• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since you are not allowed to make comments but only pm in the classifieds and I love processing "the sale" or "the search" or whatever, I think it is permissible in a separate thread.
    I don't understand why in a thread we create, the OP can't say or make comments, which bumps the thread, b/c I don't see the harm to anyone, but........ :popcorn:
    There have been many times I have had to ask questions to the seller for clarification, and I'm sure a dozen other people had to do the same thing since noone can benefit from your question. :dunno:

Unusual for me, it has been a whole day and my Ruger LC9 (no S) had not sold.
    I am spoiled in that things usually sell for me in a few minutes to a day.

I am selling it for $250.

One guys response said only: $180
    I wrote back: $280 :laugh:

Two people had questions about the trigger safety and magazine disconnect being taken out (which I preferred anyway).
    One offered $200 b/c of that and I told him that the two pieces that were taken out doing that were included in a small pouch given me by the previous owner if he wanted to put it back. (never heard back)
    The other acted like they wanted to drive and get it Sat. am, but they thought it was an "S" model: not.

Another offered $235, a reasonable offer, but I told them I priced it fairly and I would just keep it if there was not enough interest.
    In my opinion, if it was worth $235, it was worth $250, but some people will not pay the price (notice I didn't say asking price), but I will change a price only after at least a week or more.
    If I want to sell for less I tell people to check back in a month or week or whatever, depending on my time frame.
    Perhaps I should have, it doesn't even really matter to me, and it was a fair offer at least, but I would have asked $275 if I had put "wiggle" room in there for the "bidders."

One guy offered $200, and I told him I'd just keep it, and wished him luck getting the LC9 for $200 (the price of a 380 in my mind).

There were a few other less exciting inquiries from those trying to get something for free (it must work for them, like the $180 offer), but these were worth a mention.
    Nothing will beat me selling the 10-8 Smith 38 in 3 minutes 9:30 pm on a Friday night or the guy last week who bought my Walther PPS and he was the original owner!!!!! Never heard of that before!

Well, got to get ready for church!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think lots of people low ball because so many ask ridiculous prices in the classifieds, in the first place. There's a whole HUGE thread on that and other issues. I've seen, especially with Glocks, people asking the price of a new one.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The rule about not adding comments or bumping the thread more than once every 24 hours is to keep people from repeatedly adding comments to keep their ad at the top of the pile. Some sellers claim they aren't running a business in the classys yet have dozens of ads and lots of time on their hands. It's not fair to other members to have to fight for positioning for a single ad.

If you have a question related to the ad, send the seller a PM and ask it. If they left something off like location, price, etc. they can modify the listing to correct it for everyone.

Finally, if you're pretty firm on your price, just say so in the listing. It probably won't eliminate all lower offers but it will help cut down on the real low ball offers.

Hopefully this is helpful info.

Last edited:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    State the Price is Firm when you list it, that saves you replying to a Lo-Ball Offer. Figure out what you need to get out of it and add 10%. Let the buyer have a 10% Discount. I'm always cautious of a Gun someone has "Worked On".

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The rule about not adding comments or bumping the thread more than once every 24 hours is to keep people from repeatedly adding comments to keep their ad at the top of the pile. Some sellers claim they aren't running a business in the classys yet have dozens of ads and lots of time on their hands. It's not fair to other members to have to fight for positioning for a single ad.

If you have a question related to the ad, send the seller a PM and ask it. If they left something off like location, price, etc. they can modify the listing to correct it for everyone.

Finally, if you're pretty firm on your price, just say so in the listing. It probably won't eliminate all lower offers but it will help cut down on the real low ball offers.

This is your answer. It is annoying to see the same ad bumped repeatedly to the top in a short time period. If you edit the original post like MCgrease mentions that does not bump the ad to the top, but does update the info in the original post.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    While you may end up selling for $250, you probably are on the high side. LC9S shows up new around $290 from time to time.

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I think lots of people low ball because so many ask ridiculous prices in the classifieds, in the first place. There's a whole HUGE thread on that and other issues. I've seen, especially with Glocks, people asking the price of a new one.

This.
    :yesway:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    If you are not getting what you want for it then just keep it.... This is what you said in your ad. This is not the time to be expecting to get what you want out of a firearm anyway the market is soft and people will offer what they feel it is worth even if you dont.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Since any comment pushes you to the top, that does make sense, it woulld be irritating for a few people to dominate the 1st page by doing that.
    2. I think on Armslist you can bump every 5 (?) days b/c of that.
    3. the reason I don't know is b/c I sell w/i a day or less usually (my Ruger LC9 being the exception since I would not come down to $235, or $200 or $180.
    4. After a week I will come down $10 to $240, or just will keep it, depending on what else I buy. :laugh:
    5. I did mention in my ad about not selling it lower, I always like to not waste people's time or my own.
    6. I do use the pm for any follow up questions: I'm a good learner. :rockwoot:
    7. Thanks for your input: I recgonize your moniker!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is a good post. Others should ask more questions about the classifieds. :yesway:

Just my :twocents:. Threats to keep it or put it back in the safe are humorous :):, but simply solved by just saying firm.

Dropping the price by less than 5% is a waste of everyone's time. IMHO, might have told the $235 offer to wait for a few days to let the add play out, then you'd revisit.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you are firm - state Firm. If you want haggle room - maybe stay within 10% of your "bottom dollar" price. Personally, if it is a firearm that I can by new from my LGS, I need to save at least 25% before its worth the hassle of a private sale. Accessories are really discounted used.

To me the market isn't soft, it is getting back to what a normal market should be after a long run up in prices/demand based largely in fear (didn't say unjustifiable fear...).

I've bought a couple of new rifles (not AR/tacticool styles) in the past month and prices were about were they have been for a couple years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is a good post. Others should ask more questions about the classifieds. :yesway:

Just my :twocents:. Threats to keep it or put it back in the safe are humorous :):, but simply solved by just saying firm.

Dropping the price by less than 5% is a waste of everyone's time. IMHO, might have told the $235 offer to wait for a few days to let the add play out, then you'd revisit.

1. I agree with everything you have said.
    2. My "posting" skills reflect my inexperience. :dunno:
    3. I actually end up going back to my original post and eliminating some of my verbage for all the reasons you've stated. :stickpoke:
    4. I'll go change the ad now.
    5. I should have just taken the $235, and I probably would have in person.
    6. My experience says not to dicker on price until they bother to come to look, but that doesn't really apply to guns, but cars, MC, furniture and etc.
    7. Did I mention that I was a newbie? :laugh:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I do not have in person when it comes to a firearm sale. It either matches the pictures, description, and is worth the price set or I save their number under"badsale1,2,3" and refrain from going out of my way to do business with them.

A private sale has to beat buds buy at least 15 percent. The shop I frequent does free transfers with purchase, so I end up with ammo or ar gear.

I won't touch a gun modified outside of the manual unless I can verify the shop or gunsmith that did the work. Even if it's an easy reversible process, I'm not interested in YouTube gunsmith work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I do not have in person when it comes to a firearm sale. It either matches the pictures, description, and is worth the price set or I save their number under"badsale1,2,3" and refrain from going out of my way to do business with them.

A private sale has to beat buds buy at least 15 percent. The shop I frequent does free transfers with purchase, so I end up with ammo or ar gear.

I won't touch a gun modified outside of the manual unless I can verify the shop or gunsmith that did the work. Even if it's an easy reversible process, I'm not interested in YouTube gunsmith work.

1. Good point, adding to my education.
    2. I never dreamed that very basic mods like these in a gun mattered since they came standard in the LC9 Pro out of the: trigger safety and the magazine item, so I considered it an upgrade like trigger work: not brain surgery, just basic "plug and play."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    While you may end up selling for $250, you probably are on the high side. LC9S shows up new around $290 from time to time.

Being the outlier that I am, I have a different view. If I could save $40 and the gun was like new, I'd probably buy it if it wasn't too far of a drive. I'd be saving the tax and I wouldn't be filling out the 4473. I prefer to have my firearms not run through the 4473 process and for me that adds value to a used gun. The fact that it's had a few rounds shot through it is inconsequential to me. I'm going to shoot it and whether new or used, after a few range trips, they will be even par.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Being the outlier that I am, I have a different view. If I could save $40 and the gun was like new, I'd probably buy it if it wasn't too far of a drive. I'd be saving the tax and I wouldn't be filling out the 4473. I prefer to have my firearms not run through the 4473 process and for me that adds value to a used gun. The fact that it's had a few rounds shot through it is inconsequential to me. I'm going to shoot it and whether new or used, after a few range trips, they will be even par.

1. You sound like my viewpoint.
    2. Used not bother me, b/c I always buy from a manufacturer that has a lifetime warranty and I can send it back if an issue.
    3. There is no magic for me to buy new when buying a top-tier gun with some rounds through it.
    4. I too, figure in tax, and if there is any: shipping and FFl fees. Real money.
    5. I wanted to buy an old police 38 revolver and i was told and shown where to go online to buy them: $300ish or $325, plus shipping, plus FFL, so it turns a $300 gun into a $350 (??) right away, and you don't know what you are getting.
    6. I saw one locally for $300 on Armlist, got him down to $275, drove 5 miles: done. And it was awesome!
    7. I also like keeping it "off the books" despite how the dealers say there is no central "gathering" of such info.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1. I agree with everything you have said.
    2. My "posting" skills reflect my inexperience. :dunno:
    3. I actually end up going back to my original post and eliminating some of my verbage for all the reasons you've stated. :stickpoke:
    4. I'll go change the ad now.
    5. I should have just taken the $235, and I probably would have in person.
    6. My experience says not to dicker on price until they bother to come to look, but that doesn't really apply to guns, but cars, MC, furniture and etc.
    7. Did I mention that I was a newbie? :laugh:

You are doing fine. Actually, stemming the discussions that you have is a real service to this forum. The more usage of our classifieds is discussed the more we are all educated. Even us old dogs that think we are good and familiar with this sort of stuff could be (or should be) learning from these discussions.

Spot on with my thoughts sir.

--------------------------------

Often classifieds shoppers get wrapped up in absolutes when every condition is different. Try to never say never and approach each circumstance on it's own.

I have seen guns with nearly their original value in high end aftermarket parts installed and bought some of them. Similar could be said for unique items that aren't known to many. Often an add that doesn't seem to want to sell does after some time or some trades are offered rather than cash.

Sometimes you just don't get the eyes on your add before it's buried in those of flipper/pro-traders. Being creative with the times of day where you bump your add can help. You might be surprised how many folks get drawn to the classifieds who had no intention of shopping because your add came up near the top when they clicked the "New Posts" button.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You are doing fine. Actually, stemming the discussions that you have is a real service to this forum. The more usage of our classifieds is discussed the more we are all educated. Even us old dogs that think we are good and familiar with this sort of stuff could be (or should be) learning from these discussions.

Spot on with my thoughts sir.

--------------------------------

Often classifieds shoppers get wrapped up in absolutes when every condition is different. Try to never say never and approach each circumstance on it's own.

I have seen guns with nearly their original value in high end aftermarket parts installed and bought some of them. Similar could be said for unique items that aren't known to many. Often an add that doesn't seem to want to sell does after some time or some trades are offered rather than cash.

Sometimes you just don't get the eyes on your add before it's buried in those of flipper/pro-traders. Being creative with the times of day where you bump your add can help. You might be surprised how many folks get drawn to the classifieds who had no intention of shopping because your add came up near the top when they clicked the "New Posts" button.

1. I believe it is all about timing when selling about anything: must be patient (not a gift).
    2. Appreciate your thoughts. I am a liitle afraid my musing might be irritating to the experienced.
    3. I am having so much fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I changed my ad to $235.
    I trimmed it up a little, although noone else will probably notice, but it's still cheaper than anything else on Armslist or here, but there is an LC9 Pro for $275 in Armlist.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I changed my ad to $235.
    I trimmed it up a little, although noone else will probably notice, but it's still cheaper than anything else on Armslist or here, but there is an LC9 Pro for $275 in Armlist.

Did you PM the INGOer that offered $235 first?

Top Bottom