• ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Single Action 22 Revolver

I just came across a Ruger Single Six on YouTube the other day. I already have the GP 100 22 but somehow the thought of a single action revolver peaked my interest. For one thing it's in 22 and it's another classic pistol from Ruger. I also have the Ruger Mark IV Hunter. For the time being these are the two pistols I fire most often when I go to the range. So having a slightly different type of pistol I could fire really appealed to me. I do find it kind of funny that when I go to the range that the few times others are their firing larger caliber pistols that I'll be there for about two hours and fire about three hundred rounds and they might be there for as little as 1/2 hour and fifty or one hundred rounds. At this point I've gone to the range once a week for the last 4 weeks or so. So for my purpose of going to the range as often and as long as possible and having the ability to fire more rounds for the money works just perfect for me. I do fire a few 9mms as well but generally not as many rounds.

I went to Cabelas and looked at a few different manufactures and compared them in person the other day. From a quality perspective it was extremely easy to see the difference between the Heritage Rough Rider and the Ruger Six. So even though one YouTube video claimed there was little difference in hand it was extremely easy to tell the difference between a $600 and a $200 gun as one might expect. The thin metaled Rough Rider just didn't appeal to me. I must say I was extremely tempted by the Uberti Cattleman. Aesthetically the Uberti Catleman was extremely pleasing and it appeared to be a great quality gun in the hand. When compared to the Ruger Single Six the Uberti Cattleman looked more and actually functioned more like an actual Colt Army Single Action Revolver. The fit, finish, and thickness of the metal all really appealed to me. However when the salesman said if there were any issues with the Uberti it generally took about six months to resolve them. I spent a little time on the internet checking out a few items I was able to find about Uberti Single action revolvers and it appears that some of the parts they use aren't the most sturdy or robust. Hard to get a real good sense of things but I didn't like what I was seeing.

I decided to go with Ruger Single Action Revolver. Not the most historically correct example when it comes to the way it functions or it's aesthetics but a better choice in my opinion. The Ruger is a bit blocky but when it comes to reliability and customer support I think they win hands down and I have been rather happy with the two Rutgers I already have. I think the only other I might want would be one from Freedom Arms but that's a bit more than what I am willing to pay for one at this point.

In the end I decided to go with the Ruger Single Ten. The biggest deciding fact was the capacity and at this point I have no intentions of using 22 mags anyway and I do kind of like the fiber optic sights as well.

Hard to say at this point if I'll get any more revolvers but I'm pretty certain this won't be the last 22 pistol I will buy. For me it's more bout the range time and round count than it is about a larger caliber handgun.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My brother bought a Single Six many years ago and has always been very fond of it. His does also have a mag cylinder. He also has a Blackhawk that shoots .357/38 as well as 9mm. 2 cylinders of course.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Hi D, if you can get a good condition used Single 6, with both cylinders it will serve you well for many years.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Hi D, if you can get a good condition used Single 6, with both cylinders it will serve you well for many years.

Based on what I've seen I believe your probably right. I have already ordered the Single Ten and hope to have it by the end of the week. However I wouldn't doubt that another Single Action might not be somewhere in my future.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Probably close to half my guns are .22s. Like you said, you can shoot them all day. Almost picked up a .22 revolver at the gun show Saturday, but ended up passing on it.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Probably close to half my guns are .22s. Like you said, you can shoot them all day. Almost picked up a .22 revolver at the gun show Saturday, but ended up passing on it.

Dont know if you have one or not yet, but if not I would highly recommend a Revolver in 22 of one type or another. The Ruger GP 100 in 22 has really added to my enjoyment at the range so far and there really are so many great choices out there. Actually even though I have the Single Ten on order I'm already contemplating my next one.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I have a NM Blackhawk that is one of my (and wife's) favorite shooters. I long for a Vaquero though. Bisley even.

I'm strongly considering the Smith and Wesson 17 and believe it or not I'm still can't get the Uberti out of my head. Of course the ones I'm considering for the most part are in 22. At this point most of my hand guns are semi auto and mostly in 9mm. I can easily see a day where most could easily be in 22.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I bought the wife Heritage .22lr/WMR combo for $200 a few years ago. REALLY good gun for the price. And with the hammer block it makes for a great training pistol for new shooters

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I bought the wife Heritage .22lr/WMR combo for $200 a few years ago. REALLY good gun for the price. And with the hammer block it makes for a great training pistol for new shooters

Frankly when comparing the Heritage Rough Rider and Uberti I found the Uberti to be a bit more to my liking. The only draw back is the time it would take to get serviced if there where an issue. I may just have to take that chance however.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    You could order one of the Ubertis through Cimarron or Taylors. My Uberti was from Cimarron, it's tolerances were a little off, the cylinder was binding, I sent it back in and had it back nine days later been perfect since.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    You could order one of the Ubertis through Cimarron or Taylors. My Uberti was from Cimarron, it's tolerances were a little off, the cylinder was binding, I sent it back in and had it back nine days later been perfect since.

I was looking and considering one from Taylors and comparing prices with Gun Broker. The prices on Gun Broker were a bit better but I'll have to keep in mind Cimarron as frankly a few extra dollars is worth it to me if that helps to ensure I will get the better product in the long run.

So would you say overall that you are pleased with your choice and what are your impressions if you don't mind sharing your thoughts.

By the way I just checked Cimarron and it appears that they either don't sell any in 22 or are out of stock and not advertising that they do.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I have an older Single Six and am very fond of it

Have you had a chance to compare the older model to the new one and if so besides the safety and the way the cocking mechanism function how would you say it compares to the new model. Materials used and so forth?

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    My apologies, My Uberti is a 357 bisley, I assumed they handled the 22's also, maybe not. I have the Ruger single ten, got it when they first came out, never a hitch, mighty fine revolver.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    My apologies, My Uberti is a 357 bisley, I assumed they handled the 22's also, maybe not. I have the Ruger single ten, got it when they first came out, never a hitch, mighty fine revolver.

No problem, besides it was a great recommendation. I might just have to get it through Taylors instead and I would hope they would have just as good customer support.

Thanks

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm a fan of the Ruger Bearcat...I got three...Two old models and one new model...And like everything Ruger with me I like the new one's best...Ruger is the only gun manufacturer I can say that about....

rimg.php

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I'm a fan of the Ruger Bearcat...I got three...Two old models and one new model...And like everything Ruger with me I like the new one best...Ruger is the only gun manufacturer I can say that about....

rimg.php

Very nice!!

So you actually like their newer model better and why exactly is that? Especially when from most of what I've read most guns just aren't manufactured as well as what they used to be. Is this somehow different when it comes to Ruger?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Very nice!!

So you actually like their newer model better and why exactly is that? Especially when from most of what I've read most guns just aren't manufactured as well as what they used to be. Is this somehow different when it comes to Ruger?

The "new" Vaqueros went back to the pre 1973 .357 magnum frame size, which is closer in size to the SAA Colt...Better balanced in the hand.....In re the Bearcat's: The new ones have a better (easier to see and regulated to point of aim) sights along with an all steel frame...The earlier Bearcat's (except for the short lived Super Bearcat) had alloy frames.....

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    The "new" Vaqueros went back to the pre 1973 .357 magnum frame size, which is closer in size to the SAA Colt...Better balanced in the hand.....In re the Bearcat's: The new ones have a better (easier to see and regulated to point of aim) sights along with an all steel frame...The earlier Bearcat's (except for the short lived Super Bearcat) had alloy frames.....

Ah, now I see. Thanks,

Top Bottom