canik pistols for enhanced drop discharge prevention in heavy/severe duty conditions that are beyond industry standards.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I'm not sure that you can pistol-whip someone with a poly gun. Pistol-slap maybe, but it takes more steel than a poly gun has to pistol-whip somebody.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Replacing the firing pin block spring with a heavier spring sounds like ruining that beautiful trigger.
    We are offering a voluntary upgrade to the trigger safety spring and firing pin block spring on the Canik models noted above.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Replacing the firing pin block spring with a heavier spring sounds like ruining that beautiful trigger.
    We are offering a voluntary upgrade to the trigger safety spring and firing pin block spring on the Canik models noted above.

Yep, exactly. The trigger is amazing and I don't want anything messing that up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If I have an intruder I'll be sure to use a 1911. No, I doubt Canik considers pistol whipping to be ordinary conditions.
    I don't think the advisory notice (it is not a recall) is concerned with failure due to pistol whipping. This is to further increase the safety of Canik pistols for enhanced drop discharge prevention in heavy/severe duty conditions that are beyond industry standards.

Sorry about that. You are correct, it is not a recall. I'll note that in my other post in the general recall thread.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If anyone decided to send theirs in, please post the results. I bought one last year, and I've only ever shot it once. It was OK, worth keeping but not my favorite shooter.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I guess buying a Canik is easier than just sending the money to Hamas. At least you get a pistol with a decent trigger out of the deal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess buying a Canik is easier than just sending the money to Hamas. At least you get a pistol with a decent trigger out of the deal.

whut.jpg

So, how do you like your all electric car? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not really that difficult. Caniks are made in Turkey. Turkey sponsors terrorism, and is a big supporter of Hamas.
    But hey, $350 is just too good a deal, I guess.
    And most of the crude oil we import that is used to make gasoline that fuels your car comes from where? At any rate, I bought mine from another INGO member. Reasonably certain he didn't send the money to Hamas.

Top Bottom