• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Let's say you were going to build/buy a rifle-caliber pistol with a brace to put in your get home bag, and you had to choose either an AK or AR pistol, which would it be? Why?

This also assumes that the BATF**k-crazy boys don't change their stance on shouldering said pistol.

Why a pistol and not an SBR? Because it A) is covered by your LTCH and B) doesn't require a tax stamp, registration, or notification when you go into other states.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I would go with the AR style in .223/5.56mm.....primarily due to the recoil being less and, having shot both, feel the muzzle blast of the .223 is less abusive than the 7.62x39mm. JMHO.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The 7.62x39mm loses much less energy in a 10" or 7.5" barrel than the 5.56x45mm round. I am an AK guy so I am a bit biased, but I don't think the recoil/blast from an AK is that bad. Especially in the 10" range like a PAP M92 Yugo. I have a Mini Draco with a 7.5" barrel and a folding brace. It fits in a standard book bag or typical smaller daypack. I shot a 10" Yugo in 5.56 and the Mini Draco a couple weeks ago side by side. Yes, the 5.56 is more pleasant but the mini is just cool. It is my regular "travel gun" now.

Since this pic was taken, I have fixed the angle on the brace so it is straight and switched to an SB47. The brace folds to the left.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can get full performance out of 300blk in a 10.5" pistol. I love that round and after laying a deer down dead in his tracks at 55 yards in a believer in its ability. I'm getting a 300 upper together for my ar pistol now. It's currently a 45acp that allenm put together, and it's a real *****cat as it sits.

I used to be an ak guy, but in the years since the prices have swung opposite ways. I prefer AR variants now because I use them for everything. I also like not having a front sight post, and integrated rail for optics the AR can be made much more snag free than an ak.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can get full performance out of 300blk in a 10.5" pistol. I love that round and after laying a deer down dead in his tracks at 55 yards in a believer in its ability. I'm getting a 300 upper together for my ar pistol now. It's currently a 45acp that allenm put together, and it's a real *****cat as it sits.

I used to be an ak guy, but in the years since the prices have swung opposite ways. I prefer AR variants now because I use them for everything. I also like not having a front sight post, and integrated rail for optics the AR can be made much more snag free than an ak.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I assembled an AR pistol, before/while getting the SBR tax stamp. I gotta say, I wasn't thrilled with it as a pistol, but love it as an SBR.

If I were to go that route again, I'd totally go with a 1980s Miami Vice generic cocaine dealer thug in aviator shades AK pistol variant. Because that **** never goes out of style.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have become a big fan of the 300BLK. IN the process of building a 300BLK takedown pistol with folding brace as a truck gun. 300BLK is very versatile...supersonic rounds for hunting, subsonic rounds for suppressed, either for HD.

Top Bottom