• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Today Sept 01 I bought a Glock 19 Gen 5 at Phoenix Guns in Columbus.
    They always have a great inventory and had several on hand this week.
    It clearly is a natural evolution of all previous generations, with many improvements you've probably read about.
    Some of the better features: elimination of the finger notches, tapered slide front like a 26, orange magazine follower, beveled mag well, return of the finger cut to help remove the mag. The trigger seems lighter than the Gen 4. The good things about of the Gen 4 continue: RTF2, large mag release button.

The one questionable or negative change: Slide lock on both sides. For right handlers, you feel the slide lock with your trigger finger when your finger is straight. And it can interfere with some holsters. Probably a nice addition for left handed shooters. I noticed the Gen 5 did not withdrawal as easily from my Patriot holster as my Gen 2. I figured out why. On the Gen 2 the front of the trigger guard is 0.590 wide. On the Gen 5 it is 0.620 wide. So holster tension has to be adjusted.

IMG_0118.jpg IMG_0108.jpg IMG_0109.jpg

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I'm not a Glock guy at all, but picked up a Gen5 19 today as well. Thought I was getting a 17, ended up with a 19 as that's all they had left. Not upset that I ended up with the 19, got it for what I consider to be an ok price. Probably average street price, but Rural King has their 12% cash back on, so I get the 12% on it. Was surprised to see that Rural King had them already, to be honest.

I'd never really liked Glocks because I didn't like the finger grooves. Guess time will tell how this one works for me, it should pair nicely with my Polymer 80 not a Glock Glock.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What's the improvement over the G4?

Better barrel. Improved internal safety. Improved trigger. Flared Magwell. Slide bevels on front for holstering, improved timing on the recoil spring, chamged the standard rear sight to make it easier to align the front, no finger grooves, ambi slide stop. More durable finish

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    What's the improvement over the G4?

There's a lot different on the Gen 5...
    I picked up a G19 Gen 5 w/night sights at Beech Grove Firearms yesterday.

Slide is now beveled in the front like a 26/27.
    New more durable (and much blacker) finish.
    New barrel with standard rifling (but it's not very deep)
    Barrel has a nice target crown
    Safety plunger is re-designed
    Striker has been re-designed and kinda looks round/tear-drop shaped vs. the blade
    Frame is back to 2 pins like the Gen 1 & 2
    Texture is like the Gen4 but slightly less agressive
    Grip is slightly wider than the Gen4
    Ambi-slide release
    The take down lever has a real coil spring under it vs. the flat metal thingy
    The trigger spring system is re-designed and it takes out the gritty-ness of the old trigger and it feels lighter.
    Trigger reset feels about 25% shorter and it's crisp
    No finger grooves
    Beveled magwell for easier re-loads
    Bottom of the grip is flared slightly on the sides
    Front is the grip has a U-notch at the bottom to help pull out non-drop free mags. Some of my Korean KCI mags don't drop free in the Gen 5.
    The Gen 5 magazines have an orange follower
    The magazine also has a re-designed base plate that's longer in the front

Did I miss anything??

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I tried IndyGlockMan's new gen 5 G19 yesterday at the range. I'm not a Glock fan, but I will say that I liked it better than any stock Glock I've ever shot. The trigger was a definite upgrade, the grips felt fantastic without being too aggressive and the slightly flared magwell made mag changes much easier. If you're a Glock fan, it's worth checking out.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Don't mind the upgrades, and in fact think most of them are worthwhile. However, I do not like any ambi controls...just me, and I especially don't like the ambi-slide release on a Glock. (No offense meant to lefties.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I should shoot a Glock one day. I might be missing out. This new Gen 5 has me interested. Not sure if I would want the 17 or the 19.

I hate INGO.

I was done buying firearms!

I might end up selling my CZC and buying a Glock if I like it once I shoot it. Wouldn't that be a reversal of INGO protocol!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I should shoot a Glock one day. I might be missing out. This new Gen 5 has me interested. Not sure if I would want the 17 or the 19.

I hate INGO.

I was done buying firearms!

I might end up selling my CZC and buying a Glock if I like it once I shoot it. Wouldn't that be a reversal of INGO protocol!
    I know what you mean. Every time I think I should try to cut back, I get in a buying frenzy.
    It is like when I think I should start on a diet. I suddenly feel like I am starving and have to eat something.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Did you have to drift the rear sight to get the gun to shoot poa/poi? A lot of people are. That tells me glock has a problem. My LGS had a 19 and 17 yesterday. I handled the 19. Rear sight was drifted grossly to the right. LGS said Glock needed the 17 back cause the slide could potentially come off unintended.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Did you have to drift the rear sight to get the gun to shoot poa/poi? A lot of people are. That tells me glock has a problem. My LGS had a 19 and 17 yesterday. I handled the 19. Rear sight was drifted grossly to the right. LGS said Glock needed the 17 back cause the slide could potentially come off unintended.

Shooting left of center is nothing new for the Glock design and certainly not exclusive to the Gen5. Some pistols seem to do it and some don't but I will say that we are seeing it less with the 17M than we have with previous generations. A significant number of pistols that shoot left mysteriously stop if someone else shoots the pitsol. When it does turn out to be the pistol if it doesn't require a significant adjustment of the rear sight I've never considered it to be a big deal.

The slides coming off story seems to have gained a life of its own. The issue was not with the Gen5 Glocks, it was with the very early 17M pistols and was quickly and easily remedied with a stronger slide lock spring.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Sounds like a lot of people can't shoot

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if aftermarket trigger stops for gen 4's fit in gen 5's? Or if the companies that make these will have to retool?

Top Bottom