135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found this ad:
    voodoo304

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Like New Ruger LCRx 3" .38SP +P
    I'm offering up for a sale like new Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel in .38SP +P. I bought this new from Bradis about a year ago. I put one 50rd box of ammo through it to check functionality. I bought it for a hiking / woods gun since it only weighs 15.8oz, and then never went hiking.
    It is in immaculate condition and will come with everything as it did brand new.
    Also included will be qty. 2 Five Star speedloader and qty. 1 Uncle Mikes IWB/OWB holster.
    On Buds, this retails for $440.

With the extras, I'm asking $350 cash

1. I had read about this gun and was interested in it, but I already have a Smith 642 for pocket carry and two Smith 64 SS for the home and the range.
    2. I wondered about this gun for a pocket carry, but I the grip is too long. I wonder if getting the Ergo Delta grip would lower the OAL enough to allow a pocket carry, despite the 3-inch barrel.
    3. It is incredibly light-feeling. Even though it weighs 1.5ish oz more than the 642, it "feels" lighter. It could be b/c the 642 has the Ergo Delta grips on it now and it weighs more than the OEM grip.
    4. The trigger pull is sweeter in double action mode as advertised more so than the Smith 642, the Smith feels so heavy after the Ruger, now.
    5. I will have to make a decision whether to keep the Smith 4 inch 64 model for home protection instead of the new Ruger LCRx I just bought tonight.
    6. Yes, you heard correct: I bought it from Kyle.
    7. Even though I really didn't "need" the Ruger LCRx, I did want it for the right price, which for me, was $300.
    8. Kyle was willing to let it go for that if he kept the two Five Star speedloaders (which he said are more expensive than normal ones), which was not a problem since I don't use them.
    9. I was hoping to let him keep the ancillary products and get the gun for $300, and it worked out for me.
    10. I was thinking the holster was the more expensive of the extras, but actually, it was the speedloaders that were the pricier of the ancillary items, either way, we were able to deal trading off, so we were both happy: good business: win: win.
    11. I will post pics later, but not much to see (since it is not SS, ha!), it is the feel of it that is remarkable to me.
    12. Can't wait to go to the range with it and to make a decision of whether to keep the Ruger LCRx for home use or the Smith 64.
    13. I'm having so much fun.
    14. Kyle was such a pleasure to deal with. Everyone I have met here on INGO either buying or selling has been stellar.
    15. Since I told Kyle I didn't want to waste his time since I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy, but since he was willing to let me inspect the Ruger w/o reservation, I told him I would drive over to the opposite side of town from where I lived to make it easy on him (instead of meeting halfway), and he just went ahead and allowed me to drive to his house.
    16. Easy on him, and I didn't feel so bad imposing on him to just give a look, since I did buy.
    17. I will follow up with pics and range stories as time goes by. I might not be able to go to the range this weekend, though.
    18. I can't wait to compare my 642 and the Smith 64-7 & 64-8, to the Ruger LCRx at the range.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I saw that ad and was tempted to contact him. I've heard nothing but great things about those guns. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it and how it compares to your other revolvers in the same caliber.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw that ad and was tempted to contact him. I've heard nothing but great things about those guns. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it and how it compares to your other revolvers in the same caliber.

1. I am excited about trying it out. Interestingly enough, my Smith 64s have a good double action trigger pull about like the Ruger LCRx, it is the Smith 642 that it so much better than. The adjustable sights on it could make it fun for the range, plus I've read where a 3" barrel does just about as well as a 4" at the range: well see (not that I've ever adjusted sights before). If its recoil is about what my Smith 64 is, I might keep it for the long run, but I can't imagine a 16 oz gun being the same recoil as a 35 oz gun, despite grips, design or whatever.
    2. I am going to try to go to the range today after work instead of waiting till Sat. after a funeral, or Sunday after Church.
    3. Got to do some more yard work Sat. putting down dirt, but getting too late to plant grass for sprouting this year. When I had trees cut down and trimmed up late summer it left holes from limbs falling on the ground plus truck tire depressions. :xmad:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it to Point Blank Range off 116th St. in Carmel where I have a $35/mo. membership with unlimited shooting time.
    Took the new Ruger LCRx .38 special 3" barrel, S/W 64-7 .38 special 4" barrel, and S/W 64-8 4" barrel .38 special, my S/W 642 1.87" barrel .38 special Airweight.
    Also shot the S/W 9mm Shield, and the Ruger GP100 10 shot .22 revolver and my new Sig Sauer 1911-22 semi-auto that I love.
    Then there was a little time spent with my old Colt Mustang .380 from 1990.

i was trying to determine different things.
    Which of my S/W 64s to keep?
    Done: I will keep the one with the Hogue grips, not the OEM grips: I can tell the difference now. Just a hair better.

Now, on to the new acquisition yesterday: the Ruger LCRx.
    I can do tighter patterns with the Ruger than my S/W 642 1.87" barrel with the 3" barrel Ruger: not unexpected.
    The recoil is better with the Ruger as well, even with my famed Ergo new grips on the 642. The Ruger LCRx has Hogue's Tamer grips with a soft rubber insert on the inside of the grip at the back-strap – where it does its recoil absorbing duties does give advantage over the Ergo Delta grips I bought for the 642.
    If I got the Ergo Delta grips for the Ruger, it would decrease its length and height enough for perhaps a pocket carry, which would put the comparison between it and the 642, but why bother? Since I have the Ergo Delta grips for the 642, it will do for a pocket carry CC gun with its short barrel just fine.
    Having a hammer on the Ruger is nice for the range, also, but the no hammer of the 642 has the apparent pocket carry advantage.

The jury is still out on whether I want to keep the Ruger instead of a Smith 64.
    Both would do the job of home protection.

So, the only real decision is for the Ruger to take the place of the home protection Smith 64.
    I'd love to get my wife involved and have her choose whichever one she wanted, if she would use one, but she won't.

I will enjoy shooting the Ruger LCRx while I make up my mind what to do.
    No rush. It took me month of experimenting to decide on a 9mm so which .38 will take a bit of time as well perhaps.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A 3" barrel LCRx would be tough to pocket carry. It is longer, has a hammer that will snag when drawing and probably has adjustable sights which will snag. A 3" barrel revolver with adjustable sight is essentially a "kit gun". Fantastic choice for field or range or as a first gun when learning how to shoot. It would make a good home defense gun as well, although a K frame model 64 is hard to beat. It sounds like the revolvers are agreeing with you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A 3" barrel LCRx would be tough to pocket carry. It is longer, has a hammer that will snag when drawing and probably has adjustable sights which will snag. A 3" barrel revolver with adjustable sight is essentially a "kit gun". Fantastic choice for field or range or as a first gun when learning how to shoot. It would make a good home defense gun as well, although a K frame model 64 is hard to beat. It sounds like the revolvers are agreeing with you.

1. Yes, I'm a revolver man.
    2. I've always had a semi on the side when I was in my 20s, an Army issue Luger (probably for practice), and I loved that gun and wish I would have kept it. Also, I had a Ruger semi that I enjoyed.
    3. I bought a S/W Victory this past summer, when I got back into guns (after nearly 30 yrs.) but sold it about as soon as I had bought it to help pay for my "expensive" $600 Ruger GP100 .22 revolver that I really wanted. In my day when younger I had a dozen .22s, but they were all $10-$30 guns: cheap for even then. :laugh:
    4. If I would have known at the time I was going to buy so many guns since May, I might have kept it, but I love the Sig Sauer 1911-22 semi that I got from a member here for a great price.

5. Your comments are "spot-on" about the Ruger LCRx and its practical application for me.
    6. I knew when I bought the Ruger that I wouldn't replace my S/W 642 1.87" barrel for a 3" barrel for a pocket carry (even if a get a Ergo Delta grip for it), plus the 642 fits well in an ankle holster I bought recently, as well.
    7. The true decision will be for the S/W 64 replacement at home, but since I will sell the 64 that has the OEM grips (whenever and after I clean it up to be pretty being SS with black residue on it from shooting 200ish rounds through it), that will give me $$ replacement to "sit" on the next level of decision of which to sell for home use. I really tried processing with the wife about her using one of 38s at home, but I couldn't talk her into it. :wallbash: I would have kept both in that case: one 38 for me and one for her.
    8. As I do with any gun I buy, I will enjoy shooting it during the processing. I could just stick with Stainless (which I love) and the name Smith, or since they are different guns, keep both for awhile, especially since I have the "free" shooting pass ($35/mo.) at Point Blank off 116th St. (N. up Pennsylvania, right on: 1250 W City Center Drive).
    9. The negative is that .38 shells are so expensive for range use and I have used up the few I bought used and have been looking for more, but used people are asking about the same price that I can get them new on sale, or they are selling only a small quantity or they live to far away for me to want to drive. :dunno: I enjoy shooting my .22s more and would like to have a "bevy" of them like I used to, but my gun money has been spread out on other calibers and I bought the GP100 so I wouldn't be tempted to do buy more .22s, but I look and I want. I even would like to have a small break down barrel in .22, .25 or .32, just for fun: sorry. :dunno: I'm naturally fascinated by small-guns.
    10. I do enjoy having a different "flavor" of gun to shoot, however.
    11. If we buy a house, I might have to sell nearly all of my guns, anyway. I house we put a bid on, came back up on the market and they asked us if we were still interested, but we had come to our senses (meaning wife said no :laugh:) and decided we didn't want to spend $155,000 for a house before retirement since ours will sell for less and I'd have to spend some of the pile of money (little as a teacher) for retirement.
    12. I enjoyed talking with the guy I bought the Ruger off of, b/c he only had so much money he would spend on guns (b/c he had 3 MCs in the garage). He showed me a beautiful .357 he had saved up for 2-3 years to buy b/c it was a pricey (by our standards :laugh:) I totally knew where he was coming from: my kind of guy! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was shooting the Ruger LCRx tonight and was using +P ammo with it, and I could tell it was +P, I'd never fired any +P before. :dunno:
    After shooting a box of +P I started on regular range 38 shells.
    I didn't even finish the box of range shells b/c I had made up my mind to keep my beloved S/W 64-8, SS, 6 shot, 4" barrel, b/c it is heavy and I just love it.
    The lightweight Ruger LCRx biggest attribute is that it is uncannily light in my hand. Remarkably so.
    But, I'm not going to carry it, and at home, I'll stick to my Smith.
    I think I'll get an ad in soon, but I'm just too tired tonight after my wife working my around the house getting it ready to sell possibly.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THe LCR and LCRx are great guns, without a doubt.
    As others have said, I see them as more of a kit gun, or the shorter LCR as a deep-cover / ankle gun

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    510picker was reading this thread and saw the reference about selling the Ruger and he is buying it tomorrow.
    The last time I was going to put a gun up for sale (my Smith 64-8 model, SS, 4" barrel,38 special +P, 6 shot) I didn't have to even bother to advertise b/c someone spoke up and grabbed it: easy for me.
    I got a good deal when I bought the gun off voodoo304 for $300, and just passed the deal forward to 510picker.
    I bought another gun today, but that's another thread (tilt-up barrel .22)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pleasure meeting you today! Thanks for passing on the deal to me. The Ruger is a great gun!

1. Glad to do so! :thumbsup:
    2. I really enjoyed meeting you and doing business with you. :delivery:
    3. I think it is so cool that when I bought it you were interested in it then, and then ended up with it after I enjoyed it. :ar15:
    4. I have gone down from 3 to 1 38 calibers, and from 6 down to 1 9mms.
    5. I keep buying more 22s though, which has always been my first love from my youth.

Top Bottom