• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not sure which to choose and I'm tired of researching it for hours.
    Should I be able to go to a shop like the one on 16th St, off Shadeland that caters to law enforcement and seems to have a plethora of everything in accessories and find these choices?
    I will choose between these 3 brands.

Hogue seems to have different grips for the J frame so it bothers me in getting the right one b/c some have mentioned fitment issues, so I assume they had the wrong one.

HOGUE Rubber GRIP 6000fits S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Monogrip
    71OWWhHdQ-L._SL256_.jpg
    aced21e6-0aa9-4238-9f7b-66da7cb60eed_1.f3f671534b7fafd138b6b3deabe68013.jpeg

Hogue Monogrip Grips S&W J-Frame Round Butt Nylon Black
    Hogue Tamer Grip for Centennial Bodyguard
    One Hogue mentioned it was for a 442, another 642 another as mentioned above for the J frame and another for the Centennial Bodyguard.
    They could all be the same one just with different descriptors as far as I can tell.
    Note: there seems to be a choice for one labeled for the J frame and one for the 642 with subtle differences.
    In reading dozens of reviews on each of these, many praise each one, but there will be those that say anyone of them is not sufficient.
    Anyone have experience with these, hearing their friends complain or sing praises using with the 642 Airweight?

Pachmayr Diamond Pro S&W J Frame Revolver Grip:
    Seems to have a better pinky grip than the Hogue

iipsrv.fcgi

Ergo Grip S&W J-Frame Revolver Delta Grip:
    I saw these and they are so much easier to put on, and seem to address the grip in a little different way also.
    I like getting my middle finger away from the trigger guard's recoil, the way these are made.

Testimony that really got my attention:
    This grip stops the trigger guard of a S&W 442 from bruising the shooter's middle finger. Very comfortable and steady in your hand for a snubby. The gun still fits perfectly in my De Santis Super Fly pocket holster, too.
    Less negatives on this Ergo than the others.

opplanet-ergo-grip-s-w-j-frame-revolver-delta-grip-black-4581-swj-main.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you going to carry this? IWB holster or OWB?

I like Hogue grips and I have them on most of my Smith's but none of those are for carrying. Though I like them a lot, for carry purposes I'm not sure I want something so "grippy".

I would consider some G10 grips. They are plenty "grippy" to hang on to, but won't catch clothing. But there is that recoil thing...:)

For you guys who use them for your carry gun, does your clothing ever get caught up on the grips?

I have never cared for Pachmayr's because the rubber was so much harder than the Hogues, but maybe for carry they would be good.

I know I'm not helping in your decision making, but maybe my comments will generate other's to weigh in.

That Ergo grip looks fugly, but it may work really well. And that is most important if you are going to shoot it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After reading more reviews I just went ahead and ordered the Ergo Delta grips for the S/W J frames.

They were a tad more $$ than the others: $24 + 7 shipping = $31.

I was going to wait to get feedback but I just went for it: I like the different approach and it solves issues with me:
    recoil in general
    middle finger bite
    doesn't seem to me as tall as the others
    lining up the hand/wrist/arm in such a way as for better recoil absorption in general

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you going to carry this? IWB holster or OWB?

I like Hogue grips and I have them on most of my Smith's but none of those are for carrying. Though I like them a lot, for carry purposes I'm not sure I want something so "grippy".

I would consider some G10 grips. They are plenty "grippy" to hang on to, but won't catch clothing. But there is that recoil thing...:)

For you guys who use them for your carry gun, does your clothing ever get caught up on the grips?

I have never cared for Pachmayr's because the rubber was so much harder than the Hogues, but maybe for carry they would be good.

I know I'm not helping in your decision making, but maybe my comments will generate other's to weigh in.

That Ergo grip looks fugly, but it may work really well. And that is most important if you are going to shoot it.

1. Ergo grips certainly aren't "politically correct" in their looks, but for me, Mr. Ecclectic, that's a plus.
    2. It will be a pocket carry with the DeSantis Superfly sticky pocket holster, which I have specifically read will work fine.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hogue grips on my wife's .38 Bodyguard made it less unpleasant to shoot.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The Ergo's seem like they would really mess with grip angle and muscle memory - will be interested to read how they feel. Reminds me of a Rhino 357.

My preference is the Hogue Hardwood with finger groves. Really seems to spread the recoil around palm of your hand...but its all personally preference and feel. I actually pulled the rubber grips off my newest 44 mag and put wood back on...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Ergo's seem like they would really mess with grip angle and muscle memory - will be interested to read how they feel. Reminds me of a Rhino 357.

My preference is the Hogue Hardwood with finger groves. Really seems to spread the recoil around palm of your hand...but its all personally preference and feel. I actually pulled the rubber grips off my newest 44 mag and put wood back on...

I put the original wood grips back on my Model 29. They just look better than the Hogue's ever did.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. The people I read that had it really loved the Ergo, but the same with the others.
    2. I can't wait till I get them, go to the range and find out my feedback.
    3. I'll become an Ergo rep. on the site and get a commission for everyone that buys one. :laugh:

I put the original wood grips back on my Model 29. They just look better than the Hogue's ever did.

3. Look better: Oh yes!!!
    4. I remember when people started taking their wood grips off and put on rubber: outrageous! Who would do such a thing?! :stickpoke:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    A pair of those old discarded finger groove combats for a J frame just closed on e-bay for $257. Probably traded them for a pair rubber ones. Live and learn, hopefully.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the wood grips looks nice but man are they terrible grips for the recoil on some of those light pistols!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am curious to know what you think of that ergo grip when it arrives. I have always wanted to try one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    the wood grips looks nice but man are they terrible grips for the recoil on some of those light pistols!

1. I was thinking the same thing, but since I'm' a newbie I didn't want to share my ignorance. :laugh:

I am curious to know what you think of that ergo grip when it arrives. I have always wanted to try one.

2. You know I will. I'm excited about them and really glad I ran across them.
    3. I must have watched 10-15 vids and read 50 reviews. I spent alot of time Sat. and Sun. evening and this Mon. am. researching.
    4. Just when I thought I figured out if I wanted Packmayrs (sp?) or Hogue I would read a negative review.
    5. And there was another 3-5 grips that I eliminated that some liked: Mike's was one.
    6. Some of them didn't even cover the metal piece that went down the back/spine of the grip or they weren't even covering the end of the grip to allow for the pinky to latch onto some rubber: so why bother with another grip?
    7. So, when I ran across the Ergo Delta it really hit a spot with me.
    8. The total different approach w/o increasing the height alot but changed the angle alot seemed innovative in its approach to solve fitment issues since the dirty little secret of the small conceal gun is: it hurts. I used to talk about how much I loved my 14.4 oz 642 until I spent more and more time at the range with it: then I hated it!
    9. I have thought about trying out a Ruger GP101 3 inch 38 SS 5 shot that weighs 26 oz and the OAL is 7.2 inches to see if I could pocket carry it, but I think i'm in denial. I have the S/W 38 4 inch SS 6 shot: way too big at 8 inch OAL (I think from memory) and 36 oz (from memory).

10. I will tell all and confess all: if it is crap I will admit it and try to sell them and get either the Packmayr or Hogue next time.
    11. Just look at the way it protects your middle finger from being beat up (the Walther did that to me also, just the 642), that only will make it worth 12. And, the ease of application is totally different; people has serious issues getting the other types on b/c of this or that reason, but some didn't.
    I was watching a vid of a guy doing it, and he couldn't get it to work and had to shut the vid off and came back after he finally got fitment: hilarious!(can't remember if it was the Hogue or Pachmayr, but both had similar application with similar issues, if memory serves.

13. Look for the: "New ERGO Delta Grips" thread coming soon!

opplanet-ergo-grip-s-w-j-frame-revolver-delta-grip-black-4581-swj-main.jpg

Last edited:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I agree that the older wood grips a not fun to use on J frames, just look good for "show and tell". I also am waiting for the range report on the Delta's since I have very arthritic hands. Keep up the field test and reporting.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Doddg. A 3 inch revolver will be to big for your pocket. As you have figured out pocket carry requires a small light gun. You have also figured out that light guns are hard to shoot and in many cases not much fun. You have also bought and sold a lot of guns looking for nirvana. My question for you is this, why the obsession with pocket carry? With the exception of the Jframe all the guns you are choosing would be better on the belt. I understand that pocket carry is easy and discreet but it has its disadvantages as well. It is also not invisible as people tend to notice bulges in the pocket.

Incidently the S&W642 is hands down my choice as a primary handgun for the pocket gun role. I never feel unarmed with my 642.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I put VZ's on and never looked back. I don't 'love' shooting it but make sure I do. Each range session it's the last to get shot. I also make sure to put a few .357 through just to remind myself what it's like. (340pd here)
    The issue I had with the factory grips or boot grips was holding on to clothes. I either pocket carry, IWB, or it's just in a backpack with me. The VZ just work...plus they match the 1911's.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    You're going to like the Ergo. You've already accepted the one complaint against it,...it's ugly. If that doesn't matter to you you'll find that it does everything you want it to. It is comfortable. It definitely protects your ring finger from battering. Unlike all other small grips, firing actually increases your grasp of the thing. (they're available on ebay for just under $20 with free shipping,....too late).

I researched J frame grips a couple of years ago and found that everything is a compromise. The Hogues and Pachs are too large and some are too 'grippy'. Many others are too slick and small. Most don't cover the backstrap and are little better than the OEM grips(which overall really aren't that bad). There are also a lot of J frame grips that interfere with speedloaders,....something else to watch out for. I settled on two 'best' choices, and neither is a commonly considered option. Simplest choice is the Ergo. Easy to buy and easy to apply and pretty much without fault. The other choice strangely enough is the factory Taurus grip for their J frame clone. It's cheap at $7 direct from Taurus but annoyingly difficult to purchase. You get to download and print an order form and mail it in with a bunch of wheat pennies and wait a month for Taurus to send you one. Very much like ordering from the Monkey Wards catalog in 1890 so it does have the nostalgia thing going for it. Kinda pisses a person off if they've ever ordered anything in modern times. The upside of the Taurus grip is that it's no larger than the S&W factory grip while being more hand filling. It does cover the backstrap with a cushioning layer of rubber adding to the length of the grip and the texture while not enlarging it to a noticeable degree. It also does a good job of protecting your ring finger and doesn't interfere with any speedloader I'm familiar with. They're cheap enough and annoying enough to order that I buy them by the half-dozen just so I'll never need to order another.

Only drawback is that the cross pin at the base of the Taurus is located differently than the Smith so you either need to redrill where the pin fits(which is a pain since it's both sides of the grip from the inside and doesn't break through to the outside)or you can just remove the pin entirely from the Smith frame. Just grab a pair of pliers(yeah, I know,.....just a pliers)and pull it out. I put them on Rossi revolvers the same way.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I agree that the older wood grips a not fun to use on J frames, just look good for "show and tell". I also am waiting for the range report on the Delta's since I have very arthritic hands. Keep up the field test and reporting.

1. I look forward to giving it, but haven't received them yet.

I've always used the Hogue grips that don't lengthen the grips at all. Very comfortable and retains maximum concealability.

2. I have a Smith 38, 10-7, with Hogue grips (I didn't even realize it).
    3. I got another this week that has OEM grips.
    4. I can't wait to see if I can tell the difference at the range between the two.

Doddg. A 3 inch revolver will be to big for your pocket. As you have figured out pocket carry requires a small light gun. You have also figured out that light guns are hard to shoot and in many cases not much fun. You have also bought and sold a lot of guns looking for nirvana. My question for you is this, why the obsession with pocket carry? With the exception of the Jframe all the guns you are choosing would be better on the belt. I understand that pocket carry is easy and discreet but it has its disadvantages as well. It is also not invisible as people tend to notice bulges in the pocket.

5. My "obsession" is that I can't carry a holster on the belt, period. I don't wear my shirttail out 90% of the time, so pocket is the only recourse.
    6. There are 2 holsters that I came across that fit belothe beltlt
    in the front, but I never could get any info about sizes so I haven't pursued either.
    7. I so agree about not being invisible in a pocket holster. I bought the DeSantis Superfly sticky pocket holster with a flap wrap around so as to cover the handle (most don't) and I was amazed at how little of the profile of my J frame it concealed even with that flap as a barrier between the gun and the front of the pocket: I expected better. I certainly know it's a gun in my pocket.
    :laugh:

You're going to like the Ergo. You've already accepted the one complaint against it,...it's ugly. If that doesn't matter to you you'll find that it does everything you want it to. It is comfortable. It definitely protects your ring finger from battering. Unlike all other small grips, firing actually increases your grasp of the thing. (they're available on ebay for just under $20 with free shipping,....too late).

8. There is always a better price, and the free shipping really hurts!
    9. I didn't want to take a chance of getting the wrong fit after reading about some unhappy with their fit with one of the other brands b/c there were a couple of options and obviously one of them wasn't quite "snug."

I researched J frame grips a couple of years ago and found that everything is a compromise. The Hogues and Pachs are too large and some are too 'grippy'. Many others are too slick and small. Most don't cover the backstrap and are little better than the OEM grips(which overall really aren't that bad). There are also a lot of J frame grips that interfere with speedloaders,....something else to watch out for. I settled on two 'best' choices, and neither is a commonly considered option. Simplest choice is the Ergo. Easy to buy and easy to apply and pretty much without fault. The other choice strangely enough is the factory Taurus grip for their J frame clone. It's cheap at $7 direct from Taurus but annoyingly difficult to purchase. You get to download and print an order form and mail it in with a bunch of wheat pennies and wait a month for Taurus to send you one. Very much like ordering from the Monkey Wards catalog in 1890 so it does have the nostalgia thing going for it. Kinda pisses a person off if they've ever ordered anything in modern times. The upside of the Taurus grip is that it's no larger than the S&W factory grip while being more hand filling. It does cover the backstrap with a cushioning layer of rubber adding to the length of the grip and the texture while not enlarging it to a noticeable degree. It also does a good job of protecting your ring finger and doesn't interfere with any speedloader I'm familiar with. They're cheap enough and annoying enough to order that I buy them by the half-dozen just so I'll never need to order another.

Only drawback is that the cross pin at the base of the Taurus is located differently than the Smith so you either need to redrill where the pin fits(which is a pain since it's both sides of the grip from the inside and doesn't break through to the outside)or you can just remove the pin entirely from the Smith frame. Just grab a pair of pliers(yeah, I know,.....just a pliers)and pull it out. I put them on Rossi revolvers the same way.

8. Ease of installment was an attractive feature of the Ergo.

Top Bottom