• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I think this might just be my next one. Anybody own one or have any thoughts about them? Thinking the 357/38 might just be the right one for me. Stainless Steel for sure, Bisley possibly.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have two 5.5", old style Vaqueros in 45 Colt. They are for cowboy action shooting. My wife and I have been shooting them for over 20 years. There are lots of rounds thru those guns. The newer model is a little smaller, but these guns are build solid. They are fun to shoot, too. I shoot Gunfighter style, which means a revolver in each hand.

The Bisley hammer is more conducive to one-handed shooting, since the hammer spur is lower and easier to reach with your thumb. I considered that, but I did not like the Bisley grip. I installed Blackhawk hammers and that reduced the reach for my thumb also.

If you can, try both the Bisley and regular Vaqueros and see which grip fells better to you. And, yes, go with the stainless. 38.357 is probably the best, especially if you do not reload. You can shoot 38 special loads; cheap and low recoil. One thing to consider, the same gun in 45 Colt is lighter since the holes in the barrel and cylinder are larger, removing more metal. You just need to determine how you are going to use the gun and which of those characteristics work best for that.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Everything Whip said....I have got three, all New Vaqueros...I had a couple of the older ones and if I was going to shoot "Ruger" 45 Colt loads or needed one in .44 magnum I would grab another in a heartbeat....As a matter of fact I am very tempted to get the New Vaquero (on the old frame) 44 magnum birdshead they just released...Right now my 3 New Vaqueros are a 4 5/8 inch solid blue in .45 long colt, a 5 1/2 inch in .357 magnum with the old style case colored frame, and a birdshead in .45 ACP like the one shown below...It is becoming one of my favorite pack around the property guns...I even got some .45 ACP shot loads for copperheads and such....Very nice weapons...You'll enjoy them the rest of your days...

rimg.php

I believe my .45 ACP birdhead has the Bisley style hammer...It's wide and low....I like it...

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    indiucky, love that birdshead grip. Your hammer looks more like the super blackhawk hammer. That's what I put on my Vaqueros, not a blackhawk hammer. The bisley hammer looks more like this. It is a little lower than the SBH hammer, but not as wide.

View attachment 58916

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    indiucky, love that birdshead grip. Your hammer looks more like the super blackhawk hammer. That's what I put on my Vaqueros, not a blackhawk hammer. The bisley hammer looks more like this. It is a little lower than the SBH hammer, but not as wide.

View attachment 58916

Ahhh...Thank you sir...I know it's easy to get into action with that...The traditionalist in me wanted 45 colt in that gun then the realist in me said, "It's a stainless steel birdshead in single action, which was never made in single action or with an internal lock and your worried about "tradition"?"

I then compared 20 bucks for 45 acp and nearly 50 bucks for long colt and opted for the 45 acp....:)

She's a shooter....

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You are correct about the tradition part. Part of me likes the traditional aspect of guns, but that went out the window when I got my lever action guns. I got them in 45 Colt so my ammo would be the same as my cowboy revolvers.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I have two 5.5", old style Vaqueros in 45 Colt. They are for cowboy action shooting. My wife and I have been shooting them for over 20 years. There are lots of rounds thru those guns. The newer model is a little smaller, but these guns are build solid. They are fun to shoot, too. I shoot Gunfighter style, which means a revolver in each hand.

The Bisley hammer is more conducive to one-handed shooting, since the hammer spur is lower and easier to reach with your thumb. I considered that, but I did not like the Bisley grip. I installed Blackhawk hammers and that reduced the reach for my thumb also.

If you can, try both the Bisley and regular Vaqueros and see which grip fells better to you. And, yes, go with the stainless. 38.357 is probably the best, especially if you do not reload. You can shoot 38 special loads; cheap and low recoil. One thing to consider, the same gun in 45 Colt is lighter since the holes in the barrel and cylinder are larger, removing more metal. You just need to determine how you are going to use the gun and which of those characteristics work best for that.

Great advice!!!

This is exactly why I came here. The depth and detail of responses here are fantastic.

To be honest this more than likely won't be used for competition but just for fun. I understand the sights can be a challenge and the Blackhawk might be more practical. However I'm leaning more towards the Vaquero because of looks and nostalgia. The 357/38 rather than 45 option seems more appealing to me because of the cost of 38 vs 45 and recoil. My hands just aren't what they used to be.

Thanks everybody,

Dan

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    To be honest this more than likely won't be used for competition but just for fun. I understand the sights can be a challenge and the Blackhawk might be more practical. However I'm leaning more towards the Vaquero because of looks and nostalgia. The 357/38 rather than 45 option seems more appealing to me because of the cost of 38 vs 45 and recoil. My hands just aren't what they used to be.Thanks everybody,

Dan

I find the 5.5 inch barrel a good compromise...Handy enough to carry in the right holster and balances darn near perfect....I know barrel length was going to be your next question...:)

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I find the 5.5 inch barrel a good compromise...Handy enough to carry in the right holster and balances darn near perfect....I know barrel length was going to be your next question...:)

I 2nd this. The 5.5" barrels feel best to me. Good balance. Better feel and balance to me than the 4 5/8" barrels. I think they look better, too.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Thanks and that pretty much goes along with my instinct. I already have a GP 100 22 and Single 10 in 5.5 and I thought I would probably stick with that size.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    Though I agree they are well balanced and have that cowboy nostalgia, I shoot a lot better with my BH. The adjustable sights add a lot of accuracy. And I have more fun when I hit what I am aiming at.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Though I agree they are well balanced and have that cowboy nostalgia, I shoot a lot better with my BH. The adjustable sights add a lot of accuracy. And I have more fun when I hit what I am aiming at.

See, this is exactly what gives me a bit of pause on this decision.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    See, this is exactly what gives me a bit of pause on this decision.

Figure out what the main use will be. Try both guns if you can. Find a local cowboy match and check it out. Shooters are very friendly and a very helpful. You may get to try a variety of cowboy guns after the match and you will be able to make a better decision.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Figure out what the main use will be. Try both guns if you can. Find a local cowboy match and check it out. Shooters are very friendly and a very helpful. You may get to try a variety of cowboy guns after the match and you will be able to make a better decision.

Frankly I plan to use it just to plink at this point, no matches in the foreseeable future although I wouldn't rule it out. If I can manage to get decent shots I'll be happy. I'm not hung up on pin point accuracy.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Frankly I plan to use it just to plink at this point, no matches in the foreseeable future although I wouldn't rule it out. If I can manage to get decent shots I'll be happy. I'm not hung up on pin point accuracy.

That's why the Vaquero might be a better option. If hunting or more precise target shooting were your goal, the Blackhawk may be a better choice. The point of going to a cowboy match is only to check out the guns they have and try them out. The folks are very helpful and you let you try out their guns.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    That's why the Vaquero might be a better option. If hunting or more precise target shooting were your goal, the Blackhawk may be a better choice. The point of going to a cowboy match is only to check out the guns they have and try them out. The folks are very helpful and you let you try out their guns.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just might do that at some point. In the meantime I've located a Vaquero at a LGS which I plan on checking out tomorrow. They don't have a Bisley but a regular one should give me a good idea if those grips work for me anyway.

Top Bottom